Americans can use the skip-the-line "electronic passport gates" upon arrival at Heathrow

Turtles06

American here.  I know this isn't new information, but since my wife and I hadn't flown into Heathrow since before the pandemic, it was a wonderful surprise to us upon arriving a few weeks ago to learn that we could use the same "electronic passport gates" previously reserved for EU passport holders, enabling us to skip the really long immigration lines.  Scan your passport, let the machine take your photo, and wait a few seconds for the system to match you up and you are good to go.  (Pretty much how Global Entry works in the U.S. for returning U.S. travelers.)   

It was terrific, and so I just wanted to flag this for others who might not be aware of this system that I think was put in place not long before the pandemic shut things down.   Thank you, U.K.!   🙂 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

American here.  I know this isn't new information, but since my wife and I hadn't flown into Heathrow since before the pandemic, it was a wonderful surprise to us upon arriving a few weeks ago to learn that we could use the same "electronic passport gates" previously reserved for EU passport holders, enabling us to skip the really long immigration lines.  Scan your passport, let the machine take your photo, and wait a few seconds for the system to match you up and you are good to go.  (Pretty much how Global Entry works in the U.S. for returning U.S. travelers.)   

It was terrific, and so I just wanted to flag this for others who might not be aware of this system that I think was put in place not long before the pandemic shut things down.   Thank you, U.K.!   🙂 

Canadians can also use the e-gates. I used it in Edinburgh in 2019. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Use the eGates for quicker entry

There are over 270 eGates in place at 15 air and rail ports in the UK to enable quicker travel into the UK.

You can normally use eGates if you:

• have a biometric symbol on the cover of your passport
  • are aged 12+ (12 to 17 year olds must be accompanied by an adult)
  • are either:
    • a British citizen
    • a national of an EU country, AustraliaCanada, Iceland, Japan, Liechtenstein, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland or the USA
    • a member of the Registered Traveller Service

Those travelling with ID cards cannot use the eGates.

Pity that it’s not reciprocated in New York ☹️

Edited by turnip eater
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I hope others from the US will read this and be aware.  Someone had posted about this in another thread not long before I flew into LHR in August and I'm so glad I caught that thread and knew just where to go.  The line kept moving and there was no waiting at all.  Very cool.

It's not just Heathrow. I think there are also e-gates at both Gatwick and London City. The latter has recently expanded its immigration area so as to install many more e-gates than there used to be. Together with a fair wind on the journey, it meant that I was unlocking my front door at about the time that my flight had been scheduled to arrive.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Globaliser said:

It's not just Heathrow. I think there are also e-gates at both Gatwick and London City.

There are gates at 13 airports in the UK now:

Birmingham, East Midlands, London City, Luton, Stansted, Heathrow, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Newcastle, Bristol, Cardiff and Gatwick Airport

And at the Eurostar terminals in Paris and Brussels for the inbound controls.

• Thanks 1

I flew into Vancouver in 2019 and there were machines that Americans could use that sound like these you described. if the ones in LHR are the same they are easy to use and save hours. I try to avoid flying directly into London. One time I was in line for 6 hours at that airport. This was before Globel Entry etc