Has Silversea lost its luster?

spinnaker2

1 hour ago, crusinbanjo said:

Sadly, I agree with the sentiment of this post.  Mrs Banjo and I started sailing on SS in 1996 and, my, has the boarding process deteriorated from far exceeding expectations, to just another cruise line.

FWIW the boarding process on my recent Moon cruise was stellar, except for the elimination of the welcome champagne.  The process was super efficient.

The boarding process out of Malta on the Cloud last month was also quick and efficient.  The welcome desk agent at the hotel had even given us some of the paperwork to complete before getting on the bus to the port - if you had completed that, it was even quicker.  The only time-consuming part was collecting your luggage at the hotel to get on the bus to the port.

12 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Wow, don't want to believe.  Looking forward to our next SS cruise in a few months, just can't imagine the crew has changed so much from our past experiences

I am sailing Whisper now and in my view the staff and crew have all been friendly and engaging😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IMHO money is the driving force behind what's currently going on. Every crew member onboard is paid from fares not tips like on mainstream lines, thus keeping staffing as low as possible helps the bottom line. When staff are overworked it shows, and they are less friendly. Pre-covid vs post covid on SS for us was a noticeable difference. Newbies have nothing to compare it to...

Biggest problem I think they need to figure out is D2D or P2P. SS should drop included flights and transfers. Give us an online flight booking tool like Celebrity using RCL's low contracted rates they get from airlines.

Food. The menus are old and tired and need modernization. Food quality is lower grade. Bar choices too limited. I can go on RCL's Celebrity and get 10+ bourbon choices, 20+ types of beer. Supply chain isn't issues, it's simply management ignoring trends like not offering IPA beers, more than one type of liquor per category...

1. Go back to selling cruises and not all inclusive travel

2. Treat staff better (pay and benefits). Happy staff, happy pax

3. Revamps menus and modernize. Food has no wow factors anymore. Eden on Celebrity is a good example of wow factor .

4. Add SALT to entire fleet or SALT featured dishes to ships that don't have space to convert

5. Revamped entertainment was mentioned before covid started. Stale and still nothing changed.

It feels like RCL is stumbling on what direction to take SS. Nobody is driving the ship, it's on autopilot. Problems are fixable now, before you start to loose loyalist and experienced cruisers alike. Only time will tell which direction SS is dragged by RCL management.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Accessor said:

IMHO money is the driving force behind what's currently going on. Every crew member onboard is paid from fares not tips like on mainstream lines, thus keeping staffing as low as possible helps the bottom line. 

I have been in touch with an excellent crew member who quit SS and took a position with Cunard.  S/he says the pay including tips is double on Cunard from what they were receiving on SS.

Biggest problem I think they need to figure out is D2D or P2P. SS should drop included flights and transfers. 

Agreed. I would add that they should drop included excursions as well.

Food. The menus are old and tired and need modernization. Food quality is lower grade. 

Sadly agree. 

• Like 3

On 10/22/2022 at 12:02 PM, etual324 said:

We boarded the Moon in LHR check in was a nightmare took us forever there about 150 passengers

sitting with us hardly NO snacks or coffee suplied

When we boarded no SS rep to help with hand luggage   or a welcome glass of champange  we to our room vand the hallway looked like an airport luggage claim

The HD said how are things going I said you get one chance for a first impression and it is gone

Are you on board now?

On 10/23/2022 at 12:59 PM, Observer said:

Sadly agree. 

Observer, you are a well-respected poster here, you gave me great tips as I took my first Silversea cruise a few years back, so your two-word post has an outsized effect on me, & probably others.  Any expansion on your post would be appreciated...

3 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Observer, you are a well-respected poster here, you gave me great tips as I took my first Silversea cruise a few years back, so your two-word post has an outsized effect on me, & probably others.  Any expansion on your post would be appreciated...

Thank you for your generous comment.

I enjoy dining in Hot Rocks, where one can see the protein offering up close and personal.  I often order the ribeye steak, and they have shrunk in thickness and marbeling from what I have been accustomed to on SS and in good restaurants.  During a recent cruise a guest at a nearby table (who clearly had enjoyed several drinks!) threw a loud fit about the ribeye she was offered.  I do not approve of the outburst, but I sympathize with her sentiments.

The lack of variety in menus is especially clear when taking a couple of back to back cruises (say a seven followed by a ten night cruise).  On the second cruise, one would not be surprised to see in La Terrazza or Atlantide or Indochine the very same menu one saw a week ago.

I have also found special orders frustrating.  Let's say I ask for Dover Sole for tomorrow's dinner, and I say I will arrive at 7:30 pm.   It may be 8:30 before the fish is served, and the apologetic waiter explains that it is because it was a special order.  In years past, I did not encounter this issue.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

I Know what my two words would be. 

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, Observer said:

The lack of variety in menus is especially clear when taking a couple of back to back cruises (say a seven followed by a ten night cruise).  On the second cruise, one would not be surprised to see in La Terrazza or Atlantide or Indochine the very same menu one saw a week ago.   I have also found special orders frustrating.  Let's say I ask for Dover Sole for tomorrow's dinner, and I say I will arrive at 7:30 pm.   It may be 8:30 before the fish is served, and the apologetic waiter explains that it is because it was a special order.  In years past, I did not encounter this issue.

Appreciate these specific details and follow-up from Observer.  Dining quality has always been a very positive highlight with Silversea.  Now, that seems in question??  We have had in the past very excellent experiences with the special order options.  

Overall this thread started by Spins has been very, very good with a nice range of different options, comments and experiences.  Wonderful sharing, tone and details.  Keep it up!!! 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 245,178 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Like 2

I am on the Whisper and have found my meals all quite good. First 2 nights I had fish and last night I had lamb chops. (Had dinner in Terrazza). Cooked to my request and very tender. I had breakfast in the main restaurant this morning. My Eggs Benedict were cooked to perfection and the sauce was very yummy. I always specify that I want my English muffin double toasted and they came exactly as I wanted too. 

So for me, and maybe I am just in the minority, on this cruise, at least for these for these first few days, no luster has been lost. I am finding a very friendly staff and crew, all very much engaging.

Oh had my first bag of free laundry today too😀😊😃. This sailing puts me over 100 days.

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Congrats, Lois!  You’ve had one helluva post-Covid travel period.  Looking forward to what is next for you!

Thank you😀I am on the Dawn in January to the Carribean.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2022 at 10:08 AM, Accessor said:

IMHO money is the driving force behind what's currently going on. Every crew member onboard is paid from fares not tips like on mainstream lines, thus keeping staffing as low as possible helps the bottom line. When staff are overworked it shows, and they are less friendly. Pre-covid vs post covid on SS for us was a noticeable difference. Newbies have nothing to compare it to...

Biggest problem I think they need to figure out is D2D or P2P. SS should drop included flights and transfers. Give us an online flight booking tool like Celebrity using RCL's low contracted rates they get from airlines.

Food. The menus are old and tired and need modernization. Food quality is lower grade. Bar choices too limited. I can go on RCL's Celebrity and get 10+ bourbon choices, 20+ types of beer. Supply chain isn't issues, it's simply management ignoring trends like not offering IPA beers, more than one type of liquor per category...

1. Go back to selling cruises and not all inclusive travel

2. Treat staff better (pay and benefits). Happy staff, happy pax

3. Revamps menus and modernize. Food has no wow factors anymore. Eden on Celebrity is a good example of wow factor .

4. Add SALT to entire fleet or SALT featured dishes to ships that don't have space to convert

5. Revamped entertainment was mentioned before covid started. Stale and still nothing changed.

It feels like RCL is stumbling on what direction to take SS. Nobody is driving the ship, it's on autopilot. Problems are fixable now, before you start to loose loyalist and experienced cruisers alike. Only time will tell which direction SS is dragged by RCL management.

As the person who created the all vocal program for Silversea, you are right regarding it being stale, and that is not a reflection on the current production team, but on my concept itself.  When I removed the dancers, and cheesy sets, and went in a classical music direction, I did so with the SS demographic in mind ... guests who have seen the best entertainment all over the world.  The idea of hiring seasoned entertainers who had their own shows is what The Artists of Silversea was about, coupled with an average age of 32 so that they had life experience and were able to converse intelligently with the guests.  

I created the program in 2010, more than a decade ago, so its shelf life is certainly past its expiration date, as entertainment trends are cyclical.  They used to change every 10 years or so, but with ever changing and expanding technology, entertainment must now change every 3 to 5 years in order to keep its audience.  I stopped creating and producing shows in 2015 noting then the need to refresh formats quickly.  My friend Brian Burke, who is the Creative Director for AGT and American Idol, surrounds himself with young creatives because of how quickly entertainment trends change today.  Even Franco Dragone, may he Rest In Peace, started repeating himself.  It's tough staying current.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This is such an interesting thread; thanks, all for the insights.

My Silversea experience is limited to 4 expedition cruises, the latest in June on the maiden voyage of the Wind as an expedition ship. It convinced me that Silversea's luster was intact despite the pandemic and the inevitable hiccups on a first voyage of a ship that has all new crew, facilities, etc. What keeps me bonded to Silversea are the interesting and lively fellow passengers; the friendly, cheerful crew; the itinerary and enrichment activities; and the food and beverage quality. All those boxes were checked on that last cruise.

In a way, my experience keeps getting better. I think I'm learning what standard is reasonable to expect, and how to politely asking for it if service misses the mark. As a retired teacher and parent of two millennials, I don't shy away from teaching opportunities 🙂 After about 3 days, I had the staff in La Terrazza trained to make the perfect Avocado Toast/Eggs Benedict for my daily breakfast. Perhaps they are now convinced of American eccentricity, but they seemed happy to oblige and go the extra mile, which is something I didn't really understand on my first couple of cruises. The executive chef in particular was incredibly solicitous, always ready with suggestions and happy to discuss the menu with an indecisive diner like me. I was completely happy with the food and beverage experience.

Happily, my fellow travelers did not disappoint (except that one guy who threw a fit when told he had to wear a mask on the bus). But I wonder if this might be the nature of expedition travel: maybe it attracts people whom I find compatible. And the smaller passenger load is perhaps one of the biggest factors in making a convivial and happy atmosphere.

Maybe I should reconsider going on a classic cruise, given the negative experiences I've read about here. But I remain a fan of the Silversea expedition experience.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Older Party said:

As the person who created the all vocal program for Silversea, you are right regarding it being stale, and that is not a reflection on the current production team, but on my concept itself.  When I removed the dancers, and cheesy sets, and went in a classical music direction, I did so with the SS demographic in mind ... guests who have seen the best entertainment all over the world.  The idea of hiring seasoned entertainers who had their own shows is what The Artists of Silversea was about, coupled with an average age of 32 so that they had life experience and were able to converse intelligently with the guests.  

I created the program in 2010, more than a decade ago, so its shelf life is certainly past its expiration date, as entertainment trends are cyclical.  They used to change every 10 years or so, but with ever changing and expanding technology, entertainment must now change every 3 to 5 years in order to keep its audience.  I stopped creating and producing shows in 2015 noting then the need to refresh formats quickly.  My friend Brian Burke, who is the Creative Director for AGT and American Idol, surrounds himself with young creatives because of how quickly entertainment trends change today.  Even Franco Dragone, may he Rest In Peace, started repeating himself.  It's tough staying current.  

I must tell you that my Husband and I absolutely loved all the classical entertainment we have seen on our SS cruises. From  classical guitar soloists and couples to a flamenco dancer and classical violinist show, outstanding.

We don't need current, we need good.

Most of the  entertainers we have seen, are at the top of their professions. Not a show but our favorite spot is the Silver Note. As one who worked in a jazz club in my youth, I love the music and atmosphere. 

If Silversea is wanting to be like all the rest, God Bless them. We won't.

I never thought I would ever look elsewhere. We shall see after our next cruise in two weeks.

I am hoping all is as it was and should be.

Elaine

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Post Covid?

Yes, when SS re-started in June 2021 I restarted with them. I am on my 7TH cruise since that time. 4 in 2021 and 3 this year. 

• Like 5

Had a complete disaster in Salt Kitchen tonight, slow service on arrival, starters lukewarm, mains arrive, mine already cooling, my wife's tough, not cooked well. Both sent back at about 9:50. Waited for no replacement to arrive for 10 mins and then left. No management response. Do I want a pizza, no!

43 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Had a complete disaster in Salt Kitchen tonight, slow service on arrival, starters lukewarm, mains arrive, mine already cooling, my wife's tough, not cooked well. Both sent back at about 9:50. Waited for no replacement to arrive for 10 mins and then left. No management response. Do I want a pizza, no!

Sat in the warmer all night from 6pm till you ordered it....most of this stuff is not cooked to order, sadly done banquet style...We had 3 attempts of MR prime rib;  all came out MW. Ended up walking out also. Got a Pizza...what a joke.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boccenana said:

Not a show but our favorite spot is the Silver Note.  Elaine

I don't think you're alone about Silver Note.   I remember one evening a regular guest  sssuuhhing the tables around him.   Hey, Mr Obnoxious, it's a night club......not a concert hall.   Have never been disappointed by whatever duo is working the room. 

• Like 1