Has Silversea lost its luster?

spinnaker2

19 minutes ago, jssabs said:

We are booked on  the Dawn this summer.  This will be our first SS cruise but we are veteran cruisers having cruised mainly on Crystal over the years.  I would appreciate whatever info you can provide as to the restaurants on Dawn as SS literature is vague and general.  Specifically, is La Terazza the main breakfast and lunch venue and is it buffet?  Is it also what would generally be considered the "main dining room" for dinner.  What can you tell us about the other restaurants and what their specialties are and for those that charge an extra fee, whether or not it's worth it..  If you have copies of any menus or anyone else who has sample menus, a post of them would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Much of that information is available on the Silversea website.  Maybe explore it!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jssabs said:

Is La Terazza the main breakfast and lunch venue and is it buffet?  Is it also what would generally be considered the "main dining room" for dinner. 

Not sure what you mean by “main”, but I sure don’t think SS considers La Terrazza the main dining venue. For example, breakfast can be taken in Atlantide (full service), Terrazza (buffet), Arts Cafe (akin to grab-n-go), or in your Suite.

34 minutes ago, jssabs said:

What can you tell us about the other restaurants and what their specialties are…

Agree with Mysty.  Familiarize yourself with SS’s website.  All of restaurant descriptions are there.

37 minutes ago, jssabs said:

For those that charge an extra fee, whether or not it's worth it.

Impossible to answer.  Many here think they are both worth the fee, many do not.  Some think La Dame is worth it, Seishen is not, and vice-versa. So, check them out yourself and report back.

39 minutes ago, jssabs said:

If you have copies of any menus or anyone else who has sample menus, a post of them would be appreciated.

This forum’s search function is your friend.  Loads of menus have been posted here in the past.  And, they are all loaded on a super popular website that serves a similar purpose to CruiseCritic, but cannot be named here that we refer to as Voldemort.  Hopefully you can figure out the cryptic reference. If not, use the search feature and read the posts and it should become clear.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Plenty of info provided @jssabs the above two posts from well-respected cruise critic members in this forum.  They and others here have way more cruising experince than my wife and I.

But, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Atlantide might be the closest to the MDR you mention.

Whatever, welcome to Silversea forum and I hope you have a wonderful first cruise (we sure did!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dogdyke1 said:

Hi there

V interested in all these posts from SS experienced cruisers - I hope the standards are not compromised as we have just booked our 1st ever cruise - and booked SS - its on the Spirit dep Mumbai March 23 to Athens ! 17 days so hoping its great !  Is it so bad or maybe adjusting post takeover and post covid ?. Really worried now

other than that, have any of you experienced guys got any tips for us - re the cruise itself or the route ? 
I see another post from a new cruiser too who had a great time - so fingers crossed.

Would anyone advise as to what extra costs  to be aware of - i believe laundry  for example …

I do not think you have any worries.   We have sailed on Spirit three times this year. We have done 60 cruises on many lines and ships and have named Spirit as our favourite.   The ship is beautiful, the service great and very good food in all the restaurants - the only one we missed was Seishin as not keen on Japanese food.

We also liked the outdoor sitting areas.   In addition to the dining area outside Terraza we also loved the outside area of the Arts Cafe and the area outside the lounge.  All lovely places for food and a drink.   We are not sitting round the pool types we go on a cruise to look at the sea but the pool area looked very nice too.

If you go on you tube and look for Visit with us videos of Silversea Silver Spirit they have given us six videos of the ship including one on food.    They are high quality videos.

We had no extra costs.  We did theincluded excursions, wifi and gratuities and all drinks included unless you go for very expensive wines.    La Dame restaurant has a cover charge.  We did go here on one cruise but had been given it by SS agent.  All our cruises were 7 or 9 days and did not use the laundry

16 hours ago, jssabs said:

We are booked on  the Dawn this summer.  This will be our first SS cruise but we are veteran cruisers having cruised mainly on Crystal over the years.  I would appreciate whatever info you can provide as to the restaurants on Dawn as SS literature is vague and general.  Specifically, is La Terazza the main breakfast and lunch venue and is it buffet?  Is it also what would generally be considered the "main dining room" for dinner.  What can you tell us about the other restaurants and what their specialties are and for those that charge an extra fee, whether or not it's worth it..  If you have copies of any menus or anyone else who has sample menus, a post of them would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

There is no an "official" main dining room, but many consider Atlantide a good "substitute". We had dinner in La Dame and it was fantastic. Other menus varied between very good and excellent. Service in La Terazza was not consistent. Overall we had a great first cruise on SS, although we are still debating if the extra cost compared to Oceania is worth it.

• Like 1