FACIAL RECOGNITION?

GeriatricNurse

US Customs does, yes, on the way out, making it VERY easy to get out of the pier and be on your merry way.

That said, if your passport photo is off from your current look (beard, longer hair, whatever), you get shunted to the side for the old-timey way of someone eyeballing your documents and making sure it's you.

1 hour ago, JGmf said:

That said, if your passport photo is off from your current look (beard, longer hair, whatever), you get shunted to the side for the old-timey way of someone eyeballing your documents and making sure it's you.

My experience in March counters this statement (neighbor, I'm near Albany!)

My passport was 9 years old this year (and has since been renewed), I've only had a beard since 2017 or so.  Port of Miami used facial recognition on debarkation and I was NOT pulled aside for further verification.

• Like 1

Norwegian ship(s) - hmm, specifically, the "Joy" security has been using facial recognition onboard before/at the gangways and not limited while berthed in NYC, not perfect and sometimes "not working" & resorting to old fashion card swiping and/or with a tap (NFC chip techs) ... you'll see uniformed ship security tilting & adjusting the funky looking tablet/iPad mini/camera at passengers (and, crews too) as they exit the ship or return after going ashore.  

P.S.  Take off those (sun)glasses or else, you'll be slowed down ...

2 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

Does the Manhattan Cruise Terminal have 'Facial Recognition'?

In Manhattan Cruise Terminal last week, independent facial recognition was used on the ship at disembarkation and at immigrations and customs (i.e., you swipe your face twice). 

Recently, we disembarked in Miami where we swiped our face onboard the ship and that cleared us for both the ship disembarkation and immigrations and customs (immigration officers were on the ship processing anyone who failed the face swipe). There were no additional checks in the Miami terminal. 

We were on the Bliss in September and returning to the ship from port (Juneau, I think).  So, generally people were getting a green screen with "welcome back" or something like that.  But the woman in front of me got a red screen that said something along the lines of, "Denied.  Security has more information.  Do not allow to board."  And the person sitting there by the screen saw that and let her board anyway - -- didn't say anything to anyone in security.  I don't know what was going on with this, but it did not instill in me any confidence about the security of this process.

12 hours ago, LadyZolt said:

We were on the Bliss in September and returning to the ship from port (Juneau, I think).  So, generally people were getting a green screen with "welcome back" or something like that.  But the woman in front of me got a red screen that said something along the lines of, "Denied.  Security has more information.  Do not allow to board."  And the person sitting there by the screen saw that and let her board anyway - -- didn't say anything to anyone in security.  I don't know what was going on with this, but it did not instill in me any confidence about the security of this process.

This has happened to my husband, not because he is a security risk, but because he has requested security scanning by a wand instead of going through the gate security.

He is waved through and at the point with the belt for personal items and  the gate to walk through, they  take him out of line for the once over with the wand..

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

This has happened to my husband, not because he is a security risk, but because he has requested security scanning by a wand instead of going through the gate security.

He is waved through and at the point with the belt for personal items and  the gate to walk through, they  take him out of line for the once over with the wand..

That didn’t happen with the woman I saw. She went right through ahead of us onto the ship. 

11 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

Where is this located?

8 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

This photo looks like it was taken at the exit of the ship at a port without a covered ramp.  Note the tents in the background.

The photo was actually from the Encore in Icy Strait, Alaska. 

It was the very first time that NCL used the system for disembarkation at a port of call. 

Edited by BirdTravels

My husband and I were on the Breakaway out of NYC last November. NCL used facial recognition instead of card swipes. For the most part it worked well, but they kept having to adjust the height of their camera down for me since I was in a wheelchair. Then they had to adjust the height back up after they scanned my face. It would have been easier to swipe 

2 hours ago, MaggieNY said:

My husband and I were on the Breakaway out of NYC last November. NCL used facial recognition instead of card swipes. For the most part it worked well, but they kept having to adjust the height of their camera down for me since I was in a wheelchair. Then they had to adjust the height back up after they scanned my face. It would have been easier to swipe 

Last year, they were using the facial recognition system both to "touchless swipe" you off/on the ship and it was also taking your temperature each time you got off/on looking for people with a fever. 

19 hours ago, LadyZolt said:

That didn’t happen with the woman I saw. She went right through ahead of us onto the ship. 

Let's get this clear.

As she was dinged onto the ship, she was waved on to proceed to the area where items are placed on a belt and one goes through the security gate.

Was that area immediately at the first security station where one is allowed entry onto the ship or was, as typical of many ships, beyond that area where there are more security crew to screen items and the guests.

In our experience, the alert that shows on the first screen is also transmitted to the second area (first person doesn't need to do the alert) where  a security person looks for him in that area's line and has him step around the gate for the wand check after he has placed his belongings on the belt. 

Unless one is playing very close attention to another passenger, one would not notice deviation at the second check point.

11 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Let's get this clear.

As she was dinged onto the ship, she was waved on to proceed to the area where items are placed on a belt and one goes through the security gate.

Was that area immediately at the first security station where one is allowed entry onto the ship or was, as typical of many ships, beyond that area where there are more security crew to screen items and the guests.

In our experience, the alert that shows on the first screen is also transmitted to the second area (first person doesn't need to do the alert) where  a security person looks for him in that area's line and has him step around the gate for the wand check after he has placed his belongings on the belt. 

Unless one is playing very close attention to another passenger, one would not notice deviation at the second check point.

I was absolutely paying attention to this woman specifically because she was right in front of me and, unlike others in front of her who had the screen turn green and were welcomed aboard, the screen for her turned RED and specifically said that Security should be involved before she was allowed to proceed.  The attendant noticed that as it was pretty clear that it was red and not green.  He then told her to go on ahead.  She didn't have any packages or anything else that would normally go through the scanner.  She walked through the metal detector and right onto the ship to where a lot of passengers were either going up the stairs or getting on the elevator to go to their rooms or wherever they wanted on the ship.  No one stopped her at all.  I watched this, surprised that there was no one doing anything in spite of the red screen denying her.  Again, as I posted originally, this did not instill any confidence in me with regard to this system.  I liked the idea that if I dropped my NCL card outside, no one could use it to board the ship since it wouldn't be my face and the facial recognition should flag it.  Then, this woman got the red screen saying "denied" and they just waved her right aboard anyway.  I would have preferred to have seen some security person, or her explaining something to the attendant when she saw it was red, or the attendant assuring her that he knew why it was red and it was okay because of some reason, etc.  But none of that happened.  

Just off the Joy, disembarking in Manhattan.  We used facial recognition.  There were the traditional Customs booths, which were staffed, but the vast majority of people bypassed them.  My friend is in the country on a green card and even he had no issue.

Husband and I went through Manhattan Cruise Terminal last month. He got sent to immigration after doing the facial recognition, on the way home.

He doesn't look much different than the photo on his passport, which he got in 2016, just a bit older. So not sure why. 

16 hours ago, LadyZolt said:

I was absolutely paying attention to this woman specifically because she was right in front of me and, unlike others in front of her who had the screen turn green and were welcomed aboard, the screen for her turned RED and specifically said that Security should be involved before she was allowed to proceed.  The attendant noticed that as it was pretty clear that it was red and not green.  He then told her to go on ahead.  She didn't have any packages or anything else that would normally go through the scanner.  She walked through the metal detector and right onto the ship to where a lot of passengers were either going up the stairs or getting on the elevator to go to their rooms or wherever they wanted on the ship.  No one stopped her at all.  I watched this, surprised that there was no one doing anything in spite of the red screen denying her.  Again, as I posted originally, this did not instill any confidence in me with regard to this system.  I liked the idea that if I dropped my NCL card outside, no one could use it to board the ship since it wouldn't be my face and the facial recognition should flag it.  Then, this woman got the red screen saying "denied" and they just waved her right aboard anyway.  I would have preferred to have seen some security person, or her explaining something to the attendant when she saw it was red, or the attendant assuring her that he knew why it was red and it was okay because of some reason, etc.  But none of that happened.  

Then there was obviously information that the ship's security had concerning the woman that you do not have, was not a problem, and didn't need to talk about.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Then there was obviously information that the ship's security had concerning the woman that you do not have, was not a problem, and didn't need to talk about.

Since no one seemed concerned, I noted it as odd, but I didn't otherwise think much about it until reading this thread because, as I said, all that the experience did was to let me know that the system isn't as secure as I had hoped it would be when I first saw it (which was just days before when I boarded the Bliss.  I haven't cruised in about five years until the Bliss cruise in September).