Comedians--- Same Ship/Same Set?

SwimCarrie

I'm sailing on Discovery Princess soon and noticed our "Comedy Themed Cruise" features the same comedians who were on our previous comedy themed cruise. Does anyone know if they say different jokes from cruise to cruise, or is it like the stage shows where it's the same? I don't know how much they're allowed to go "off script". Thanks!

2 hours ago, SwimCarrie said:

I'm sailing on Discovery Princess soon and noticed our "Comedy Themed Cruise" features the same comedians who were on our previous comedy themed cruise. Does anyone know if they say different jokes from cruise to cruise, or is it like the stage shows where it's the same? I don't know how much they're allowed to go "off script". Thanks!

A lot of the cruise line commedians do the same thing for many years.

On Princess, Glenn Hirsch, Billy Vader and Jeff Peterson were around for a long time.

I enjoyed them, but it is pretty easy to recall their 'lines'.

Billy Vader:  What's the difference between inlaws and outlaws?

Outlaws are wanted.

Glenn Hirsch:   Glebe Husch

According to Jeff Peterson's linked in, he worked on Princess for 29 years.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeff-peterson-25641b15/

546cf5_31a41959ac5f462a8cac4c8a7641c8b7.

I like Jeff.  He was also/originally a professional photographer.

17 hours ago, SwimCarrie said:

Comedians have routines which they constantly update and revise. When sailing years apart their acts will be similar. I have seen acts that change directions during the routine to focus on what is working that evening. They have their own scripts in their head. They are not provided scripts by Princess, but their act has to meet Princess' standards. If you enjoyed the act a year ago you will probably enjoy it again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, SwimCarrie said:

My educated guess is that you are going to hear parts of the show as the same old routine, but likely some new material.  They need to stay current with times as well.  But, expect a lot of the same old jokes that have been around for years about cruising.  Heard more than one on Regal this month.

When a comedian does a second show on a voyage, it is new material.  Sometimes, the second show is billed as more adult and guests are warned it may be a bit racier.  That said, it was not the case on Regal over three voyages we were on. 

Talk about repeat material, though.  A comedian (or is it comic?) was the opening act on each of the three voyages we took B2B2B.  Since it was the first theater show, CD Gary came out to do his shtick first and it was almost the same thing verbatim each time.  On the third voyage, the comedian from the first week came back for a show and I didn't go as I assumed it would be the same thing I saw about two weeks prior.  That voyage was longer and had two different comics, IIRC.  

One joke from a series about a comic and his wife.......  His credit card was recently stolen and he didn't report it because the thief was spending less than his wife did.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

When a comedian does a second show on a voyage, it is new material.  Sometimes, the second show is billed as more adult and guests are warned it may be a bit racier. 

I haven't heard a racy show on Princess ever since they eliminated the late night adult show many years ago. 

Maybe now that they're trying to attract a younger crowd they'll bring them back.