First time in Spain & first time long haul flight questions

cruisinqt

4 hours ago, Korimako said:

Just a small caveat. We are frequent longhaul international fliers ( New Zealand to Europe)  and would never choose a bulkhead seat (my husband is also 6ft plus),  not in premium economy (or whatever it's called) nor business class. On many airlines the bulkhead seats are designated as bassinets. Long haul with a screaming baby next to us, or across the aisle is not my idea of fun!!
Check on Seatguru with whichever airline you decide to go with, for advice on choosing a seat.

Happy travels!!

Oh wow I would never have known that if you hadn’t said anything. Thanks I’ll definitely be checking seatguru before I purchase our flight. 

25 minutes ago, Rysyonok said:

If you're flying the same airline all along, yes.

Watch out for "hacker fares", plain speak for several separate legs booked "together". You're on your own there with lugging the bags to the next plain. Oh, and going through security and customs.

So if I use Expedia or Kayak or something similar I’ll be lugging bags around. But if I go directly to the website like Air Canada for instance, whatever I book through them even if it’s connecting, the bags will be moved to the connecting flight for us, correct? That’s fine with me because I usually use Kayak to see who has the best fares then I go directly to that carriers website and play around till I find the perfect flight. 

3 hours ago, Korimako said:

And another thing. There are non-US based airlines who fly transatlantic. One of our return flights from Europe via the US was Aer Lingus Dublin to Boston.

Also Air France, British Airways, TAP, Lufthansa to name a few.

Yeah I’m seeing a lot of airlines I’ve never heard of like Iberia and Finnair. That’s why I’m by a bit concerned about booking our airfare. Transatlantic flights are a lot more complicated and use airlines we’ve never heard of or flown on. I’m trying to make sure I get everything right. 

12 minutes ago, cruisinqt said:

So if I use Expedia or Kayak or something similar I’ll be lugging bags around. But if I go directly to the website like Air Canada for instance, whatever I book through them even if it’s connecting, the bags will be moved to the connecting flight for us, correct? That’s fine with me because I usually use Kayak to see who has the best fares then I go directly to that carriers website and play around till I find the perfect flight. 

As long as the flight is same airline or a codeshare, your bags should be switched by the airport.

Just try to avoid the recent hotspots for luggage hiccups: Heathrow, Schipnol...

1 hour ago, Rysyonok said:

As long as the flight is same airline or a codeshare, your bags should be switched by the airport.

Just try to avoid the recent hotspots for luggage hiccups: Heathrow, Schipnol...

Yeah I’ve heard nightmare stories about lost luggage in those airports. Since we’re  flying out of the USA I'm hoping to fly Air Canada and have my layover there. It’s close and customs would be a breeze for us. But I’m keeping my options open because other airlines might have better prices. Thanks for the info. 

I wouldn't worry about not recognising other airlines - living in the US you wouldn't necessarily be familiar with them, but those of us who travel extensively in Europe will recognise that, for instance, TAP is the national airline of Portugal, Iberia the national airline of Spain, Lufthansa ditto Germany and Finnair - Finland. But read the reviews of any airline you're considering (the airline quality website below) to help you choose.

Here are some more websites to help with your choices. It's possible to fly from several airports in Texas to Madrid, so no real need to go via Canada!!

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/search

https://www.airlinequality.com/

https://www.rome2rio.com/

4 hours ago, Korimako said:

I wouldn't worry about not recognising other airlines - living in the US you wouldn't necessarily be familiar with them, but those of us who travel extensively in Europe will recognise that, for instance, TAP is the national airline of Portugal, Iberia the national airline of Spain, Lufthansa ditto Germany and Finnair - Finland. But read the reviews of any airline you're considering (the airline quality website below) to help you choose.

Here are some more websites to help with your choices. It's possible to fly from several airports in Texas to Madrid, so no real need to go via Canada!!

The issue with your suggestion is the potential for a carrier change enroute.  If the trip was pnly between New York (for example) and BCN, this would probably not be a problem.  With travel originating in DFW, it becomes more difficult to stay with one airline or partner which could lead to baggage handling difficulties and gate/terminal changes.

For sure, no need to go through Canada.... could connect through FRA or other European cities but the cost and time to do this is not better than a direct flight to BCN from North America.

For a DFW to BCN flight my first call would be BA (britishairways.com) and my last would be United or Delta.  But that is probably just a European perspective.

Regarding the Iberia/Finnair flights - do not be concerned.  In all probability it is just being ticketed through these airlines and you would fly on another airline's plane, probably British Airways.  This is because these airlines are all part of the same airline group and sell each others flights.

17 hours ago, Korimako said:

Great info thanks. I was thinking customs would be easier in Canada but I’m still open to using anyone. 

9 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

For a DFW to BCN flight my first call would be BA (britishairways.com) and my last would be United or Delta.  But that is probably just a European perspective.

Regarding the Iberia/Finnair flights - do not be concerned.  In all probability it is just being ticketed through these airlines and you would fly on another airline's plane, probably British Airways.  This is because these airlines are all part of the same airline group and sell each others flights.

Really? I didn’t know that. 

1 hour ago, cruisinqt said:

I was thinking customs would be easier in Canada but I’m still open to using anyone. 

I don't understand what you mean? Why would customs (or did you mean immigration?) be easier in Canada? Unless I have misread your posts, you are flying TO Europe for a return Transatlantic cruise, so you will have to clear customs and immigration in whichever European country you arrive in. Or have I got it back to front?

31 minutes ago, Korimako said:

I don't understand what you mean? Why would customs (or did you mean immigration?) be easier in Canada? Unless I have misread your posts, you are flying TO Europe for a return Transatlantic cruise, so you will have to clear customs and immigration in whichever European country you arrive in. Or have I got it back to front?

No you’re right. We will be flying from Texas to Barcelona for a transatlantic cruise. It’s just that Canada borders the US and customs tends to be a breeze for us when we travel there. If our layover is in Canada there’s no immigration to check, just show your customs form and boarding pass to get on the next leg of the flight. 

OK I understand - but why transit Canada - and the requirement for customs - when there are flights from Austin or Houston with a layover in Miami or Washington and direct from there to Barcelona with American Airlines/Delta?

Of course I haven't looked at prices and those could be eye-wateringly expansive!

On another point which was mentioned, if your flight is ticketed all the way to your final destination, you will say goodbye to your luggage at an airport in Texas and pick it up in Barcelona.

We once came home from France (using Mileage Plus points) and our ticket was Paris-Frankfurt-Shanghai-Auckland. In spite of thinking we'd never see our luggage again, with so many places for it to go AWOL en route, but there it was on the carousel in Auckland when we arrived!

Edited by Korimako
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend using matrix.itasoftware for your initial searches.  I've used it for decades when it was offered to people to act as system testers.  I used to have fun finding the most esoteric routing to places.   Then go directly to the airline to buy.  I don't trust 3rd parties to book - they will cobble together non-alliance airlines which will go south in an instant if something happens to your connection - you have to deal with the 3rd party to get another flight, not an airline.  I had that happen once when I had to get to a place that wasn't served all the way by an alliance and got fogged so missed 2nd flight,  A friend was trying to get back home from a competition in Innsbruck and missed a connection - she had a major issue trying to get hold of Expedia and having them help (athletes in minor sports don't have cash hanging around to buy another ticket).  

For seating, I'm a confirmed Business class person going across to Europe.   I want to sleep and not risk having someone spilling into my seat and using my shoulder as a pillow!!  I used Delta this summer and got one of the new 330-neo planes with the spiffy Delta One pods.  I slept like a baby!!  I had points so it wasn't a deal.  If I had to actually pay and couldn't do Business, I would absolutely take Premium Economy,  It is a step up from Comfort +, which is just regular economy with a couple of extra inches of legroom.  

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 1:49 AM, Rysyonok said:

If you're flying the same airline all along, yes.

Watch out for "hacker fares", plain speak for several separate legs booked "together". You're on your own there with lugging the bags to the next plain. Oh, and going through security and customs.

Also make sure it's a through ticket, not separate tickets for each leg. Airlines won't take responsibility for missed connections if the late flight is a separate ticket. 

Doesn't have to be the same airline. Most airlines are in alliances like OneWorld, Star Alliance or Sky Team and will interline bags and through check to final destination, as long as its on one continuous ticket and stopover in connecting city is less than 24 hours.

Also make sure your connecting flights use the same airport. For instance London has several major airports and airlines won't transfer bags between different airports even if you are on a through ticket

Edited by sgmn