Uncomfortable Beds on Epic?

jgreenwo17

My wife and I have been on 10 cruises with various lines and have slept pretty comfortably on all but the one we are on.  We are currently on the Epic touring Greece and Italy.  My wife can't get a good nights sleep because of our uncomfortable bed.  We are in a mini suite.  Has anyone out there have the same complaint?

We were on the Joy a couple of years ago and did not find the beds to be uncomfortable.  We are considering another cruise to NZ/Australia on the Spirit next year.

We are a little paranoid now about the lack of uncomfortable beds on Norwegian.

Your thoughts would be welcome.

Greeny from SLC

14 hours ago, jgreenwo17 said:

Has anyone out there have the same complaint?

I'm sure someone does have the same complaint.  Just like folks complain about mattresses in hotels.  Maybe the 400 people who cruised before you in that cabin wore it out.  Maybe the kids in that cabin on the prior cruise were jumping on the bed.  Are the mattresses on the Epic the same as on the Spirit - who knows.  If you didn't like the mattress, maybe you should write FDR and ask that they add a 'mattress to your liking' perk in the Free At Sea Package.  But it sounds like most found the mattresses just fine, as have I.

Those are my thoughts.  You're welcome.

Edited by HuliHuli
Typo
  • Haha 1

been on the epic twice, never had a problem with the mattresses, although, being a vietnam vet, i'm blessed with  the ability to sleep comfortably almost anywhere, anytime.

next time, have the cabin steward add a topper to the bed, it might help

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Was just going to recommend that you request a mattress topper. They will accommodate if they have any left. I don’t recall having specific issues with the mattress on Epic but like food, comfort in a mattress is subjective. I find celebrity mattresses to be like sleeping on a roll away cot while others rave about the comfort. 

3 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

I'm sure someone does have the same complaint.  Just like folks complain about mattresses in hotels.  Maybe the 400 people who cruised before you in that cabin wore it out.  Maybe the kids in that cabin on the prior cruise were jumping on the bed.  Are the mattresses on the Epic the same as on the Spirit - who knows.  If you didn't like the mattress, maybe you should write FDR and ask that they add a 'mattress to your liking' perk in the Free At Sea Package.  But it sounds like most found the mattresses just fine, as have I.

Those are my thoughts.  You're welcome.

🙄

• Like 2

Request a mattress topper, double up if necessary, via your friendly room steward.  Or, ask if s/he can switch you to a newer/firmer mattress ... we're onboard one of the Away/+ ships several years ago in a balcony and found that to be too soft & the springs were worn.  Subsequently, learned that they are in the process of replacing & putting in new ones ... some of the bedding do run into excessive wear & tear for variety of reaons.  

If you don't find the solution(s) given satisfactory & your back is not happy, escalate & ask for the housekeeping supervisor or assistant guest services manager, as they are usually responsive ... it's not as if most ships are sailing full at 100% capacity these days and they can't exchange or swap out a better one for you.  Solutions are right there onboard ... read & share on CC afterward as we can't speed dial 00 on your behalf.  Good luck & let us know since you are still on the ship/at sea, etc. etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious what made the mattress uncomfortable. My wife has back issues and she likes a VERY firm mattress, preferably made of granite, LOL. All kidding aside, I think this is another one of those subjective issues. (Drinks are too strong/too weak, food is too spicy/not spicy enough, too salty/not enough salt, etc.) I am comfortable on just about any kind of bed, but I know others prefer varying levels of firmness.

We were lucky to cruise four times in 2022. Getaway, Pearl, Breakaway and Prima. Making up for lost time. The only bed that I found to be uncomfortable was on the Breakaway. This was a Canada New England itinerary at the beginning of September. The mattress was just a little too firm for me. We asked for a mattress topper. Our steward couldn't find one. He said there were a lot of old people on the trip who had requested them ahead of time, and they ran out!  He ended up putting an extra comforter in place of a topper. This really helped. I felt bad for him because he seemed really worried that I would not be happy with that. I appreciated the extra effort, and told him how much better it was. I couldn't help thinking that some people must really give them a hard time if they don't get everything they want. Some people just are not very nice.

I used to like a firm mattress for my back, but now my hip needs a softer one. I just started bringing a  piece of fake lamb's wool to put under my hip when I sleep in my side. I guess this sounds like high maintenance, but it is lightweight and does not take up that much space.

• Like 1