Walk through the rolling hills of Amsterdam with Azamara

Mercruiser

Here is the email I received from Azamara today:

1762630545_Screenshot_20221025-071648_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.bb61eb30db7cdffab0d8057a8c1cccb9.jpg

I must have missed the rolling hills of Amsterdam during the two years I lived in Eindhoven. My recollection of Amsterdam is as flat as a Dutch pannenkoek. 🥞 

I get the impression that the writers tasked with producing this email have not actually seen Amsterdam.

Maybe Azamara will hire me to write some of these emails. Here are some of my ideas:

• Play in the sand dunes of Seattle
  • Walk amongst the elephant herds of Barcelona
  • Ski the slopes of Miami
  • Enjoy the tropical rainforests of Egypt

Now I understand what they mean by "Change the Way You See"

Edited by Mercruiser
  • Like 2
  • Haha 20

9 minutes ago, Mercruiser said:

Here is the email I received from Azamara today:

1762630545_Screenshot_20221025-071648_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.bb61eb30db7cdffab0d8057a8c1cccb9.jpg

I must have missed the rolling hills of Amsterdam during the two years I lived in Eindhoven. My recollection of Amsterdam is as flat as a Dutch pannenkoek. 🥞 

I get the impression that the writers tasked with producing this email have not actually seen Amsterdam.

Maybe Azamara will hire me to write some of these emails. Here are some of my ideas:

• Play in the sand dunes of Seattle
  • Walk amongst the elephant herds of Barcelona
  • Ski the slopes of Miami
  • Enjoy the tropical rainforests of Egypt

Now I understand what they mean by "Change the Way You See"

Perhaps the author paid a visit to a "coffee shop" before composing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

I would describe Keukenhof as 'rolling hills,' and that's where I think of when I hear Amsterdam + Tulips.  Maybe my geography is a little vague (to a native), but I think that's what the writer was going for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I would describe Keukenhof as 'rolling hills,' and that's where I think of when I hear Amsterdam + Tulips.  Maybe my geography is a little vague (to a native), but I think that's what the writer was going for.

Keukenhof is 40km from Amsterdam! I think if the email had said walk through the rolling hills of Keukenhof on a visit from Amsterdam, that would have been more accurate!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Keukenhof is 40km from Amsterdam! I think if the email had said walk through the rolling hills of Keukenhof on a visit from Amsterdam, that would have been more accurate!

Here's the difference between the British and American perceptions:  40 km (sounds like a lot) is only 24 miles – a nice day trip to see millions of tulips in 'rolling hills.'  Keukenhof is the #1 day trip from Amsterdam.  Give the marketing writer a break!

[I'm remembering when we were staying in Cheltenham and told our innkeeper that we were heading out to Bath, Stonehenge, and Salisbury.  They said: 'will you not be needing your room tonight then?'  We said: 'nonsense, we'll be back for dinner' – and we were!  169 miles – piece of cake!]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I lived in the Netherlands for two years, and explored the country pretty well. (It's not very big). The only part of the country that could be described as hilly is the Limburg province, in the extreme southeast part of the country, where Maastricht is located. The rest of the country is as flat as flat gets.

I'm trying to understand the idea that there are rolling hills in/near Keukenhof. I'm looking at my photos from a trip there. The only two possibilities I can think of are the the sand dunes west of Keukenhof or the manmade landscaping within the Keukenhof grounds. 

I guess if the Azamara marketing department wants to characterize Amsterdam as "rolling hills", it's within their prerogative. But I think it completely mischaracterizes a country that is famous for it's flatness. There are a lot of wonderful things to be said for Amsterdam - why in the world would they want to characterize it as something it is not? 

Want to read about the famous flatness of The Netherlands? See Is The Netherlands The Flattest Country In The World?

If you want to see actual rolling hills, come visit my part of the world. The Palouse has some of the prettiest rolling hills you'll ever see. 

• Like 2

If Keukenhof represents hills (rolling or otherwise) what is the Royal Mile or The Mound (note name, not even a hill) in Edinburgh. 😂😂😂

I think we can all understand miles v kilometres. 

Jazzbeau I expect your “innkeeper” reaction was because he would usually expect tourists to “do” places not flash through them. It’s like how we react to the one day Edinburgh- Loch Ness - Highlands tour. Accept for many maybe that’s all the time they have but that’s a drive by not a “do”. 

I do think the copywriter has been carried away by something and it does Azamara no favours. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, uktog said:

If Keukenhof represents hills (rolling or otherwise) what is the Royal Mile or The Mound (note name, not even a hill) in Edinburgh. 😂😂😂

It must get really confusing sometimes when someone see a phrase , "The sun is shining on the bonny banks and braes."

Conjures up images of A.T.M. `s and Donkeys......

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I recall many years ago Azamara promoting visiting one of the Seven Wonders of the World, The Colossus of Rhodes.  It was destroyed during an earthquake in 226 BC.

Was a Tardis involved?

• Haha 3

Nearly as good as the recommendations for Newcastle on Tyne.

Enjoy a game of  footie. .on a Thursday in August!!!???

Also enjoy Newcastle famous night life when the boat leaves at 7.00 pm at least an hour from the Bigg Market.

Tony Markey must still be spinning

• Like 1
  • Haha 2