Has Silversea lost its luster?

spinnaker2

11 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

No.

Are you comparing pre-Covid Oceania, or post-Covid Oceania,  with your current post-Covid SS cruise?

(I haven't tracked where you're been post-Covid).  To be fair, the comparison should be post-Covid for both.

Also, experiences may vary depending on the ship (true for both lines), e.g., people *generally* (not all) have been happier on the newer Moon than on the older Whisper, and on Oceania people typically like the bigger newer ships better than the little old ones.

10 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

Are you comparing pre-Covid Oceania, or post-Covid Oceania,  with your current post-Covid SS cruise?

(I haven't tracked where you're been post-Covid).  To be fair, the comparison should be post-Covid for both.

Also, experiences may vary depending on the ship (true for both lines), e.g., people *generally* (not all) have been happier on the newer Moon than on the older Whisper, and on Oceania people typically like the bigger newer ships better than the little old ones.

I’m not comparing, but based on significant previous comments about SS and Oceania, especially food, SS is no longer 6* and is probably not even a 5* line.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

So why people are willing to pay 30-40% more for SS?

Good question.

Two lines I probably will not sail on again are Oceania and SS. And to be honest, SS was very similar to Oceania except we felt the food, at least at dinner, was better on SS. The only other difference is SS is a heck of a lot more expensive.

It is worrying to read people's recent experiences of post-plague SS. I think we all understand that there are some things that have changed, largely due to staffing and supply problems but I feel this is compounded by a strange new pricing policy, a heart-stoppingly high increase in per diem rates but mostly I think SS has over-reached with its fairly rapid increase in fleet size. 

Normally we have 2 or 3 future bookings but now have just the one (with SS) and only because we got an offer we couldn't refuse. We do have future bookings on another line. 

I really hope SS is just going through post-Covid teething troubles but just get the sense that corners are being cut and that the admin support is trailing behind the line's ambitions. 

Hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, AtA said:

Good question.

Two lines I probably will not sail on again are Oceania and SS. And to be honest, SS was very similar to Oceania except we felt the food, at least at dinner, was better on SS. The only other difference is SS is a heck of a lot more expensive.

Well, we sailed on Oceania twice already post Covid and both times had a great time. The only negative was lack of activities, everything else (food, service etc) was outstanding. So maybe it's matter of perspective? But if considered food on SS better than O, then I'm not worried..

• Like 2

Since the Covid cruise shut-down ended, we've taken 7 cruises with 4 different cruise lines (Seabourn, Silversea, Hebridean Princess and NCL). In every case (except NCL where maintaining a lower service level may be less difficult than maintaining a higher one), we have felt the overall experience had slipped. Am I worried? No. I am hoping the diminished experience is a temporary situation influenced by staff shortages and supply-chain issues, and in some cases, adding new capacity. But while I plan to stick with Silversea and our other favourite lines for the immediate future, I also plan to try one or more of the new luxury line entrants (Explora, new Crystal, etc.) and benchmark the experience against Silversea, etc. 

While I am not concerned about current service levels being permanent, I am concerned about the drift towards including everything in the cruise fare, including air and hotels as in Silversea's D2D. In the final analysis, that will play a bigger role in my future decision-making about which line to sail with. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Since the Covid cruise shut-down ended, we've taken 7 cruises with 4 different cruise lines (Seabourn, Silversea, Hebridean Princess and NCL). In every case (except NCL where maintaining a lower service level may be less difficult than maintaining a higher one), we have felt the overall experience had slipped. Am I worried? No. I am hoping the diminished experience is a temporary situation influenced by staff shortages and supply-chain issues, and in some cases, adding new capacity. But while I plan to stick with Silversea and our other favourite lines for the immediate future, I also plan to try one or more of the new luxury line entrants (Explora, new Crystal, etc.) and benchmark the experience against Silversea, etc. 

While I am not concerned about current service levels being permanent, I am concerned about the drift towards including everything in the cruise fare, including air and hotels as in Silversea's D2D. In the final analysis, that will play a bigger role in my future decision-making about which line to sail with. 

So for people who prefer to book their own flights/excursions/hotels, lines like Oceania/Azamara might be a better option and provide a better value for money? Especially when I hear some people say that there is not much difference between SS and O in terms of food and service.

27 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

So for people who prefer to book their own flights/excursions/hotels, lines like Oceania/Azamara might be a better option and provide a better value for money? Especially when I hear some people say that there is not much difference between SS and O in terms of food and service.

I will have to try Oceania. I don't object as much to included excursions as I do including hotels and air. That's because we want to choose our own airline and flight routes, and how long we want to stay in a city pre and post cruise. I also like to know many months in advance when we are flying, and where we are staying. From from I have read about Silversea's D2D, there have been lots of complaints about the air and hotel programs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is my 27th year of cruising with Silversea, and I definitely have noted a downturn in service since the RC takeover. Although the service in the Main dining room remains excellent, there is not the choice of food there used to be. On boarding the Cloud in Valletta last month, there were no butlers to help you stagger up to deck five. I was fortunate that a cruise consultant whom I knew well asked someone to help me. Reception can be totally useless as on the Wind in May or good as on the Cloud last month. Returning to the Wind, I was told by Reception my transfer between the Silversea hotel and Lisbon airport was not included.  Returned to my suite, checked my Silversea, and I informed Reception it was included. The Chinese receptionist told me I had to bring my iPad to reception to prove it.
I am close to 800 days so am hanging in but meanwhile, have told my TA to look for alternatives. Perhaps on the two Crystal ships now owned by the former Silversea owner. London office service has deteriorated as well.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

I will have to try Oceania. I don't object as much to included excursions as I do including hotels and air. That's because we want to choose our own airline and flight routes, and how long we want to stay in a city pre and post cruise. I also like to know many months in advance when we are flying, and where we are staying. From from I have read about Silversea's D2D, there have been lots of complaints about the air and hotel programs.

Appreciate the continued great range of various pro and con comments and follow-up on these important issues, questions and options to consider for the future.  

For us, it has been first and foremost about the itineraries.  Where and how to go that is exciting, interesting, unique and challenging.  We have done two different Oceania cruises.  Worked well.  Below is a link with many details visuals, etc., from a long, 18-day Athens to Dubai adventure.  Also in early 2020, right before the Covid shut-down, we used Oceania for a long Auckland to French Polynesia sailing.  Both Oceania sailings worked very well.  Oceania's basic room on their older ships can be a little small, but overall their ships and service was very good.  Oceania's ship are generally larger than what Silversea has.  Maybe a factor, pro or con.  Maybe not.  

Oceania food is also very good and a point of pride for that cruise lines.  Based on our prior to Covid experiences with Silversea, I would rate Silversea's food/dining as a little better.  Now?  Cannot judge.  Oceania does offer some very good, longer itineraries and they are well work considering for the future.   

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 21,308 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

1 hour ago, wren2 said:

This is my 27th year of cruising with Silversea, and I definitely have noted a downturn in service since the RC takeover. Although the service in the Main dining room remains excellent, there is not the choice of food there used to be. On boarding the Cloud in Valletta last month, there were no butlers to help you stagger up to deck five. I was fortunate that a cruise consultant whom I knew well asked someone to help me. Reception can be totally useless as on the Wind in May or good as on the Cloud last month. Returning to the Wind, I was told by Reception my transfer between the Silversea hotel and Lisbon airport was not included.  Returned to my suite, checked my Silversea, and I informed Reception it was included. The Chinese receptionist told me I had to bring my iPad to reception to prove it.
I am close to 800 days so am hanging in but meanwhile, have told my TA to look for alternatives. Perhaps on the two Crystal ships now owned by the former Silversea owner. London office service has deteriorated as well.

I would echo what you said and add that the removal of the London office cruise consultants to offer incentives such as OBC is yet another backward step. I am struggling to understand what these people do anymore except buffer between an awful air department and the guests. They certainly don’t answer emails promptly anymore.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

the removal of the London office cruise consultants to offer incentives such as OBC is yet another backward step. 

This is the case in the US as well.  The cruise consultants refuse to offer any OBCs, etc.  So people are being encouraged to book through TAs who offer discounts, OBCs, etc.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Actually I'd rate O below SS. We found staff to be friendly but perfunctory. 

Food was not as good as it was on SS.

And the lack of daytime activities on sea days or unexpected sea days was a big turn off on both O and SS. 

Right now I'd choose Seabourn over either SS or O but I am anxiously awaiting the return of Crystal and am also booked on Explora Journeys next fall. 

And like others have mentioned, I do not want D2D included or excursions.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AtA said:

Actually I'd rate O below SS. We found staff to be friendly but perfunctory. 

Food was not as good as it was on SS.

And the lack of daytime activities on sea days or unexpected sea days was a big turn off on both O and SS. 

Right now I'd choose Seabourn over either SS or O but I am anxiously awaiting the return of Crystal and am also booked on Explora Journeys next fall. 

And like others have mentioned, I do not want D2D included or excursions.

I Spoke recently with a former employee of both O and C. He told me in no uncertain terms that the crew of O are treated utterly miserably and from what he told me I’d never sail on that line. 

52 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I Spoke recently with a former employee of both O and C. He told me in no uncertain terms that the crew of O are treated utterly miserably and from what he told me I’d never sail on that line. 

They always looked pretty happy to me.

But according to this logic, you should never buy any of Apple products after reading all the stories about abuses in their factories in China..

33 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

They always looked pretty happy to me.

But according to this logic, you should never buy any of Apple products after reading all the stories about abuses in their factories in China..

No I will never buy another Apple product due to the erroneously named Apple support. No support whatsoever.

15 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

I would echo what you said and add that the removal of the London office cruise consultants to offer incentives such as OBC is yet another backward step. I am struggling to understand what these people do anymore except buffer between an awful air department and the guests. They certainly don’t answer emails promptly anymore.

Very well said! I do agree.

22 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Well, we sailed on Oceania twice already post Covid and both times had a great time. The only negative was lack of activities, everything else (food, service etc) was outstanding. So maybe it's matter of perspective? But if considered food on SS better than O, then I'm not worried

I aml looking elsewhere from SS and Oceania is on my shortlist, being that entertainment is lo2 on my list of priorities then O may be up my street. They seem competitive enough pricewise and are not including lots of 'free' / unwanted bits.

• Like 1

As someone who likes the Moon, Muse and Dawn ships of Silversea very much (the others not so much- and yes I have sailed on Cloud and Whisper), I find it infuriating to see so much bad publicity about the line of late. Why? From what I am hearing, the wounds to the lustre are pretty much self-inflicted by corporate types who don’t know what loyal and new passengers want and/or these corporate types don’t know how to administer what they have rolled out. I mean, really, we can all be flexible and understanding about training and other staff issues these days but the reportedly inflexible, expensive and thereby awful Door To Door concept backed up by a non-communicative, obtuse and incompetent air ticketing group is easy enough to discuss. So we should do so.

Taking it to to the next level, that of doing something about it, I understand that Barbara Muckermann, Chief Commercial Officer, is well enough connected that her friends on the Silversea  Facebook page go to her for all sorts of favors involving their cruise booking and enjoyment problems. I don’t use Facebook and so don’t have access to her, but if she is the touchstone, well, so be it.

Would someone/anyone please take up the torch with her before more reputational damage leading to people cancelling future bookings gets outta hand. This is all commercial and that’s her job, right?

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, markham said:

As someone who likes the Moon, Muse and Dawn ships of Silversea very much (the others not so much- and yes I have sailed on Cloud and Whisper), I find it infuriating to see so much bad publicity about the line of late. Why? From what I am hearing, the wounds to the lustre are pretty much self-inflicted by corporate types who don’t know what loyal and new passengers want and/or these corporate types don’t know how to administer what they have rolled out. I mean, really, we can all be flexible and understanding about training and other staff issues these days but the reportedly inflexible, expensive and thereby awful Door To Door concept backed up by a non-communicative, obtuse and incompetent air ticketing group is easy enough to discuss. So we should do so.

Taking it to to the next level, that of doing something about it, I understand that Barbara Muckermann, Chief Commercial Officer, is well enough connected that her friends on the Silversea  Facebook page go to her for all sorts of favors involving their cruise booking and enjoyment problems. I don’t use Facebook and so don’t have access to her, but if she is the touchstone, well, so be it.

Would someone/anyone please take up the torch with her before more reputational damage leading to people cancelling future bookings gets outta hand. This is all commercial and that’s her job, right?

Happy and healthy sailing!

We have tried but she only listens to multi WCers and guests with at least 1000 days.

• Like 5