Can you still order 2 items at once in MDR?

oyme

On 10/20/2022 at 5:47 PM, nybumpkin said:

When we sailed on Magic in August several of our tablemates ordered multiple appetizers and entrees. I'm more inclined to order multiple appetizers and skip the entrees - I just think the appetizers are better.

There's usually at least one night on every cruise when none of the entrees interests me so I order a meal of about 4 appetizers.  I usually wind up getting the appetizer size portion of the pasta entree as my last appetizer/"main" because although its good, I don't need the carbs from a full entree size pasta dish.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2022 at 3:03 PM, oyme said:

With all the recent cutbacks is Carnival still allowing you to order 2 appetizers at once or 2 entrees at once or 2 desserts at once, etc. in the MDR? 

For now, at least.  Expect a surcharge for multiple entrees (like at the steakhouse) at some point if things continue in their current direction.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

There's usually at least one night on every cruise when none of the entrees interests me so I order a meal of about 4 appetizers.  I usually wind up getting the appetizer size portion of the pasta entree as my last appetizer/"main" because although its good, I don't need the carbs from a full entree size pasta dish.

It was about 10 years ago that Carnival announced that a "starter portion" of the evening's pasta was available for guests who requested it. We hopped on board and now order like this: app, pasta, entrée, salad or soup after main course, dessert and coffee. We're in no rush so YTD works for us with the number of courses we prefer. We have dual citizenship and still order salad after the entrée because that's how we were raised.  

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

It was about 10 years ago that Carnival announced that a "starter portion" of the evening's pasta was available for guests who requested it. 

For the longest time this wasn't well-publicized or even on the menu; you just had to know to ask for it.

But on the Splendor cruise I got off of this week the night's pasta dish was also listed as an appetizer every night.  Could just be another cost-cuttig tactic though... offer one less appetizer and have the pasta dish do double duty by listing it as an appetizer and entree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

For the longest time this wasn't well-publicized or even on the menu; you just had to know to ask for it.

But on the Splendor cruise I got off of this week the night's pasta dish was also listed as an appetizer every night.  Could just be another cost-cuttig tactic though... offer one less appetizer and have the pasta dish do double duty by listing it as an appetizer and entree.

a WASTE cutting strategy. FIFY.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Perhaps not *every* night.

I count 10 appetizers on this menu - how many do you need? A number of people have mentioned they sometimes have a dinner of appetizers. Listing the pasta twice gives them an EXTRA choice.

QR_MENU_D5-50-082022[1].pdf

12 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

For now, at least.  Expect a surcharge for multiple entrees (like at the steakhouse) at some point if things continue in their current direction.

Can never see it coming.  They have already reduced the quality of items like the everyday steak going from strip steak to flat iron to strip loin, combined with the elimination of the filet at the brunch and the size of many entrees being reduced.  If they ever decide to charge extra for a second entree at the MDR, it could result in an exodus to their competition.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

There's usually at least one night on every cruise when none of the entrees interests me so I order a meal of about 4 appetizers.

That happened to my friend Kathy on our just-finished Horizon cruise.  

Not only did the mains not interest her that evening, but they front-loaded a bunch of her favorite appetizers that night, so she ordered all four apps that she liked.  Our (awesome) server didn't even bat an eyelash.  

18 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I usually wind up getting the appetizer size portion of the pasta entree as my last appetizer/"main" because although its good, I don't need the carbs from a full entree size pasta dish.

lol, I've seldom if ever seen a reduced portion of the pasta served as my appetizer.  On our last cruise we compared one "appetizer-sized" serving and one regular serving and, if anything, the app was slightly larger.  

On the Horizon, we DID notice that the daily pasta offering was usually -- but not always -- offered on the menu as an appetizer as well.  (I think there were two nights where it wasn't listed twice.)   We all thought it was about time they codified on the menu what we've always known was the case:  you CAN get the night's pasta entree as an appetizer.  

2 hours ago, Pellaz said:

That happened to my friend Kathy on our just-finished Horizon cruise.  

Not only did the mains not interest her that evening, but they front-loaded a bunch of her favorite appetizers that night, so she ordered all four apps that she liked.  Our (awesome) server didn't even bat an eyelash.  

lol, I've seldom if ever seen a reduced portion of the pasta served as my appetizer.  On our last cruise we compared one "appetizer-sized" serving and one regular serving and, if anything, the app was slightly larger.  

On the Horizon, we DID notice that the daily pasta offering was usually -- but not always -- offered on the menu as an appetizer as well.  (I think there were two nights where it wasn't listed twice.)   We all thought it was about time they codified on the menu what we've always known was the case:  you CAN get the night's pasta entree as an appetizer.  

The appetizer size portion should come in a smaller bowl. Even though I emphasize the appetizer size (like twice) when ordering, occasionally they bring the entree portion anyway.

41 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

This happened to us once and the waiter must have seen our surprised faces and he said: " It was faster to bring these. "

Also it seems some think they can make you happier by bringing you more food, whether or not you really wanted it.  While the Spaghetti Carbonara is good (usually), I just want a small portion, not 2000 empty calories of eggs, cheese, cream, and pasta.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Also it seems some think they can make you happier by bringing you more food, whether or not you really wanted it.  While the Spaghetti Carbonara is good (usually), I just want a small portion, not 2000 empty calories of eggs, cheese, cream, and pasta.

and BACON

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I ordered linguini on Mardi Gras last week. I got one clam in the shell, and 7 empty shells. Another item they call clam chowder is actually potato chowder with a clam waived over the pot while cooking. The free lobster on the first elegant night is limited to four per person. I had to order four because where I am from the ones served are called crawdads.

I still see plates full of food being sent to the digester. I feel if you cannot nearly clean the plate don't order it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Moviela said:

I ordered linguini on Mardi Gras last week. I got one clam in the shell, and 7 empty shells. Another item they call clam chowder is actually potato chowder with a clam waived over the pot while cooking. The free lobster on the first elegant night is limited to four per person. I had to order four because where I am from the ones served are called crawdads.

Hmm, can anyone else confirm that there is a hard limit of four (4)  lobster tails on Cruise Elegant night?    It's the first I've heard of it.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2022 at 1:44 AM, Pellaz said:

Hmm, can anyone else confirm that there is a hard limit of four (4)  lobster tails on Cruise Elegant night?    It's the first I've heard of it.  

Well they changed things, almost like I predicted the future (I'm OP). 2 entrees now then 3rd+ are $5.00. Only 2 lobster tails for you (or anyone) unless you want to pay. $5 isn't too bad for lobster I suppose.

Bummer but 2 entrees will do if I'm indecisive. There's always other food options after MDR like Buffet or pizza.

Edited by oyme
clarifying details

31 minutes ago, oyme said:

Well they changed things, almost like I predicted the future (I'm OP). 2 entrees now then 3rd+ are $5.00. Only 2 lobster tails for you (or anyone) unless you want to pay. $5 isn't too bad for lobster I suppose.

Bummer but 2 entrees will do if I'm indecisive. There's always other food options after MDR like Buffet or pizza.

And you can order appetizer portions of entrees, unless I read that incorrectly.  I think that's a good thing!

On 10/22/2022 at 4:31 PM, BlerkOne said:

Perhaps not *every* night.

I count 10 appetizers on this menu - how many do you need? A number of people have mentioned they sometimes have a dinner of appetizers. Listing the pasta twice gives them an EXTRA choice.

QR_MENU_D5-50-082022[1].pdf 757.5 kB · 31 downloads

Here's my dinner order based on your menu. Mmmmmm

3 or 4 pieces of petite sourdough, with butter

Steamed Mussels

Flat Bread

Caprese

Shrimp Cocktail

French Onion Soup

BBQ Pork Spareribs

Possibly, the Lasagna

Fresh Tropical Fruit - gotta be healthy, ya know!

Yummmmmmm