150th Anniversary commemorative Beer

MereBooty

To be offered on all ships starting in January. This will make DH happy as all improvements in beer selection do.

"Holland America Line is saying cheers to its 150th Anniversary by introducing a limited-edition Pilsner beer – HAL Pils – made in partnership with Pike Brewing that will be served on board across the fleet. "

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/holland-america-line-launches-150th-anniversary-limited-edition-pilsner-beer-in-commemorative-can-1031832575

• Like 5

@Mary229What’s the difference between a Pilsner and a Lager?  I like Heineken on the ship.  

It comes in a special can.  I wonder if HAL will create a “special edition” glass to pour it into.  I would probably buy one.  

Edited by oaktreerb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

@Mary229What’s the difference between a Pilsner and a Lager?  I like Heineken on the ship.  

It comes in a special can.  I wonder if HAL will create a “special edition” glass to pour it into.  I would probably buy one.  

Lagers are mellower , think Guinness, Negro Modelo or Upper Canada

Pilsners are crisper and brighter, while in Belgium I first became a fan of pilsners also. Great for a warm afternoon 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Lagers are mellower , think Guinness, Negro Modelo or Upper Canada

Pilsners are crisper and brighter, while in Belgium I first became a fan of pilsners also. Great for a warm afternoon 

Us Aussies like to think we know our beers so I just had to comment on your post.

Pilsener is a lager originating from the Czech republic. It has a greater emphasis on the hops than the "average" lager.

Guinness is a stout, a type of ale. At least that's what we get in Australia and what is availble in Ireland and England. Maybe you have a different type of Guinness in the US. The Guinness I had recently on the Rotterdam is definitely a stout.

Upper Canada is a brew company that makes a lager and a dark ale. Negro Modelo is a lager.

Glad I got that off my chest. I will now be able to sleep tonight.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nang said:

Us Aussies like to think we know our beers so I just had to comment on your post.

Pilsener is a lager originating from the Czech republic. It has a greater emphasis on the hops than the "average" lager.

Guinness is a stout, a type of ale. At least that's what we get in Australia and what is availble in Ireland and England. Maybe you have a different type of Guinness in the US. The Guinness I had recently on the Rotterdam is definitely a stout.

Upper Canada is a brew company that makes a lager and a dark ale. Negro Modelo is a lager.

Glad I got that off my chest. I will now be able to sleep tonight.

I accept your expertise. Not being a drinker I rely on bartenders to instruct me.  I do like a beer with emphasis on the word “a”. 😊

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

There are two broad types of beer: Lagers and Ales.  Within both types, there is a wide variety of styles where the brewer roasts the malt, some use rice, the variety of hops, etc.

A Pilsner is a Lager type of beer.  Budweiser is a Pilsner for reference.  

Back to the 2 broad types, an Ale  uses top fermenting yeast and is fermented at a warmer temperature. A Lager uses bottom fermenting yeast and ferments at a cooler temperature. 

German/European beers tend to be Lagers.  English and many of the American craft beers are Ales, like IPA's, Pale Ales. 

One other characteristic that is common, but not absolute is Lagers seem to have more carbonation and Ales less carbonation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, shipshape sam said:

Budweiser is a Pilsner for reference. 

I would suggest that the original Pilsner, called Pilsner Urquell (see https://www.pilsnerurquell.com/ ) is a much better reference than Bud! For one thing, it is still brewed in Plzeň. For another thing, it tastes about 100,000 times better. Try a blind taste test with both beers.

Looking forward to HAL Pils or should I say Pike Post Alley Pils with a different label.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2022 at 3:00 PM, wandrr said:

I would suggest that the original Pilsner, called Pilsner Urquell (see https://www.pilsnerurquell.com/ ) is a much better reference than Bud! For one thing, it is still brewed in Plzeň. For another thing, it tastes about 100,000 times better. Try a blind taste test with both beers.

Looking forward to HAL Pils or should I say Pike Post Alley Pils with a different label.

Or the ORIGINAL Budweiser from Budvar, Czech Republic, and not the piss that Inbev calls beer. ( I am Belgian, proud of INBEV’s accomplishments, but not all beers they brew are good. I drank Stella Artois in high school though, once a week, complimentary and supervised obviously  by the teachers , from age 16, as my school, famous Montfort College , used the same well as the Stella Brewery and the owners are alumni).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Despegue said:

Or the ORIGINAL Budweiser from Budvar, Czech Republic, and not the piss that Inbev calls beer. ( I am Belgian, proud of INBEV’s accomplishments, but not all beers they brew are good. I drank Stella Artois in high school though, once a week, complimentary and supervised obviously  by the teachers , from age 16, as my school, famous Montfort College , used the same well as the Stella Brewery and the owners are alumni).

Oh yeah, on the ORIGINAL Budweiser. Once again for the doubters, I suggest a blind taste test between ORIGINAL Budweiser and American Budweiser. The only similarity is the name.

I am Canadian, but I have certainly enjoyed ORIGINAL Budweiser in Europe. You are fortunate to have been legally introduced to beer at an early age. We had to do it illegally!    😈

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2022 at 10:13 AM, CruiseCruiseCruise13 said:

Anyone know if this is already on the Rotterdam, as she just did the historic transatlantic?     
We’re sailing her in December and would love to pick up a 6 pack for my brothers. Not sure we’ll make it on a DAM ship next year. 

Yes they are 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found this listed last night on an MDR menu as a “featured beverage” on Navigator for $7.75

(I am not on board but since my upcoming cruise is on Koningsdam I think that is what it shows me?)

1D178140-CE89-4B2C-95EC-37EE1315DAF7.jpeg

Edited by MereBooty
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1