How many bags of laundry on a fifteen day cruise?

trivimp

The Guy & I are platinum/sapphire, which means one bag of laundry each on a seven-day.  We did four bags total on our last B2B, it was nice to be able to pack so light!  Does anyone know for sure how many bags of laundry will we be able to get on our fifteen-day Panama transit next spring?   I'm getting conflicting info when I use the search function.

12 minutes ago, trivimp said:

The Guy & I are platinum/sapphire, which means one bag of laundry each on a seven-day.  We did four bags total on our last B2B, it was nice to be able to pack so light!  Does anyone know for sure how many bags of laundry will we be able to get on our fifteen-day Panama transit next spring?   I'm getting conflicting info when I use the search function.

We only take 15 days plus cruises and in the past i have been able to do laundry twice. It really depends on the cruise next manager, 9 times out of 10 they allow it. We are both Diamond so we try to work it out to do our laundry together and extend that perk , the problem are those flimsy bags LOL...the rip easily.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

We only take 15 days plus cruises and in the past i have been able to do laundry twice. It really depends on the cruise next manager, 9 times out of 10 they allow it.

Exactly what I was told, by the CN manager.  Doesn't help with the packing when you don't know ahead of time.  Have a 14 day coming up, worst case scenario, I end up paying $30 for a 2nd bag.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Exactly what I was told, by the CN manager.  Doesn't help with the packing when you don't know ahead of time.  Have a 14 day coming up, worst case scenario, I end up paying $30 for a 2nd bag.

"paying $30 for a 2nd bag" is a choice you make.  Life's full of choices - pack more or pay for laundry.  Isn't that great?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Thankfully we have never had to pay for laundry on the ship, only once, did we have to do extra laundry and we waited when they had the special half off for a bag of laundry...

42 minutes ago, HuliHuli said:

"paying $30 for a 2nd bag" is a choice you make.  Life's full of choices - pack more or pay for laundry.  Isn't that great?

You left out the other two choices.  Go around in smelly clothes....or naked.   :D

Edited by oteixeira
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

You left out the other two choices.  Go around in smelly clothes....or naked.   😄

Actually if one follows the NCL attire guide lines one could simply wear a pair of shorts and a T and go commando. That plus a pair of better flip flops and your entire wardrobe fits in a dopp kit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Actually if one follows the NCL attire guide lines one could simply wear a pair of shorts and a T and go commando. That plus a pair of better flip flops and your entire wardrobe fits in a dopp kit.

Going to Antarctica - might be a tad cold!  

• Haha 1

Ah, well, it's not going to break the bank if I end up paying for an extra bag of laundry.  I just need to be able to tell the Guy what to pack, which he will ignore anyway.  

@spanishguy1970 : pull a pillowcase off the pillow, stuff the laundry in there, then leave it on the bed with the laundry bag & slip.  (Don't overstuff it, you want it to look like it might plausibly fit into the sack but you were leery of tearing it.)  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We usually travel light and I learned a good laundry trick.  Bring along a few smaller plastic trash bags (not the big kitchen kind).  Take the flimsy, easily ripped paper laundry bag and put the plastic bag inside it as a liner.  Roll up your stuff as tightly as you can (keeping inventory on the check list as you go so you don't have to unpack everything again to count it).  You will be shocked at how much you can stuff in that bag now that it does not rip easily. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

We usually travel light and I learned a good laundry trick.  Bring along a few smaller plastic trash bags (not the big kitchen kind).  Take the flimsy, easily ripped paper laundry bag and put the plastic bag inside it as a liner.  Roll up your stuff as tightly as you can (keeping inventory on the check list as you go so you don't have to unpack everything again to count it).  You will be shocked at how much you can stuff in that bag now that it does not rip easily. 

Thanks for the tip but specifically what size plastic trash bag?  13 gallon or something smaller?

Can’t a person just ask the steward to do a load of laundry whenever he wants and just pay the menu price?    I mean is it not true that the only function of the little $30 bag is to give people a break in the price.   But when you need laundry done you can have it whenever you want.   The machines are running 24/7.   Jees all you old money people taking 3 cruises a year and your wringing your hands about a laundry tab?

Since becoming Platinum and gaining the free laundry perk, we have never paid for laundry service on any NCL cruise.  Even though both DW and I are Diamond now, the Cruise Next team only leaves a single coupon in our room.  We use that with the first bag that we submit on the cruise, then simply write "FREE - Diamond" on the laundry list for the second, third, or fourth bag that we turn in.  We have never been questioned about it and never charged a fee.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Since becoming Platinum and gaining the free laundry perk, we have never paid for laundry service on any NCL cruise.  Even though both DW and I are Diamond now, the Cruise Next team only leaves a single coupon in our room.  We use that with the first bag that we submit on the cruise, then simply write "FREE - Diamond" on the laundry list for the second, third, or fourth bag that we turn in.  We have never been questioned about it and never charged a fee.

The coupon isn't really a coupon and isn't necessary.  Instructions just say to put your name, state room #, and latitudes status on the slip.  Hard to say if they really keep track or just check your status.

11 hours ago, julig22 said:

The coupon isn't really a coupon and isn't necessary.  Instructions just say to put your name, state room #, and latitudes status on the slip.  Hard to say if they really keep track or just check your status.

It actually is kind of a coupon.  The Cruise Next folks will leave a welcome pack in your room.  Part of that includes a packet of coupons, one for specialty dining with a bottle of wine, one for specialty dining without wine, and one for a free bag of laundry.  The instructions with the packet used to specify that you should tear off each coupon as you need it, present the dining coupons to the hostess at the specialty restaurants you have chosen, and include the laundry coupon with the list you submit with your laundry bag.  We have been at least Platinum for our last 20 or so NCL cruises.  Having used the coupons so often, I no longer bother to read the instructions, but just use them the way I always have.  If the instructions have changed and no longer say to include the coupon with your laundry, I missed the memo on that one.  I don't suppose it hurts anything to include the coupon with one of the bags of laundry, but we do always write "FREE - Diamond Latitudes" on the ticket.  We have never had a problem getting free laundry service for as many bags per cruise as we want.

16 hours ago, oteixeira said:

You left out the other two choices.  Go around in smelly clothes....or naked.   😄

I came here to say that....but with cruises I shower multiple times a day. Thermal suite, then I take advantage of the multiple nozzles in the bathroom to get me nice and clean. I can say, without embarrassment, that I wore three outfits for a nine day cruise and didn't smell. Husband did the same. No laundry, barely any packing, just lots of showers which I enjoyed. 

4 hours ago, fredflint said:

We had a jetted tub one time and I used that to do our laundry, I have a video somewhere.

Hey, not a bad use of a jetted tub (unless it sucks up your socks!).  My husband took a video of me doing the laundry like a grape stomper in the bathtub at a hotel in Venice. 

• Haha 2