Has Silversea lost its luster?

spinnaker2

2 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Had a complete disaster in Salt Kitchen tonight, slow service on arrival, starters lukewarm, mains arrive, mine already cooling, my wife's tough, not cooked well. Both sent back at about 9:50. Waited for no replacement to arrive for 10 mins and then left. No management response. Do I want a pizza, no!

What did you order?  I was looking forward to Salt and hope this is a one off occurrence.  

• Like 1

I agree, Silver Note has never been disappointing musicwise, yes it is a nightclub concept and I, like many regulars, do like to end up there most evenings. However, it can be equally „obnoxious“ having to listen to very loud inane chatter of some (just one or two) people with no consideration for other guests who might actually like to enjoy the music.

• Like 2

Only had one sailing since Covid with SS and that certainly wasn't the experience we were expecting.

Embarkation and land based reps were poor IMHO. SS are responsible for them, but once on board the unknowns of if we would be sailing or not and the amount of time it took was soon put to one side. 

We didn't have any real issues with food and drink, but a few things did run out, which was disappointing particularly as we sailed with only 220 on the first leg and then 120. As we know though, supplies are becoming more and more problematic. For those who like caviar, lets hope the source isn't Russia as I suspect that might be an issue. (Not for me luckily.)

On board at the time (Jan 2022) most obeyed the mask rule indoors, but not all. The issues we weren't happy with were the excursions. One in particular was a snorkel from Cozumel which masks, social distancing from all went out the window and the equipment given (to put in mouth) I suspect wasn't sterile and I doubt when the trip was aborted due to weather, I doubt anything was done with it when handed back.)

Staff were generally good as usual but there was a little bit of training needed and no reason to get upset over really.

The experience when my wife was quarantined was poor at the beginning. Not just the way it was handled (we tested ourselves) but the lack of response from the HD when reported that the food and hot drinks served were cold. We were told "It's protocol". I didn't buy into it then and its amazing how simple it was to fix once the CD (Vicki was also in quarantine from day 2) was freed and sorted at the next meal.

It did make the cruise a different experience because of his and the concerns going forward. SS decided mid cruise to cancel the mid cruise testing (again RCI) which we weren't impressed with. Very fortunately the end cruise only captured 2 more couples for the Brig. Because of what had happened, I certainly was expecting a fair few, so luckily it worked ok - but more luck than judgement.

From the moment my wife got released (we missed our embarkation port - and the extra 14 days quarantine they wanted in Ecuador) we were accommodated by SS to the next port we were capable of flying home from (Santiago.) 

The final 4 days of the extended cruise I have to say we were treated like royalty. Several special meals, (Champagne breakfast for us and the other couple in quarantine, and evening meal of Beef Wellington and the food in La Dame probably the best meal we've had at sea. I expect that was made easier being the only guests in La Dame with the 2 couples who joined us.)

So we had lots of ups and downs of an eventful cruise (which included all stop after the props took a bashing and now concerned it the Moon was going to be hauled in for repair. Quite scary at the time - the whole ship shook - and we were in La Terraza - directly above the props - which we later found out was a Whale when it was removed in Arica.)

The cruise certainly made us appreciate the issues not with covid, but the effects if you catch it and all from a non medical experience. 

We left knowing that Covid was going to be causing all cruise lines issues and we genuinely felt all things being considered that we were looked after mostly well and at the end extraordinarily well. SS also sorted our rearranged transferred and flights.

Being from the UK, I definitely cant be described as a good tipper, but on this occasion I'd say I was, so it sums up the downs were outweighed by the ups. SS was still all good. Yes somethings had maybe slipped but its the sign of the times. I cannot fault the last 4 days on board and that doesn't happen often.

Would we book again? Yes, we booked a future sailing on board (which got finalised a few days after getting home as there was an error on what had been done.) Three still in the pipeline. 

Will we continue to book? There are certainly things like the free laundry that I dont want to miss out on - but there are negatives which I'm not happy with.

10 and 20% early booking bonus gone. Cruise only gone (unless you want to gamble you are definitely able to sail and happy not to receive VS days. Port to port is not what we want. There is a limit on what is included (and paid for in the price - its not free!) Yes, they can be in part removed, but not to the real value of the increase - so still a premium being paid. Transfers to and from home and  excursions in particular are just not wanted. Luckily we enjoy the bar or it would be soul destroying all the things we've paid for but don't want.

Obviously we are all free to make choices and our personal views are all valid. I suspect after the three bookings are done, t could be my last, unless there is a change of heart (either side) or a bargain pops up. So its not the level of service that's caused my stance, but the pricing structure. I've had 7 cruises since lockdowns (with another in a weeks time) and only 1 on Silversea. That certainly didnt happen pre covid.

Edited by les37b
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2022 at 5:02 PM, etual324 said:

We boarded the Moon in LHR check in was a nightmare took us forever there about 150 passengers

sitting with us hardly NO snacks or coffee suplied

When we boarded no SS rep to help with hand luggage   or a welcome glass of champange  we to our room vand the hallway looked like an airport luggage claim

The HD said how are things going I said you get one chance for a first impression and it is gone

I think we're more interested in how the waffles were! 😅

• Haha 1

We fly to Venice Sunday and join Silver Spirit on Tuesday - at present it looks to be without a ticket which TA has suggested we might have to do.   Not happy. I like everything cut and dried and can do without trouble at embarkation.   

Do hope this inefficiency is not he hallmark of our cruise

32 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

🤣 Hi les, I have emailed you twice in the last week

Apologies. Change of phone. Still using both, but was in Venice last week so just hadn't looked. I need to properly migrate and get the job done! 

OK..... No replacement allocation yet and yes to the named TA, who I get 10% off through, but they've not exactly impressed on my next booking with them. Similar issue - change of consultant - but its also SS Air who are the antagonists by their "2 week email turnaround" which they seem to be sticking to. Our mutual friend did say he could push things if it was getting too bad.

If you did want to use anyway, I will forward you the name to ask for even though she's left - and you should still get that discount, which is not to be sneezed at!

Just a brief comment that I have learned much through reading all of the commentary/posts! 

Maybe Silversea could use a bit of polish to restore its brilliant shine. Or, as some feel, there is no tarnish whatsoever.

We will be aboard in a month or so and weigh in.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Just a brief comment that I have learned much through reading all of the commentary/posts! 

Maybe Silversea could use a bit of polish to restore its brilliant shine. Or, as some feel, there is no tarnish whatsoever.

We will be aboard in a month or so and weigh in.

I guarantee it'll be better than your last departure! 🛳️

Look forward to finding out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, les37b said:

Apologies. Change of phone. Still using both, but was in Venice last week so just hadn't looked. I need to properly migrate and get the job done! 

OK..... No replacement allocation yet and yes to the named TA, who I get 10% off through, but they've not exactly impressed on my next booking with them. Similar issue - change of consultant - but its also SS Air who are the antagonists by their "2 week email turnaround" which they seem to be sticking to. Our mutual friend did say he could push things if it was getting too bad.

If you did want to use anyway, I will forward you the name to ask for even though she's left - and you should still get that discount, which is not to be sneezed at!

Yes please.

• Like 1

Very helpful topic.

We will be taking our first SS cruise in December, and I really would like to know what to expect. We took 2 cruises on Oceania post Covid, and I didn't notice any difference in quality compared to pre Covid.

Those who sailed on Oceania/Azamara and SS, how do they compare? Should we expect a better experience on SS compared to Oceania? 

On 10/26/2022 at 10:36 PM, ak1004 said:

Very helpful topic.

We will be taking our first SS cruise in December, and I really would like to know what to expect. We took 2 cruises on Oceania post Covid, and I didn't notice any difference in quality compared to pre Covid.

Those who sailed on Oceania/Azamara and SS, how do they compare? Should we expect a better experience on SS compared to Oceania? 

No.