Paying for a guest outside of the Retreat to have Retreat access?

Ben100014

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 hour ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Nice, they might lower the prices if less people book 👍

Uh huh. Criticize the ones who pay for the exclusivity that goes with a particular room.

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just curious, what is there to prevent someone coming into the Retreat Lounge or Sun Deck if the non suite guest walks in with a suite guest?

When you provide your suite number, the photos of those in that suite pop up on the Maitre D's screen.  He/she can look over the top of their screen and see who is standing there?

18 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

When you provide your suite number, the photos of those in that suite pop up on the Maitre D's screen.  He/she can look over the top of their screen and see who is standing there?

I definitely get someone is not going to get into Luminae if they’re not approved to eat in there. But after the above discussion, it seems clear the Retreat management has a good handle on keeping unauthorized guests out of their other areas as well

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Almost as bad as chair hogs.

People, like me, who pay for the privilege of the Retreat find those who abuse it exactly as they are, rude and inconsiderate morons.*

*No offense to just plain morons.

You need to work on your social skills...name calling doesn't enhance your posts or your online image...

(I know, I know, you are paying for your entitlement and privileges, etc, etc...)

With suites sailing at full capacity, I don’t think exceptions should be made for non suite passengers, even in upper suites. Our last several cruises have shown lapses in service due to staffing issues. Adding additional passengers to an already full Luminae  dining room is diminishing the suite experience that we have paid for. 

I do realize that this is problematic to suite guests with family/friends traveling in other categories. We also have friends joining us for an Antarctica cruise who are not traveling in a suite. We plan to see them in lounges and on excursions. If they wanted the suite experience they would have paid for it. Why should we be subjected to longer waits and poorer service for passengers who failed to coordinate and plan well?

• Like 5

I certainly agree that suite folks should not be able to pay the way for non-suite folks to allow them access to Retreat venues. There are plenty of other venues where you can meet with non-suite traveling companions. 

• Like 5

Guest 4-2-N-8
2 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Access to the retreat is not exclusive to villa suite guests. I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

My comment applies to those who pay for rooms afforded Retreat access.

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 hour ago, dlh015 said:

You need to work on your social skills...name calling doesn't enhance your posts or your online image...

(I know, I know, you are paying for your entitlement and privileges, etc, etc...)

It was an attempt at a serious comment, with a grain of humor.

I will call out anyone who abuses the design of a system, social skills notwithstanding. It's one of my design features. 🙂

9 hours ago, bookitdanno said:

Conscience, like serving two from a single beverage package. It's called stealing. 

And unless upper suite where they seem to have your mug shots behind the bar, the lounge may well ask to see your card the first time or two.

• Like 1

I was "carded" my first day on Equinox when I went to the Retreat Deck. I walked in after someone held the gate open and the waiter came over and shyly asked for my room number with side eye. Maybe he didn't recognize my picture with the hat and sunglasses? That was the only time I was carded that cruise - they all knew me after that. It's amazing that they remember!

11 hours ago, jelayne said:

That’s disturbing!  Paying $1000 per day and someone traveling with a PH guest  can buy access to the Retreat and Luminae for $100.  Add to that Zeniths have been kicked out of the Lounge.  

Top level suite guests can already essentially buy guest access to the Retreat and Luminae for around $100 per day.  They can just add someone to their stateroom.  The price of adding a 3rd+ person to these upper level suites is in the neighborhood of $100-200 per day - very close to this $99/pppd suite privilege charge.

The reality is that these top level suites (PS, IS) have space to accommodate up to 6 passengers.  So for a group of 6, instead of jamming everyone in one room and having 2 friends or family sleep on the couch, they are allowing those people to pay a fee and stay in a different room (balcony or lower) while being able to utilize the retreat areas.

Edited by NorthStarStateCruiser

Guest 4-2-N-8
50 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Top level suite guests can already essentially buy guest access to the Retreat and Luminae for around $100 per day.  They can just add someone to their stateroom.  The price of adding a 3rd+ person to these upper level suites is in the neighborhood of $100-200 per day - very close to this $99/pppd suite privilege charge.

The reality is that these top level suites (PS, IS) have space to accommodate up to 6 passengers.  So for a group of 6, instead of jamming everyone in one room and having 2 friends or family sleep on the couch, they are allowing those people to pay a fee and stay in a different room (balcony or lower) while being able to utilize the retreat areas.

Now if that is the case, that makes sense.

Whew. I was beginning to think steerage would overtake the beloved Retreat deck. 😂

1 hour ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Now if that is the case, that makes sense.

Whew. I was beginning to think steerage would overtake the beloved Retreat deck. 😂

I get your take on sense of humour.

Regards,

Kevin

Guest 4-2-N-8
28 minutes ago, FRMPEI said:

I get your take on sense of humour.

Regards,

Kevin

Life is a tenuous proposition. 

I take a lot of it with a grain of salt. And often very dry humor. 😄

Im currently on the Edge TA about to leave Azores….a fantastic port by the way!…..and this is the first time Ive booked a Suite and using the Retreat. Im in the Retreat and asked the host about this issue and this is her response:

Yes, it is theoretically possible a Suite guest can get their family to join them….BUT….this is decided prior to the cruise and only available if the Suites stay unsold. Otherwise if all Suites are booked, it is not offered and the people asking to do this are told that if….IF…it is sold out prior, the offer is rescinded. Her strong suggestion is that all book the same Class and not rely on the minimal chance of this being available. Every one of the cruises I have booked in the future have no Suites available and this is cruises into early 2024!!

Den

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

On 10/30/2022 at 1:37 PM, Ben100014 said:

Hi all,

My family and I are staying in a Sky Suite on Nov 26 onboard the Apex. Recently, my brother indicated at the last minute that he wanted to join us onboard. We're going to try to get him a spot inside our suite, but our TA is telling us that doing so will be prohibitively expensive for some reason. We're going to speak with him in a few hours to get clarification, but in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to book my brother in an inside or balcony room, and then pay extra to get him access inside the Retreat with us. 

I thought I remembered seeing that this was explicitly not possible, but couldn't find a specific post on it. That said, does anyone have experience with a situation like this?

Thanks so much!

I asked the same question last year for some friends who sailed on the Apex. They were in a suite, not sure which one, but had a connecting cabin for their elderly father. They were able to get all the retreat privileges for the father. I don’t know how much but they did pay extra. They did have to book using one credit card and some other stipulations. 

2 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Im currently on the Edge TA about to leave Azores….a fantastic port by the way!…..and this is the first time Ive booked a Suite and using the Retreat. Im in the Retreat and asked the host about this issue and this is her response:

Yes, it is theoretically possible a Suite guest can get their family to join them….BUT….this is decided prior to the cruise and only available if the Suites stay unsold. Otherwise if all Suites are booked, it is not offered and the people asking to do this are told that if….IF…it is sold out prior, the offer is rescinded. Her strong suggestion is that all book the same Class and not rely on the minimal chance of this being available. Every one of the cruises I have booked in the future have no Suites available and this is cruises into early 2024!!

Den

Thanks so much for asking! Enjoy your cruise!

Hello

this is my experience from a recent sailing on the Reflection.

We had arranged to have dinner with a group who we had previously met in the retreat lounge. We arranged to meet in the lounge and one couple had decided to have a drink at the ensemble bar where they met another couple.

They decided to invite them to join the group and brought them in to the retreat lounge. It was very embarrassing for the everyone (apart from the ones who invited the couple) the Retreat host did not know what to do, the retreat bar server and the host at Luminae said nothing. They also took advantage of the free bar and to be honest they also ordered numerous starters and main meals in the restaurant. It was very embarrassing for us and we will never be party to this ever again. 

The next day we spoke to the barman in the retreat and the host in Luminae who knew some folks were not suite guests but could not do anything, they both said we cannot say anything to upset guests. We think this is totally wrong. 

Edited by swigso

4 minutes ago, swigso said:

Hello

this is my experience from a recent sailing on the Reflection.

We had arranged to have dinner with a group who we had previously met in the retreat lounge. We arranged to meet in the lounge and one couple had decided to have a drink at the ensemble bar where they met another couple.

They decided to invite them to join the group and brought them in to the retreat lounge. It was very embarrassing for the everyone (apart from the ones who invited the couple) the Retreat host did not know wha5 to do, the retreat bar server and the host at Luminae said nothing.

The next day we spoke to the retreat host who knew some folks were not suite guests but could not do anything, they both said we cannot say anything to upset guests. We think this is totally wrong.

They were also allowed to join your group when dining in Luminae? Interesting. Since you have to check-in with the Luminae host before being seated, that seems very odd. 

• Like 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

They were also allowed to join your group when dining in Luminae? Interesting. Since you have to check-in with the Luminae host before being seated, that seems very odd. 

Now I am fortunately back to being very upset (since I had nothing in the past hour with which to be upset). 😄

Edited by 4-2-N-8