Another nutty change in Hawaii, need your advice

shiner6

We have been to the Mauna Loa factory. Your notification was a bit hard to read, but if you are the type to take a nature type tour, then I think you might also enjoy the drive through the plantation to the factory. It is in a natural area and not a downtown factory as you might have expected. We found it relaxing and interesting. I don't think you can plan when they have it, but as it happened that day, they were selling chocolate covered seconds in the gift shop at a great price. Never saw a table empty so fast.

Having been to both, neither of them is a main reason to go or not go.  The attraction is the Volcano National Park and either of the other stops is a side show and really not much to pick from between the two.  

Hershey  chocolates bought out Mac Nut Factory.  Haven't been there in years.  The last time I was there, the "self guided" tour or a non-working factory was not available.  

There is a little bit of ground to walk around. 

Lots of samples of the different mac nut flavors.

Stuff to sell you.

It was one of the last places you could buy mac nut kisses.

It is on the way/or back from the Volcano National Park (main focus).

It may be too late to rent a car.  But if you can find one, then you could stop by Volcano Village and do some wine tasting (if they are opened).  It is worth spending the day at the Volcano.  Lots to see and do.

If they offer a "botanical garden/or orchid nursery, that might be a better option.

For me....it' would be a "no go" for the Mac Factory.  Did they say why?

And it is not an emergency!  The fact that Mauna Loa is rumbling and that the residents are put on high alert...NOW that is an emergency.  

• Like 1

My advice (from a land-based vacation on the Big Island, not a cruise, and as someone who has a passion for wine)…spend as much time as humanly possible at Volcano National Park. Go with a local guide and not a ship excursion. And spend as little time as possible (measured in nanoseconds) tasting wine in Hawaii. 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

My advice (from a land-based vacation on the Big Island, not a cruise, and as someone who has a passion for wine)…spend as much time as humanly possible at Volcano National Park. Go with a local guide and not a ship excursion. And spend as little time as possible (measured in nanoseconds) tasting wine in Hawaii. 

Thank you! That is what I am thinking. It was $190 pp and was supposed to include a dinner and wine in a lovely setting, so not a cheap outing for 4 people.  If I can just do the Volcano Park, that will be fine with me.  I had read some awful reviews on other cruise line boards about the Macadamia Nut Place.  If it is also a lovely place, then I am ok with it. If it is a factory with large tourist geared herding into stores, then I want no part of it.  

Here is a better version of the notice:

SHORE EXCURSION MODIFICATION (ITO-300)

Please be advised the Ultimate Hilo: Hawaii Volcanoes National Park & Tastes of Hawaii (ITO-300) shore excursion in Hilo has been modified due to operational reasons. The venue for the tasting has changed from O.K. Farms to the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Farm.

Please visit the Cruise Personalizer at www.princess.com/cruisepersonalizer to review the updated tour description or, if you wish, to reserve an alternate tour. You will be able to do so online up to six days prior to sailing or once you are on board.

We are sorry for any disappointment this may cause and look forward to welcoming you on board for your cruise.

Edited by shiner6

8 minutes ago, shiner6 said:

Thank you! That is what I am thinking. It was $190 pp and was supposed to include a dinner and wine in a lovely setting, so not a cheap outing for 4 people.  If I can just do the Volcano Park, that will be fine with me.  I had read some awful reviews on other cruise line boards about the Macadamia Nut Place.  If it is also a lovely place, then I am ok with it. If it is a factory with large tourist geared herding into stores, then I want no part of it. 

We did a tour with an outfit called Hawaii Forest & Trail and loved it. Not sure if that is viable as a cruise option, but might be worth investigating. 

The cancellation of Hawaii Volcanos National Park may be a cautionary move to stay away from Mauna Loa volcano which has been getting more active in recent weeks. Mauna Loa is the largest active volcano on the planet, and because of recent increase in activity, Hawaii officials are warning residents of the Big Island that the volcano is sending signals that it may erupt.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/10/28/mauna-loas-rumbling-continues-message-residents-is-simple-be-prepared/

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do not know what the shuttle situation is (today) in Hilo, but the airport is not far away.

1.  If there is a shuttle, they may limit it to just drivers.  You will have to return for your passengers.  Be sure to check with your rental agency for transportation options.

2.  If there is no shuttle, you might find others renting a car (from your roll call) and share a ride to the airport.

3.  If you rent from the airport, Hawaii State will nail you with an airport tax.

4.  Rental cars in Hawaii are outrageous since the pandemic.  Glad you booked on early.

I used a local person just outside the gates.  He rented old (not older) cars.  But the price was right.  

https://www.hilorentalcars.com

One of the best places to refill the tank is across from the airport.  

Hilo is a short port.  Make sure to give yourself plenty of time to return the car and get back to the ship.

BTW...Hilo is my favorite town.  Hawaii Volcano National Park is the number one attraction to visit if you have never been there.  Bring along your Senior Golden Passport for free entry.  

If you had enough...stop by Pahoa to see Lava Tree State Monument.  You used to be able to see be able to see a recent flow, but I think they finally cleared the road.  Jaggar Museum is suppose to have opened a branch there, but I am unable to provide any link or further information.  Maybe the park rangers might know something.

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dsp/parks/hawaii/lava-tree-state-monument/

https://www.nps.gov/havo/recovery.htm

@SantaFeFan

Hawaii Volcano National Park is part of Kilauea.  Mauna Loa is "the other" mountain.

"Residing on Hawaii, the Big Island, Kilauea is the world's most active volcano, and ironically, it is also the most easily accessed volcano. Residing merely 15 miles from the giant shield volcano Mauna Loa, Kilauea was once thought to be part of its large neighbor. However, despite its proximity, Kilauea has its own distinct magma chamber. Kilauea resides almost completely within Hawaii Volcanoes National Park."  https://www.summitpost.org/kilauea-hawaii-volcanoes-national-park/154791

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

The cancellation of Hawaii Volcanos National Park may be a cautionary move to stay away from Mauna Loa volcano which has been getting more active in recent weeks. Mauna Loa is the largest active volcano on the planet, and because of recent increase in activity, Hawaii officials are warning residents of the Big Island that the volcano is sending signals that it may erupt.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/10/28/mauna-loas-rumbling-continues-message-residents-is-simple-be-prepared/

I just read this article!!! Oh my. Thank you for posting!

We got the notice regarding the change to the macadamia nut farm but nothing on our emergency notice cancelling the National park. Our tour is titled "Ultimate Hilo; Hawaii Volcanoes National Park & Tastes of Hawaii. We did this excursion a number of years ago and wanted to do it again, we shall see.

I've done the Volcanos with the stop at the macadamia factory a few times (Roberts Hawaii tours is who we used).  The nut factory isn't a destination in itself but has pretty grounds to stretch your legs and have a snack/bathroom break.  A bonus is that you can buy nut flavors you can't always find everywhere, and is a great place to pick up little gifts to take home, but you can just enjoy the gardens around the buildings as well.  The volcano park is the best part, we loved walking through the Thurston lava tubes.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, shiner6 said:

Here is a better version of the notice:

SHORE EXCURSION MODIFICATION (ITO-300)

Please be advised the Ultimate Hilo: Hawaii Volcanoes National Park & Tastes of Hawaii (ITO-300) shore excursion in Hilo has been modified due to operational reasons. The venue for the tasting has changed from O.K. Farms to the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Farm.

Please visit the Cruise Personalizer at www.princess.com/cruisepersonalizer to review the updated tour description or, if you wish, to reserve an alternate tour. You will be able to do so online up to six days prior to sailing or once you are on board.

We are sorry for any disappointment this may cause and look forward to welcoming you on board for your cruise.

Would not consider the nut factory to be a lovely place, though if I remember the garden area behind the main building is ok.  I would not consider O.K Farms to be a lovely place either.  From my cruise last year I think that the National park and meal excursions have kind of dropped off in quality the past few years.

Also last year the tour did not stop at Volcano house, which is one of the more interesting places in the park.  So if you can make arrangements a tour on your own via rental car would probably be better or arrange an independent tour that you can some what customize.

2 hours ago, memoak said:

They may be shutting down portions of the park due to rumblings under some of the volcanos and their are warnings of possible eruptions

Except the new warning are about Mauna Loa, which is the big volcano.  The national park is around Kileau.  No real changes to the ongoing Kileau Eruption.

Mauna Loa is an issue because when it goes it can send out lava flows in pretty much any direction.  In the last eruption in 1984 the flow stopped just a few miles from Hilo.  It also tends to put out faster flowing lava.  If I recall correctly in one eruption the lava flowed about 15 miles to the sea in 3 hours.

17 hours ago, shiner6 said:

If it is also a lovely place, then I am ok with it. If it is a factory with large tourist geared herding into stores, then I want no part of it.  

We went there years ago (on an excursion). At the time, there was no "herding". We were able to wander around and see whatever interested us.

There was a viewing platform on the outside of the factory. We could look in the windows and see the workers doing their thing. Then we walked around the grounds a bit and wandered into the store and looked at the merch and sampled some nuts. IIRC we bought a couple of bags.

• Like 1

Geography Lesson:

The islands were created by one hot spot (shield volcanoes).  As the Pacific Plate moved Northwest, new islands were formed with Kauai (of the populated islands) is the oldest.  The island chain really goes much further west. 

Hawaii Volcano National Park is open.  https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

Mauna Loa and Kilauea do not share the same magma chambers.

It is safe as safe can be if you are visiting an active volcano (Kilauea).  If you go on your own, you may be able to see:

https://www.nps.gov/havo/learn/nature/steam-vents.htm

https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/day-hike-nahuku.htm

https://www.nps.gov/havo/learn/historyculture/volcano-house.htm

https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/kilaueaupdate.htm

There is more to see and drive than time will permit. 

image.png.f71cbb71b87203201d53e358346852c6.png

On a side note:  Mauna Kea is the TALLEST mountain in the world when measured from sea bed to summit.

If your cruise makes it to the Kona side, there 3 National Parks (Golden Passports) to visit but you will need a car.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Geography Lesson:

The islands were created by one hot spot (shield volcanoes).  As the Pacific Plate moved Northwest, new islands were formed with Kauai (of the populated islands) is the oldest.  The island chain really goes much further west. 

Hawaii Volcano National Park is open.  https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

Mauna Loa and Kilauea do not share the same magma chambers.

It is safe as safe can be if you are visiting an active volcano (Kilauea).  If you go on your own, you may be able to see:

https://www.nps.gov/havo/learn/nature/steam-vents.htm

https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/day-hike-nahuku.htm

https://www.nps.gov/havo/learn/historyculture/volcano-house.htm

https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/kilaueaupdate.htm

There is more to see and drive than time will permit. 

image.png.f71cbb71b87203201d53e358346852c6.png

On a side note:  Mauna Kea is the TALLEST mountain in the world when measured from sea bed to summit.

If your cruise makes it to the Kona side, there 3 National Parks (Golden Passports) to visit but you will need a car.

Thank you.  Interesting.  I think I’ll just stay on the ship!  😬

3 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Thank you.  Interesting.  I think I’ll just stay on the ship!  😬

Please don't do that.  There is so much to see and do in Hilo.  Catch a cab.  I heard there was a "free" shuttle in to town.  Walk around the Farmers' Market.  Visit a couple of the museums.  Enjoy Liliuokalani Gardens.  Browse through the small mom and pop shops..  

After the last major tsunami, Hilo built a nice breakwater and green belt park.  

Further out, there is Rainbow Falls/Boiling Pots.  One of the Four King Kamehameha statues is located in Hilo (2 on Hawaii Island, Honolulu, and Washington DC.)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Please don't do that.  There is so much to see and do in Hilo.  Catch a cab.  I heard there was a "free" shuttle in to town.  Walk around the Farmers' Market.  Visit a couple of the museums.  Enjoy Liliuokalani Gardens.  Browse through the small mom and pop shops..  

After the last major tsunami, Hilo built a nice breakwater and green belt park.  

Further out, there is Rainbow Falls/Boiling Pots.  One of the Four King Kamehameha statues is located in Hilo (2 on Hawaii Island, Honolulu, and Washington DC.)

Just kidding. I’ve been to Hawaii many many times and love it. 

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Just kidding. I’ve been to Hawaii many many times and love it. 

More reason to just enjoy the beauty of small town Hilo.  Pre-order your mochi from Two Ladies Kitchen, grab a drink of fresh coconut water/spoon meat coconut. Buy some anthuriums to brighten up your cabin.  Walk around Coconut Island.  I could spend a week or more in Hilo and that side of the island.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

More reason to just enjoy the beauty of small town Hilo.  Pre-order your mochi from Two Ladies Kitchen, grab a drink of fresh coconut water/spoon meat coconut. Buy some anthuriums to brighten up your cabin.  Walk around Coconut Island.  I could spend a week or more in Hilo and that side of the island.  

Personally I like the Kona side.  Just spent a couple of weeks there just prior to the Iron Man.