earliest time to take muster drill on app

xray0111

We're sailing on the Odyssey soon.  Can I use the app from our hotel very near the port or do we have to wait til we get to the port or on the ship?  I know there are other threads on this but I could have missed this.  If I can do this at the hotel what would be the time frame?  Would it be available 24hrs. before the ship arrives in port?  

OK.  I NEED HELP!  We haven’t cruised since 2019….. so what is going on with the Muster Drill?

my DH and I have his sister and her husband with us- both have never cruised before.  Sister in law REFUSES to get the app on her phone 🙄. What can I do for her and the muster drill?  DH CC and I will use my app. 
THANK YOU for any help and answers! 😊

I don't get why someone would refuse to get the app, but whatever.  There are options for those very few people that include the rare person who has a non-smart phone or no cell phone.  Very rare.  LOL my parents are 85 and my mom uses her phone all the time.  My dad recently quit using his phone because he has no reason to as he's basically homebound and has his computer.   And, they have a landline.

Edited by BND

Just now, BND said:

I don't get why someone would refuse to get the app, but whatever.  There are options for those very few people that include the rare person who has a non-smart phone or no cell phone.  Very rare.  LOL my parents are 85 and my mom uses her phone all the time.  My dad recently quit because he has no reason to as he's basically homebound and has his computer.  

Oh I get what you’re saying… I can’t argue with her stubbornness 

so…. Any information on what is going on with how muster drills are now run?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gabrielle R. said:

Oh I get what you’re saying… I can’t argue with her stubbornness 

so…. Any information on what is going on with how muster drills are now run?

You either watch the video on the app or on the tv, go to the muster station and they will verify you watched and then scan your card/boarding pass.  Since she isn't using the app, they will probably show her how to put on the life jacket.  That's basically it.

• Thanks 1

Pretty sure my whole family “watched” the video in the car on the way to PC on my phone with only me logged into the app.  Son & hubby didn’t have the app & daughter was driving.  No issues.  Seems as long as one person on the reservation does it, everyone from that reservation can be included?  I know that’s how it worked for us.

• Like 1

Everyone must go to there muster station and report in before the ship sails. The app lets you view the safety instructions. Everyone  still has to check in at there  muster station, they will scan your sea pass card and that completes  the drill. 

Edited by SE fla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your welcome. It’s important you check in at the muster station. If you don’t they will start calling cabin numbers and if that doesn’t work they start call names and turning off your sea pass cards. That means no drinks at the bars or access to cabins. 

Edited by SE fla

18 minutes ago, poocher said:

Yes thanks for adding that.  We did all have to go to the muster station but did the app part together.

Yes, it's really per cabin than per person, although we usually each watch it.

1 hour ago, BND said:

We've done it from our hotel when in PC and we've done it from our home (live an hour from Baltimore).  We do it in the morning.  As long as it shows "complete" you are good.

We did the same thing -- well, we actually watched it a month or so ahead when we realized the app is now "a thing".  On our embarkation day, we woke up too early in our hotel room (as expected, we were over-excited for our first cruise in a decade), and we were able to watch the video again /make it official in the hotel room.  

Once onboard, we made the Muster Station our very first stop -- lots of people seemed to be doing the same thing.  Since it's 100% necessary, it just makes sense to get that task out of the way first.  

1 hour ago, Gabrielle R. said:

OK.  I NEED HELP!  We haven’t cruised since 2019….. so what is going on with the Muster Drill?

my DH and I have his sister and her husband with us- both have never cruised before.  Sister in law REFUSES to get the app on her phone 🙄. What can I do for her and the muster drill?  DH CC and I will use my app. 
THANK YOU for any help and answers! 😊

Okay, I'm going to be truthful, but not necessarily kind: 

- I'm sure your SIL has her reasons for not downloading the app, but this is a bad choice /will cause her inconvenience during the cruise.  She almost certainly doesn't realize she's turning her back on a valuable tool.  

- Does she know the app is free?  Does she know she can delete it after the cruise?  

- If I were you, I'd text her ONCE, giving her the facts:  The app allows you to make dinner reservations NOW, to watch the safety video NOW, to view menus NOW, show/movie times onboard, allow her to see her account anywhere.  It is more than handy.  Text her so she can read your message at her convenience /reconsider ... and so you don't have to face any complaining.  If she accepts what you say, wonderful!  If she doesn't, drop it.  

- If she persists in her refusal, remember, this is her problem -- not yours.  

- You will all report to the Muster Drill.  You and yours will be checked off immediately, while your SIL must stay and watch the video in the presence of a crew member.  Be sure you're first in line so you're not stuck while she watches.  When you're done, tell her you're headed up to the Windjammer for lunch, and you'll save her a seat.  Period.  Walk away.  Do not allow her bad choice to become your problem.  In doing this, you're setting your expectations for the rest of the cruise. 

- You are not in the same cabin, right?  So the crew won't include her as "having watched" from your app -- even if she did watch.  On the other hand, if her husband has the app, she may get by with her stubbornness. 

- You also need to complete the Health Questions in the app the day before you board.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

- You also need to complete the Health Questions in the app the day before you board.  

You no longer have to answer health questions the day before.  You just have to answer the three when you check in- 1 are you vaxxed 2- are you boosted and 3-are you more than 23 weeks pregnant.  They stopped the day before questions in the last couple of months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SE fla said:

But every buddy has to be present at the muster drill and each sea pass card is scanned into there system. 

Right.  We watched the safety video together on my husband's phone in the hotel room. 

We didn't yet have our Sea Passes when we went to the Muster Station (we were in the first group to board, and rooms weren't yet open) -- we must've given our Boarding Passes, which include a bar code.  

2 minutes ago, BND said:

You no longer have to answer health questions the day before.  You just have to answer the three when you check in- 1 are you vaxxed 2- are you boosted and 3-are you more than 23 weeks pregnant.  They stopped the day before questions in the last couple of months.

Then that's very new!  

4 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We did the same thing -- well, we actually watched it a month or so ahead when we realized the app is now "a thing".  On our embarkation day, we woke up too early in our hotel room (as expected, we were over-excited for our first cruise in a decade), and we were able to watch the video again /make it official in the hotel room.  

Once onboard, we made the Muster Station our very first stop -- lots of people seemed to be doing the same thing.  Since it's 100% necessary, it just makes sense to get that task out of the way first.  

Okay, I'm going to be truthful, but not necessarily kind: 

- I'm sure your SIL has her reasons for not downloading the app, but this is a bad choice /will cause her inconvenience during the cruise.  She almost certainly doesn't realize she's turning her back on a valuable tool.  

- Does she know the app is free?  Does she know she can delete it after the cruise?  

- If I were you, I'd text her ONCE, giving her the facts:  The app allows you to make dinner reservations NOW, to watch the safety video NOW, to view menus NOW, show/movie times onboard, allow her to see her account anywhere.  It is more than handy.  Text her so she can read your message at her convenience /reconsider ... and so you don't have to face any complaining.  If she accepts what you say, wonderful!  If she doesn't, drop it.  

- If she persists in her refusal, remember, this is her problem -- not yours.  

- You will all report to the Muster Drill.  You and yours will be checked off immediately, while your SIL must stay and watch the video in the presence of a crew member.  Be sure you're first in line so you're not stuck while she watches.  When you're done, tell her you're headed up to the Windjammer for lunch, and you'll save her a seat.  Period.  Walk away.  Do not allow her bad choice to become your problem.  In doing this, you're setting your expectations for the rest of the cruise. 

- You are not in the same cabin, right?  So the crew won't include her as "having watched" from your app -- even if she did watch.  On the other hand, if her husband has the app, she may get by with her stubbornness. 

THANKS!!!!

Wish me luck! 😁