Atlanta layover after cruise

xray0111

What would you say is a adequate layover in Atlanta flying Delta from FLL. to Mississippi?

Cruise is 37 days away and I just realized we only had a 1hr.  20 minute layover.  

We don't fly often and when we do we usually try for a 2 hour layover.  This time Delta changed our flight and I thought it said 2 plus hrs.  

We're 70 years old but still walk fairly fast.

This may be the wrong board to as this but I was not sure where which one>

Thanks,

XRAY

it may help a little if your plane seats are close to the front / exit door.  Sometimes it takes a while for those seated in front of you to grab their belongings and exit the plane.  If possible, I would check your seat numbers and make any changes possible.

ATL is huge and you will most likely have to take a tram to switch terminals.  As long as your flight lands on time, you should be ok.  But if you are delayed, it can be dicey.  I fly delta a lot, and have more than once had to actually run to make a connection in ATL that should have been "enough" time.

I hate when they "help me out" by tightening my connection time.  It may be worth looking online to see when the next flight runs.  Even if you opt not to call and ask to be switched, it always makes me calmer to know that if I do miss a connection, there is another flight they can put me on.  Often, though, I call and point out that this is not my choice, and if there is another flight they will switch me at no charge.  YMMV

And pasodancer is right, you want to be as close to the door as possible. You can lose a ton of time waiting on people who do not have tight connections to deplane.

With any luck the flight will be in the same terminal.  Atlanta does have a golf cart that run from the terminal gates to the escalators to the train.  There is usually a gate attendant that should be able to radio for one if needed.  Last December, when the airport was less crowded, my Dad was able to make his connecting flight from Terminal A or B to Terminal D walking himself.  It was a 1.5 hour layover and he was 84 at the time.

One thing I do is look at current flights with my itinerary to get an idea of which terminals/gates the flights may arrive and take off.  Obviously, not fool-proof and aircraft type can make a difference, but it gave me some idea what to expect.  I was pretty sure Dad was going to have to go to a different terminal based off the flights I viewed. 🙂

• Like 1

At 70+, I typically fly Delta coach on domestic flights and can easily make a 45 minute connection even changing terminals and going from/to gates at the far ends of the terminals unless my flight is late. I’ve always found the plane train to be very efficient. I believe the minimum connection time domestic to domestic is 35 min. in ATL.  
If I want a longer layover after my flight times have been changed (as long as other flights are available) it’s been very easy to change the flights in the Delta app or by messaging them through the app. The caveat is that other options might include a 4-6 hour layover. My son seems to have better results calling, but has longer response times than I do messaging.

I looked at the Delta connections at ATL and the worst case scenario is getting from terminal B to D.  Our seats are in the Comfort+ with about 30 seats behind the exit doors.

Unfortunately the other flight out leaves at 9:00PM which would mean a 6-7 hour layover which is better than a night in a hotel. Did that once and don't care to repeat.  

Guess We'll have to leave it up to the flight gods to get us there on time. Still 45 days from disembarking so a lot may change anyway.

Thanks for the replies.

20 hours ago, jk04 said:

Atlanta does have a golf cart that run from the terminal gates to the escalators to the train.  There is usually a gate attendant that should be able to radio for one if needed.

OP, I suggest you consider requesting a golf cart for your transfer in advance of your departure date.  If you do this, the golf cart will likely be waiting for you when you leave your plane.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 6rugrats said:

How do you request a cart?  I know where I work, you can only have a wheelchair request in your record.  I don’t know how it works @ ATL.

They just run back and forth, to the best of my knowledge.  You kinda flag them down if you need them.

Wheelchairs are different, as you say, with them being requested in your PNR.

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Wheelchairs are different, as you say, with them being requested in your PNR.

Why couldn't a cart be requested and that request be placed in your record?  I am fairly certain that I have seen carts waiting in the area of where people are deplaning for passengers.

On 10/30/2022 at 3:11 PM, rkacruiser said:

Why couldn't a cart be requested and that request be placed in your record?  I am fairly certain that I have seen carts waiting in the area of where people are deplaning for passengers.

Where I work, you can’t make a cart request; there’s no way to add this to your reservation.

Edited by 6rugrats
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2022 at 4:15 AM, xray0111 said:

I looked at the Delta connections at ATL and the worst case scenario is getting from terminal B to D.  Our seats are in the Comfort+ with about 30 seats behind the exit doors.

I'm not sure where you're looking to get that information, but Delta uses all 7 concourses at ATL, from T to F.  Your particular flight numbers may typically be scheduled at certain concourses/gates, but aircraft can change and gates can change for any number of reasons.  So the true worst case scenario is that you have to get from T to F. 

That said, while ATL is huge it is laid out very efficiently.  The plane train runs quickly and frequently, and if your flight lands on time and you aren't stuck in the last row of your inbound flight, a 1:20 connect is very doable.

From years of Delta business travel experience.....with ATL as the connecting center of my universe.

I'd always choose the Delta flight that worked for me....And let Delta worry about the connecting time........And no issues if you miss the flight as there is always another one and on you go with no fee on the next one......unless you cannot make the connection to the last flight of the night...and that is a nightmare.  There will be no one to assist and the hotels will all be supposedly booked.  Concrete floor overnight, thanks Delta. 

Also, it is fast to get around in ATL....the train can have you from T to E quickly. But it is pleasant and more fun to walk if you have the time to burn.

(the worst part of ATL is the service staff....in the restaurants, food courts, services, gate agents, etc...they are not known for pleasant and efficient service)

And yes, 1:20 is plenty of time....you can even walk and get your steps in!

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

(the worst part of ATL is the service staff....in the restaurants, food courts, services, gate agents, etc...they are not known for pleasant and efficient service)

Your experience is different than mine.  Don't recall any unpleasant service; could be more efficient at times, I would agree.  The best staff experience is the Delta Sky Clubs.  The one in the International Terminal!  it's the best!  

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

...not allowed in there...I'm certain that is better service....we hang with the regular peeps!

Even when I have been a a peep (more times than being a Delta One customer), I have had no complaints with ATL, either the terminal set-up or those people who assist the passengers in the concessions or at the gates.