Enforcement

Tutuma

Just returned from Marina's Amsterdam to Barcelona cruise.  It was wonderful with great service and good dining experiences (although a few hiccups...it was expected post COVID ie new trainees and supply issues).  Sailing with O has always been a pleasure with its sophisticated approach to cruising.

However, despite clarity pre cruise and reminders in Currents, there was a lack of evening dress code.  For example, in Polo, we dined next to a table where a gentleman wore a t shirt and torn jeans.  Other violations occurred nightly.  Several times I quietly and politely addressed the situation with the maitre de with absolutely no action other than an agreement that there was a dress code.  Also noted my displeasure in the mid survey with no results.

The repeated situation certainly diminished the quality of my dining experience.  Why have a dress code with no enforcement?  My experience with other cruise lines is that if someone approaches the dining area in non approved attire they are politely advised that they may return once they adhere to the dress code.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

I understand the OPs concerns. However, the cruise industry is in transition situation as it struggles to survive. Relaxation of some “rules” is understandable in my opinion. Once (hopefully) this industry gets fully back on its feet it can examine which rules make sense and reintroduce them. 

• Like 6

This seems to be an ongoing problem  even pre covid  the guidelines were not being followed

If management does not care  I am not sure  anything will be done

You would think those sailing on more upscale lines would be able  to follow  some simple  rules of the evening dress code

It is not like you have to  wear  formal gowns or tux 

JMO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Noxequifans said:

I understand the OPs concerns. However, the cruise industry is in transition situation as it struggles to survive. Relaxation of some “rules” is understandable in my opinion. Once (hopefully) this industry gets fully back on its feet it can examine which rules make sense and reintroduce them. 

It is  a slippery slope 

once people  get used to wearing ripped jeans & T's to dinner it is hard to go back to nice slacks & collared shirts 😉

I do not get the ripped jeans concept anyway 

why people want to wear clothing that make them look like they are homeless is beyond me  & pay the prices to do so

JMO

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

I notice ripped jeans.  My take on them is that the wearers like whatever is trendy, and that they are signalling that they are into recycling whatever the cost.  Presumably, they can say they are environmentally friendly.  It baffles me, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

I'm lucky I am so self-centered that I don't usually notice what other people are wearing in the dining room. 

Possibly the best approach. Loud or obnoxious behavior would be a problem worth addressing but someone else's poor dress habits probably shouldn't make the cut for "ruining" your experience. Just be glad you ain't them and ignore their "visual boorishness."

Jus' sayin'...

• Like 8

I've never gotten the ripped jeans deal either.  Especially as "high fashion." 

I'm lucky I am so self-centered that I don't usually notice what other people are wearing in the dining room. 

My grand daughter wears ripped jeans that she paid more for that do for a pair of dress pants LOL  Fashion, go figure 🙂

Having said that, dress "code" is a continual topic from some regardless of the cruise line. Generally from "older" cruisers comparing to the good ole days.

Times change, fashions change and cruise lines have to stay current with today's values to get clientele. On land, there are changes as well and I do not see the need for cruise lines rues being any different than those on shore.

For sure on shore restaurants will not let you in if over the line clothing is worn and so should the cruise line but, the notice I see on restaurant doors is most often "no shirt, no shoes, no service".

So a lot of babble to say I agree basenji56, I really do not care what others wear, as long as it does not smell.

(which opens another peeve of mine being overloaded/overbearing smell you coming down the gangway perfumes and colognes LOL)

Edited by pete_coach
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Besides, once the dress code offender sits down at their table the ripped jeans are out of view, covered by the tablecloth and napkin on their lap. Once you start eating how does this diminish your dining experience unless you are staring at the offender's lap the whole meal?🙄. You could always ask to be moved to another table where the offender is not in your sight line.🤣

• Like 7

Yes, a bigger deal to me too.

I have been to a parfumerie in Eze and been less overwhelmed than in an elevator on an Oceania ship LOL

Interesting how we have come full circle. Not so long ago everyone was discouraged to wear a scent and recently, it has gone back and even more intense 🙂

Edited by pete_coach
  • Haha 1

They are not going to enforce it because they don't want to upset paying customers. Frankly there are more people who would prefer to wear jeans at dinner, then there are who are bothered by that.

I don't wish to disparage the OP, but frankly I can't relate to how this is an issue.  Unless the person has offensive body odor, or is loud/boisterous, it is not a problem for me.

You will be much happier if you just ignore it.

Edited by Nachosdelux
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nachosdelux said:

They are not going to enforce it because they don't want to upset paying customers. Frankly there are more people who would prefer to wear jeans at dinner, then there are who are bothered by that.

JMO

It may be the condition of the jeans that is disturbing  people

We wear jeans all the time at home  I can just as easily pack a nice pr of slacks  for a nice cruise but that is me

YMMV

• Like 1

In the old days on land the dress code was part of the atmosphere signaling that the dinners were well off and the venue only catered to those of that class.  The dress code was one way to separate out the riffraff so to speak.

These days the well off tend to dress casually (expensive casually but casually never the less).  They value comfort over formal attire. As a result most land venue have gone to much more casual attire.  Have seen very few that would stop someone from dining in a collar less shirt and jeans.

• Margaret Thatcher once showed up at a royal event wearing a dress that clashed with the Queen’s. When she sent a message to the palace suggesting that they coordinate their outfits ahead of time in the future, the reply came back that “Her Majesty does not notice what other people are wearing.”  I try to be like the Queen.
Edited by ReaderGirl57
Spelling
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Pandemic changed everything. For months we seldom left home. Many people stayed home and worked online. No need for office attire.  Retail stores that sold clothes did most transactions by mail.  It took me months before I went into a store to buy new clothes.  I shopped for new clothes in my own closet.  Fast forward after 2 years at home. Who has clothes for a cruise?  In June 2022 I took my first pandemic cruise. I pulled out my old cruise attire.  Happy that they still fit. Obviously, many people on my cruise didn’t have old cruise attire that fit. They wore everything.  While there were many appropriately dressed people, there were many dressed poorly.  Did it affect my experience?  No.  

• Like 1

I agree - the time has changed. People want to wear relaxed dresses at home and when on vacation as well. But sometimes it goes to the extreme. Years ago we were on Celebrity cruise and some “grownup kids” came in their pajamas for breakfast to the restaurant. We were surprised but still survived the cruise😉. Never returned to the Celebrity ship after that. 

10 hours ago, osandomir said:

I agree - the time has changed. People want to wear relaxed dresses at home and when on vacation as well. But sometimes it goes to the extreme. Years ago we were on Celebrity cruise and some “grownup kids” came in their pajamas for breakfast to the restaurant. We were surprised but still survived the cruise😉. Never returned to the Celebrity ship after that. 

This topic is nonsensical.

I have seen bathrobes on Celebrity at the breakfast buffet. I have also seen bathrobes in the Concierge Lounge on Oceania.

Does anyone think any dining venue will turn away Elon Musk or Mark Cuban or Richard Branson or Tim Cook? They are all T shirt and jeans wearers most of the times, even when making presentations to their shareholders.

Times and fashions change and as the on shore restaurants change, so should the on the sea cruise lines. Dress what you want but do not demand people to dress as you wish.

• Like 6

Oceania not alone...  We were on Seabourn in July -- formal night.  We are having an evening coffee at Seabourn Square.  Wearing a jacket (no tie) -- and someone sits at the adjacent table, wearing their "formal" bathrobe and slippers.   🙂

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, PaulMCO said:

Oceania not alone...  We were on Seabourn in July -- formal night.  We are having an evening coffee at Seabourn Square.  Wearing a jacket (no tie) -- and someone sits at the adjacent table, wearing their "formal" bathrobe and slippers.   🙂

Ah, there is no substitute for poor manners.

• Haha 1