Prima - Shows, Times, Frequency

Greenpea2

Hoping a recent Prima cruiser (well, I guess they ALL would be recent...) can give me an idea on what Shows are available. I'm also interested in what the show times are as I am soon going to be booking restaurants. Also, how often are the "big" shows? How many nights per cruise, two? And 2 (early and late) on those days? Haven't cruised since before the Covid mess so I figured I should get some updated info, as well as specific to the Prima.  Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Greenpea2 said:

Hoping a recent Prima cruiser (well, I guess they ALL would be recent...) can give me an idea on what Shows are available. I'm also interested in what the show times are as I am soon going to be booking restaurants. Also, how often are the "big" shows? How many nights per cruise, two? And 2 (early and late) on those days? Haven't cruised since before the Covid mess so I figured I should get some updated info, as well as specific to the Prima.  Many thanks!

So,,, the ship has really not run a regular 7-day cruise since she was launched in August. So, there is no "regular" entertainment schedule. And, the cruise line has been finalizing entertainment schedules a few days before departure due to COVID and other constraints. 

The following link is to a live post from the Prima a week ago. 

This is the entertainment schedule from that cruise. On our cruise, prizes at the Price is Right included the opportunity to win new corvette.  

image.thumb.png.f53c30f7ffc3577f163b9912cad89fc4.png

24 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, the ship has really not run a regular 7-day cruise since she was launched in August. So, there is no "regular" entertainment schedule. And, the cruise line has been finalizing entertainment schedules a few days before departure due to COVID and other constraints. 

This is the entertainment schedule from that cruise. On our cruise, prizes at the Price is Right included the opportunity to win new corvette.  

This is great! Thanks so much. OI also (after I posted) noticed on the website they have info for reserving stuff. Had not had a chance to go through it. We are mostly interested in the "Big Shows"..As of now it is still Donna Summer for one of them.

5 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

This is great! Thanks so much. OI also (after I posted) noticed on the website they have info for reserving stuff. Had not had a chance to go through it. We are mostly interested in the "Big Shows"..As of now it is still Donna Summer for one of them.

Donna Summer and the NoiseBoys were the two "big" shows. Price is Right is another "big show" with people chosen at random from the audience for a chance to win prizes. One person got some Tumi luggage and one person got 650 cash and one person won a big flat screen TV. 

27 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Donna Summer and the NoiseBoys were the two "big" shows. Price is Right is another "big show" with people chosen at random from the audience for a chance to win prizes. One person got some Tumi luggage and one person got 650 cash and one person won a big flat screen TV. 

Nice!

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

I notice that one of the Donna Summer shows was at 6:30. Which makes me ask How early do the restaurants open for dinner? We probably won't want to eat as late as 8:30 (old farts) but the early show sounds good. Can you eat before 5 to make a 6:30 show? 

1 hour ago, Greenpea2 said:

I notice that one of the Donna Summer shows was at 6:30. Which makes me ask How early do the restaurants open for dinner? We probably won't want to eat as late as 8:30 (old farts) but the early show sounds good. Can you eat before 5 to make a 6:30 show? 

For best seating, you should be at your show venue 30 minutes before show time. 

image.png.6ad35bf895673510fb41ee7ea8426c38.png

Edited by BirdTravels

8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

For best seating, you should be at your show venue 30 minutes before show time. 

image.png.6ad35bf895673510fb41ee7ea8426c38.png

Hmmm. I guess it's the late show then! The Haven restaurant is likely the same. We will; be wild & crazy one night!

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

What shows are there other than Donna Summers? (We are not disco fans.)

Also is there availability to dance onboard? Also are there dance lessons?

The other big show is Noise Boys.  There will be game shows as well.  Price is Right has already debuted.  Others will include Supermarket Sweep, Press Your Luck and Beat the Clock.  After the late showing of Donna Summer the theater pushes back the seats like a high school gym and the area transforms into Studio 54.  There are comedy shows to reserve at the Improv as well as a single comedy show in the theater.  Syd Norman's Pour House is first come first seated for live music.

Regarding the Donna Summer show, I believe there are 3 different performers reenacting her career at 3 different stages, so it would not just be her "disco phase".

Edited by CruizinSusan70
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

The other big show is Noise Boys.  There will be game shows as well.  Price is Right has already debuted.  Others will include Supermarket Sweep, Press Your Luck and Beat the Clock.  After the late showing of Donna Summer the theater pushes back the seats like a high school gym and the area transforms into Studio 54.  There are comedy shows to reserve at the Improv as well as a single comedy show in the theater.  Syd Norman's Pour House is first come first seated for live music.

Regarding the Donna Summer show, I believe there are 3 different performers reenacting her career at 3 different stages, so it would not just be her "disco phase".

Thanks for the information.

It really does not compare to our last NCL cruise which had both the Blue Man Group and dinner theater with Cirq d' Soleil. JMHO.

3 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

The dinner theater did cost extra.  And which ship was it and when?

Yes, the dinner cost extra and had almost no choices unlike the normal dinner experience.

It was the summer of 2012 on the Epic.

12 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Yes. It is a musical biography of her life with young Donna (11 years old), midlife Donna, and old Donna. Yeah,,, it has some disco undertones. But is not Saturday Night Live. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ontheweb said:

It really does not compare to our last NCL cruise which had both the Blue Man Group and dinner theater with Cirq d' Soleil. JMHO.

Yeah,,, we liked the Blue Man Group, but they were replaced in 2015 during the ship's 5-year dry dock with Pricilla The Queen of the Desert. The two main shows are Pricilla and Burn the Floor (which continues on it's third contract). 

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, the dinner cost extra and had almost no choices unlike the normal dinner experience.

It was the summer of 2012 on the Epic.

Things obviously have changed in 10 years.  It would be shortsighted to assume that things would be the same since your last NCL cruise that was 10+ years ago.  If you make your decision as to which ship to sail on based upon the shows they have there are numerous other choices in the fleet to choose from instead of the newest state of the art ship.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Things obviously have changed in 10 years.  It would be shortsighted to assume that things would be the same since your last NCL cruise that was 10+ years ago.  If you make your decision as to which ship to sail on based upon the shows they have there are numerous other choices in the fleet to choose from instead of the newest state of the art ship.  

We have been on 5 different cruise lines, and the one thing I can say about our 2 NCL cruises was that they had the best entertainment. That is why I asked about the shows.

And we chose the Prima cruise for the itinerary, London (Southampton) to Reykjavik with stops in Amsterdam, Belgium, 3 in Norway, and 3 in Iceland including an overnight in Reykjavik before disembarking.

• 2 months later...
On 10/25/2022 at 8:41 AM, ontheweb said:

We have been on 5 different cruise lines, and the one thing I can say about our 2 NCL cruises was that they had the best entertainment. That is why I asked about the shows.

And we chose the Prima cruise for the itinerary, London (Southampton) to Reykjavik with stops in Amsterdam, Belgium, 3 in Norway, and 3 in Iceland including an overnight in Reykjavik before disembarking.

We've booked the same itinerary, Southampton to Reykjavik, on the Prima for this June for the very same reasons: itinerary and previous NCL great entertainment.  But I'm worried after reading reviews that the theater is so small getting your choice of show and time is difficult, the food choices repetitive at the main dining rooms, and scheduling specialty dinner around shows could be problematic.  Maybe everything will be fixed by this summer, but if not it'll be back to Celebrity Cruises for us ... they don't charge for things like darts!!

1 minute ago, LVHOKIE said:

We've booked the same itinerary, Southampton to Reykjavik, on the Prima for this June for the very same reasons: itinerary and previous NCL great entertainment.  But I'm worried after reading reviews that the theater is so small getting your choice of show and time is difficult, the food choices repetitive at the main dining rooms, and scheduling specialty dinner around shows could be problematic.  Maybe everything will be fixed by this summer, but if not it'll be back to Celebrity Cruises for us ... they don't charge for things like darts!!

Does fixed mean changed to your satisfaction or something else? I  doubt that NCL thinks anything is broken so there is nothing to fix.