What’s cruising solo like aboard NCL?

After my Carnival cruise in December in which I turn platinum I plan on expanding my cruising experiences have a MSC cruise booked and I am close to pulling the trigger on an Escape or Breakaway cruise out of Orlando in a studio cabin. Just curious what the experience would be like and any tips for a first time NCL cruiser. 

The studio area looks really neat and something I would enjoy, Do they plan activities for the solo cruisers? And seat us all together at dinner? Pictures show a bar in the studio area is that always manned? 

Thank you all. 

I've done several solo cruises on NCL. On embarkation day, there is usually an announcement in the freestyle daily about where to meet. From there the group heads to the studio lounge for a meet and greet.

Each evening, there's a designated time to meetup. The solo host will find out who all waits to go to dinner as a group each night. The host will also coordinate a time for the group to see a show (at least, this was the process on the Escape).

I'm going to be sailing solo on Prima on the November 26 sailing so hopefully the process I recall from the Escape will be similar on Prima.

I took my first solo cruise this year on the Joy, 7 days. I went all out and upgraded to The Haven. It was kinda obnoxious getting asked all the time why i was alone, but I made a lot of cruise friends without ever going to a mingle meet up. I did excursions, activities, the gym every morning. If you have a fun, outgoing personality, you can have an awesome solo adventurer 

57 minutes ago, cb2367 said:

I've done several solo cruises on NCL. On embarkation day, there is usually an announcement in the freestyle daily about where to meet. From there the group heads to the studio lounge for a meet and greet.

Each evening, there's a designated time to meetup. The solo host will find out who all waits to go to dinner as a group each night. The host will also coordinate a time for the group to see a show (at least, this was the process on the Escape).

I'm going to be sailing solo on Prima on the November 26 sailing so hopefully the process I recall from the Escape will be similar on Prima.

I have cruised solo often on NCL.  The process above it pretty much the same on all of the ships (at least those with studios). In my experience, there is usually at least one or two people in the solo group that you will 'click' with and end up dining, going to shows and doing excursions with off the ship. If that doesn't happen, there is always the group dinners in the evening. 

The bar is only manned during the evening (5:30pm) meetings in the lounge. But there are always snacks, juices and coffee available 24/7. Every cruise is different and sometimes there are only 12-15 solos at the meetings and, as the case on the Prima TA, there were over 100 solos. I have met several great solos on NCL and cruised with them again. Much better than my experiences sailing solo on Carnival and RCL.

• Like 4

In the last year I’ve done a solo B2B on the Bliss and solo on the Encore.  I did not attend any solo gatherings but I loved the Cruise Cruise meet and greet and pub crawl on the Bliss.  I did meet people to enjoy dinners with but found that when I was using a latitudes coupon and dining solo I felt a little bit awkward and tended to eat quickly then leave rather than linger.  
Just like cruising with friends or family, cruising solo is what you make of it.  I loved listening to audiobooks while lounging on the top deck but that was Spring Break and wow did I need to decompress!

I like to find “my bar” and get to know the regular crowd there.  I found as a solo I went to bed a little earlier but that was fine.  For shore excursions I did them all through NCL on the Bliss to Mexico and didn’t do any in the Encore to Alaska.

One of the benefits of cruising solo is you are in charge of the cabin thermostat!! Another benefit is you never need to compromise in selecting your daily activities.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, globetrotterjay said:

I took my first solo cruise this year on the Joy, 7 days. I went all out and upgraded to The Haven. It was kinda obnoxious getting asked all the time why i was alone, but I made a lot of cruise friends without ever going to a mingle meet up. I did excursions, activities, the gym every morning. If you have a fun, outgoing personality, you can have an awesome solo adventurer 

Have cruised many times solo, even in the Haven.

Booked a solo cabin once.  It was fine, but small.  I only met up with other solos once.  Personally, I find I can make cruise friends fine on my own without organized solo activities.

NCL does a nice job in accommodating solos (particularly recently, since the restart).  Celebrity makes solos feel welcome, too.

Now, it’s to the point where I’ve cruised solo so much, I don’t hesitate to book a cruise solo that I may like.

As mentioned previously, you come and go as you choose.  You don’t have to take turns getting ready (although the big showers in the Haven cabins are fun).

You pick and choose where, when and what you do, as you have final “say so”.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 4

I've cruised NCL solo, twice.  The first time was in a Studio, I met some great people, including @debenson0723 and had a WONDERFUL time.  I went to the solo gatherings, did activities with the group, met some other people I ended up going to specialty dining with 3 times.  The second time was on a ship without a Studio area, ended up meeting some great people and had dinner with them every night except the first one and never went to the solo gathering.

As said - solo cruising is what you make of it.  If you want to be social, do it.  Get out, enjoy the activities and interact with others if that's what you want.  Sometimes just sitting someplace and having something happen that could be a conversation starter (happened with me on my first NCL trip, was in the OL trying to read when we started seeing whales breaching).

Of course - if you want to keep to yourself you can certainly do that!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The BA and GA might be the only ones with a bar in the Studio lounge.  However - they DID have a bartender or server come in a couple times during my Bliss cruise and see if anyone wanted drinks (against their drink package of course) and brought them from a nearby bar.  The solo host may need to request that service.

Cruised solo on NCL several times in the solo cabins. They do have a Solo guest coordinator who will arrange dinners and shows, but I normally just go out on my own. Given the choice between the Breakaway and Escape, I would choose the Escape. It has the District Brew House, Pincho Tapas, and Food Republic, which don't exist on the Breakaway... 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, kelib said:

Not sure about the Breakaway but the Escape does not have a bar. But the lounge does have a great coffee machine, pastries in the morning and snacks later on.

The Studio Bar had limited drink options, and the bartender was there only a very limited time.

Coffee machine is nice and getting breakfast pastries every a.m. vs fighting the buffet crowd or waiting around at the MDR to be served was a nice touch.

My Studio stay wasn't all "that" given the door to the other "studio" was pretty thin.  I could hear my neighbor snore at night....and was privy to other sounds that I could only guess at.  Plus, my shower door banged into my neighbor's door.  So, not a great fist impression of the Studio, but it was my only encounter with it, too.

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

My Studio stay wasn't all "that" given the door to the other "studio" was pretty thin.  I could hear my neighbor snore at night....and was privy to other sounds that I could only guess at.  Plus, my shower door banged into my neighbor's door.

Yes, I definitely do not recommend getting a studio cabin that connects.  I've been in them on the Epic twice.  First time was an end room with no connection and it was great.  Second time, had a connecting room and I could hear everything over there, including their coughing and ended up sick myself a few days into the cruise.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, globetrotterjay said:

If you have a fun, outgoing personality, you can have an awesome solo adventurer 

Very true,  I do almost all solo trips. Dinner is a little ackward but I don't eat much.  Eat it fast like at home and get on with the evening. Avoids chit chat, you can do that anywhere.

Edited by glentally

This January will be my fifth cruise with NCL - all of them solo 😎

I have never been in a studio but have one booked on this upcoming cruise.

I cruise for rest and relaxation so I don’t attend any single functions, however I always meet nice people and they have often invited me to join them at a table or for a show. I eat all my meals at the speciality restaurants and have always been treated well. The only exception has been Teppanyaki where I was seated, twice, with people who were not into it. Since I’m staying in a studio, I will keep an eye out if they have a singles group sign up for Teppanyaki 😋.

Bottom line is I have never felt like I was getting second class treatment because I am traveling solo AND  I have never paid a 100% supplement 😎

I’ve traveled solo a few times, but never felt like alone.  Always met people, right from Sailaway and at the solo gatherings.  I’m still in touch with many of them.  Others’ advice is good.  Join your roll call, find your cruise’s group on “the other place”, do a pub crawl with the group if there is one, go to the Meet and Greet and go to the nightly solo gatherings.  Chances are you’ll meet up with at least one other person that you “connect” with.  If not, all is good too.  NCL is great for solo cruisers.  You’ll never feel out of place or looked down on.

as far as the studios go, I’ve stayed in them twice.  Loved my little room.  And absolutely loved the coffee machine in the studio lounge.  Best coffee on the ship and it’s free.  😃. Pre-Covid, they had the nightly solo gatherings in the studio lounge.  The four I’ve done post-Covid, the gathering was in another bar onboard.  Either way is fine.  They will arrange group dinners, shows, etc.  

One more note.  You don’t need to be in a Studio to go to the gatherings, even if they are in the Studio Lounge.  They will prop the door open and anyone can get in during that time.  There was a “bar” set up on the Epic during the solo meetup.  There wasn’t one on the Escape or Breakaway, at least when I was on them. 

Just go and have a great time!  The trip will be what you make it.  I was really nervous the first time I went alone, but never regretted it and would do it again any time!

I’m going solo on the Bliss in April. Should I book my show reservations when I book my specialty dining reservations or wait till I am onboard and go with the solo group? The whole Haven class is chartered on my cruise, so I am worried they’re going to take up a lot of show space.

Just finished my 5th solo cruise this morning.  The only thing I'll add is that it looks like the solo gatherings are no longer in the solo lounge.  I was on the getaway and we had most of our meetings in Bliss.  I asked our coordinator why the change and she said it was a hassle and safety issues with propping the door open to the studio area for those not staying in the studios 

10 hours ago, CruiseBunny425 said:

I’m going solo on the Bliss in April. Should I book my show reservations when I book my specialty dining reservations or wait till I am onboard and go with the solo group? The whole Haven class is chartered on my cruise, so I am worried they’re going to take up a lot of show space.

Our coordinator on the cruise I just finished did have a section for the solos to sit together, but we still had to do our own reservations for the shows.  

You don’t have to be outgoing to enjoy cruising solo. I’m introverted and have never had a problem. It is a great way to truly relax and as many have said you don’t have to compromise on meals, activities, or shows. Another vote for the solo lounge and the coffee machine, loved it.

• Like 1

I'm always solo in my cabin, though I usually am travelling with friends.  Even then, I'm often on my own by choice.  I've dined solo in specialty restaurants but I've occasionally met people in a bar whom I've joined for dinner.  NCL does go out of their way to accommodate solos:  They were the first with studio cabins and they always have a solo meetup, even on ships without the studios, though I've personally never attended.  I don't do M&Gs either (just a social anxiety thing about larger groups,) which would be another good way to meet folks.  Remember, you needn't limit yourself to other singles.  

At the end of the day, it's what you make out of it.  If you're reasonably outgoing, you'll meet people.

As we all know there is no cookie cutter answer.  Depends mostly on you as a solo cruiser and what experience you want to have.  I can be very outgoing when I choose and find that doing things solo (not just cruising) actually opens me up to more experiences.  I can try new things without worrying about what other people want to do.  And when you're solo it seems people are more open to engaging with you out of the blue versus when you're with other and they don't want to intrude. 

Specifically with NCL, I have been on a smaller ship where no one showed up to any meetings so after day 2 the staff moved on to other duties and I shrugged and amused myself elsewhere, including crashing a honeymoon (couple I saw all the time on and off the ship lol).  On the Bliss it was the complete opposite and opportunities for group dinners, shows, cart racing, etc. were arranged daily.

Or you could even cuddle into a lounger on the observation deck and spend your trip reading a book by yourself if you choose.

Edited by Monty24

4 hours ago, Monty24 said:

As we all know there is no cookie cutter answer.  Depends mostly on you as a solo cruiser and what experience you want to have.  I can be very outgoing when I choose and find that doing things solo (not just cruising) actually opens me up to more experiences.  I can try new things without worrying about what other people want to do.  And when you're solo it seems people are more open to engaging with you out of the blue versus when you're with other and they don't want to intrude. 

Specifically with NCL, I have been on a smaller ship where no one showed up to any meetings so after day 2 the staff moved on to other duties and I shrugged and amused myself elsewhere, including crashing a honeymoon (couple I saw all the time on and off the ship lol).  On the Bliss it was the complete opposite and opportunities for group dinners, shows, cart racing, etc. were arranged daily.

Or you could even cuddle into a lounger on the observation deck and spend your trip reading a book by yourself if you choose.

funny, I never attached it to smaller ships, but I did my first solo on the Pearl, and two of us showed up for the solo gatherings on the first night, and I was the only person on the 2nd.  Since then, I've done solos on the ships (Breakaway and Getaway) and the meetings are almost standing room only because they are so well attended.  I just got of the Getaway yesterday and we routinely had two long tables full of people go to dinner.  We had the meet-up in Bliss rather than the solo lounge and were still packing the place.

If you look at my signature, everything from 2017 to now has been solo. I love cruising solo on NCL because they a nightly hosted solo gathering. I always go the first night to see what the vibe is and if I get along with the others. If I do, I keep going back and making friends. If not, I just do my own thing and meet people through other means. I love having my alone time in the day to lay in a lounger and read my book. If I'm on a bigger ship, I'll get a vibe beach club pass. On smaller ships, I always get a thermal suite pass. I personally like having a "a spot" to go where I feel comfortable, peaceful and happy. 

I cruise for a variety of reasons. If I want to sleep until noon, I do. If I want to wake up at 6am and work out, I do that. I love being in control of my schedule and being able to decide things last minute. Sometimes I'll find people to dine with at night, but if I go alone, it's not a big deal. I bring my Kindle to read. NCL has a much better buffet than Carnival, so I have no problem eating in the buffet for dinner on NCL if I want something quick and casual. 

• Like 1

Cruising solo is really just cruising by yourself.  That's it. After that it's up to you. The beauty of it is that you do whatever you want on your own schedule. I don't really look for a group or others to hang around with. I'll talk to people at the bars but pretty much I'm cruising solo to just relax. But if someone cruising solo wants to meet up with others every day that's possible too. On my transatlantic I went to the first solo gathering and quickly decided it wasn't my thing, but I saw others from that group hanging together so it's up to the individual.