What is your best onboard money-saving hack?

newtocruiseinblue

On 10/31/2022 at 6:27 AM, newtocruiseinblue said:

Yes, just trying to bring a light topic to the board with some positivity. We are clearly supporting HAL and spending money while onboard and I just recently learned about the spa raffle and some other fun ideas. I figured the HAL connoisseurs on the board knew fun free things to do on board or other money saving traveling tips! We like to  spend but do so economically. We also splurge to treat ourselves. 

We attend happy hour where the second drink is 25-50% off. We will probably also bring two bottles of wine onboard. 

It is good to know about the spa coupons and doing lunch in the pinnacle. 

Also, we do this no matter where we travel - not just this cruise. We usually have a good idea of our budget and try to stay within reason but most of all relax and have fun. That is one of the things that we love about cruising Holland America is that all of the meals are included and there are no surprises trying to track down touristy restaurants. Happy cruising! 

I heard on another HAL roll call (they're onboard) that HAL is now charging $18 per bottle of wine that you bring on ship.  Don't know if they are accurate - but you might want to double check.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, schildiams said:

What's the fee?

Unlimited laundry is $7/day ($9/day in Europe). It is charged for the number of days (i.e. nights) of your cruise, no matter when you send it your first item(s). If you mean the fee on the airline, that probably is not equal across the industry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, schildiams said:

How do you buy these cards?

Go to https://www.aarp.org/ -- click the AARP Rewards on top banner -- "sign up for free" -- scroll to "See all rewards". scroll down to find the Blue-Hulled Beauty. You don't have to be a member for HAL and maybe Princess, but you do for several of the other lines.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2022 at 11:21 PM, bluetardis said:

I bring my own drink mix, for my water bottle. But I do buy the coffee card. Also bring my own 12pack of soda. I’m also in an inside cabin

I haven't been able to find info on a stand alone coffee card on the HAL website.

If close to the ~50lb overweight baggage fee that many airlines impose, consider mailing back some items. Yes, not everyone will have the opportunity to do so -- especially if the return flight is only few hours after disembarkation. But if you have time, doing so could result in savings at the airport

We took a 10 day HAL cruise from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale in early October followed several days later by a 7 day Caribbean roundtrip from Miami on MSC. For the first part of the HAL cruise (Montreal to Boston), weather forecasts projected temperatures in the high 30s to high 50s/low 60s, a significant difference from the 80s & higher forecast for Miami and during the MSC cruise. Full disclosure -- I already overpack as it is. So having to pack clothing for such a wide range of weather and activities posed a challenge. BTW, anyone know if there is a Travel Packing Anonymous club?

After arriving in Miami, I found a FedEx Office location in our hotel (Intercontinental Miami). It would have been easy to buy a box and ship from that location, but FedEx imposes a weight-based surcharge because of its location in a hotel. $10 per 1-10lb package at this location, assuming the individual drops it off. I also wasn't sure of what size box to purchase at that point so I held off. While exploring the area the next few days, I stopped off at 2 other FedEx Office locations, checking out the options for shipping boxes and the cost based upon to/from zip codes, package weight, and time sensitivity. 

In the end, I found a FedEx office right across the street in a large office tower. No hotel surcharge. An 8.8lb package cost $37 (including an 13x9x11 box and a small roll of packaging tape) to ground ship home. At the American Airlines counter, my bag weighed 50.xx lbs, while my wife's bag was 49.xx lbs. Damn we're good, lol. AA charges $100 for a bag >51lbs to 70lbs, a $70 increase over the $30 1st bag fee for main cabin fares. We would probably have been able to cram all of the shipped items into 1 checked bag but it would have taken some effort. One of the shipped items was a very light but bulky Macpac fleece hooded sweatshirt. I might have been forced to wear it on the plane if it hadn't been shipped. Regardless, we would have been dinged with at least 1 overweight bag charge. By shipping a few items via FedEx, we saved $33 and it would have been $103 if both bags had been deemed overweight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2022 at 9:01 AM, rgoldstein86 said:

If you would like to donate to me, I'd be happy to spend your money to keep HAL sitting pretty. Just kidding (....kind of) 😉. I think the intent here was to get ideas on how to save money for those who might not have so much excess pocket change. Not everyone is in a position to be thinking about the the financial health of multi-billion dollar international companies as opposed to themselves. Any way to be able to enjoy amenities at lower cost is a great thing to know about for me, and I think what the OP was hoping to hear about.

I'm also interested in any cost-saving options. I've read about happy hours and 2-for-1 deals on drinks but don't know the details. Following.

Happy Hour 2/1 is now gone.  The Happy Hour now is buy one get 25% off second drink.

• Like 1

Luggage weight:  we invested in a small luggage weigher.  So far it has been pretty accurate.  We pack our bags to be about 45-48 lbs by our weigher thing & have never had an over weight bag.  It packs very easily into a suitcase or carry on, so that we can weigh our bags before setting them out the night before disembarkation.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KroozNut said:

They're not just alcohol, and they can be cost effective when you factor in the other beverages that they include.

Agree but if we are fine with the included coffee, iced tea, hot tea, hot chocolate, orange juice, pineapple juice, grapefruit juice, milk and water, I can't make the math work for us.......

And we have no use for $100 shore excursion in the Caribbean & we have no need for the internet & we are fine with the MDR.....

Everybody needs to do their own business case....For us it is a no but I can easily see how others would jump at this as a good deal......

We enjoy our 3 Star Mariner discount on Sommelier package 1 and we head to the thermal suite and a few others things for splurging.....Glad we have choices!

I love this thread....keep the suggestions coming.

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Unlimited laundry is $7/day ($9/day in Europe). It is charged for the number of days (i.e. nights) of your cruise, no matter when you send it your first item(s). If you mean the fee on the airline, that probably is not equal across the industry.

what is the turn around time for the unlimited laundry?

55 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Agree but if we are fine with the included coffee, iced tea, hot tea, hot chocolate, orange juice, pineapple juice, grapefruit juice, milk and water, I can't make the math work for us.......

And we have no use for $100 shore excursion in the Caribbean & we have no need for the internet & we are fine with the MDR.....

Everybody needs to do their own business case....For us it is a no but I can easily see how others would jump at this as a good deal......

We enjoy our 3 Star Mariner discount on Sommelier package 1 and we head to the thermal suite and a few others things for splurging.....Glad we have choices!

I love this thread....keep the suggestions coming.

I get it.. I suppose it was the way you phrased your original comment that you could not justify getting the beverage package because you weren't big drinkers (or words to that effect), which is what most people say and/or assume; that beverage packages were only for alcoholic drinks, which is why they couldn't justify getting one.

And yes, it's good to have choices, no matter what criteria they're based upon.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bluetardis said:

@dwc13  you are one smart cookie! You get gold stars for money saving tip of the year!

Thank you. I had also looked for a US Post Office and UPS store. I found a post office branch but it wasn't as conveniently located. The price *might* have been slightly cheaper than FedEx using free Priority Mail flat rate shipping boxes and service, but it would have been 2 packages to fit everything and more walking. And one never knows about the waiting lines at the post office. FedEx Office was more convenient (hours, proximity to hotel).

Instead of shipping things back I bring clothing and shoes to throw away.  Being an avid hiker and ex-runner I change out shoes often and I bring the pair next designated to throw away and leave them at my last stop.  I also review my clothing before packing up from a long journey and donate it or throw it away if I won’t wear it again.  Travel hack for cold climates - buy it at the thrift store then re-donate it when leaving  (I am talking about outdoorsy hiking clothing, if you stained or tore something just leave it in the trash).  Once with my mother I bought her a light weight travel wheelchair to tour Greece, we left it at  church at the last port where they could provide an elderly person with a chair.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Instead of shipping things back I bring clothing and shoes to throw away.

We used to do this....We kept clothes that we said were "one more times" and we used them for our travels and then would just throw them away as we traveled......works well with holes in the undies...LOL...never mind what mother said....LOL.

Lately, we only carry a carry on bag and backpack only (no matter the travel length) and we use the HAL laundry...."Rinse and repeat" as they say......This works out well when we head to Europe for a week land tour and then bring our carry on full of dirty clothes onboard a trans Atlantic ship and boom, all good to go......

We are flying to Machu Pichu in March for 5 days before boarding a 'dam ship to sail back to Florida.....That plan will work well for that also.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Banditswife said:

Luggage weight:  we invested in a small luggage weigher.  So far it has been pretty accurate.  We pack our bags to be about 45-48 lbs by our weigher thing & have never had an over weight bag.  It packs very easily into a suitcase or carry on, so that we can weigh our bags before setting them out the night before disembarkation.  

There is at least one cruise line that provides a scale near the purser's desk on the day before debarkation so that guests can weigh their luggage before leaving.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Atistec said:

what is the turn around time for the unlimited laundry?

If you blow up the attached, it says:

Express Service -- Items received by 9am will be returned the same day. Add a 50% surcharge.
Regular Service -- Items received by 9am will be returned the next day.

I'm not sure about specifying Express for Unlimited -- is that 50% of the day ($3.50) or 50% of the items' price, which could exceed $3.50 if more than one piece!

Laundry-List-pdf.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

If you blow up the attached, it says:

Express Service -- Items received by 9am will be returned the same day. Add a 50% surcharge.
Regular Service -- Items received by 9am will be returned the next day.

I'm not sure about specifying Express for Unlimited -- is that 50% of the day ($3.50) or 50% of the items' price, which could exceed $3.50 if more than one piece!

Laundry-List-pdf.jpg

Our recent experience with "unlimited laundry" has been next day delivery, usually late in afternoon.

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

We used to do this....We kept clothes that we said were "one more times" and we used them for our travels and then would just throw them away as we traveled......works well with holes in the undies...LOL...never mind what mother said....LOL.

Lately, we only carry a carry on bag and backpack only (no matter the travel length) and we use the HAL laundry...."Rinse and repeat" as they say......This works out well when we head to Europe for a week land tour and then bring our carry on full of dirty clothes onboard a trans Atlantic ship and boom, all good to go......

We are flying to Machu Pichu in March for 5 days before boarding a 'dam ship to sail back to Florida.....That plan will work well for that also.

Microfiber material (underwear, etc.) works very well for rinse and wash for quick dry.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dwc13 said:

If close to the ~50lb overweight baggage fee that many airlines impose, consider mailing back some items. Yes, not everyone will have the opportunity to do so -- especially if the return flight is only few hours after disembarkation. But if you have time, doing so could result in savings at the airport

We took a 10 day HAL cruise from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale in early October followed several days later by a 7 day Caribbean roundtrip from Miami on MSC. For the first part of the HAL cruise (Montreal to Boston), weather forecasts projected temperatures in the high 30s to high 50s/low 60s, a significant difference from the 80s & higher forecast for Miami and during the MSC cruise. Full disclosure -- I already overpack as it is. So having to pack clothing for such a wide range of weather and activities posed a challenge. BTW, anyone know if there is a Travel Packing Anonymous club?

After arriving in Miami, I found a FedEx Office location in our hotel (Intercontinental Miami). It would have been easy to buy a box and ship from that location, but FedEx imposes a weight-based surcharge because of its location in a hotel. $10 per 1-10lb package at this location, assuming the individual drops it off. I also wasn't sure of what size box to purchase at that point so I held off. While exploring the area the next few days, I stopped off at 2 other FedEx Office locations, checking out the options for shipping boxes and the cost based upon to/from zip codes, package weight, and time sensitivity. 

In the end, I found a FedEx office right across the street in a large office tower. No hotel surcharge. An 8.8lb package cost $37 (including an 13x9x11 box and a small roll of packaging tape) to ground ship home. At the American Airlines counter, my bag weighed 50.xx lbs, while my wife's bag was 49.xx lbs. Damn we're good, lol. AA charges $100 for a bag >51lbs to 70lbs, a $70 increase over the $30 1st bag fee for main cabin fares. We would probably have been able to cram all of the shipped items into 1 checked bag but it would have taken some effort. One of the shipped items was a very light but bulky Macpac fleece hooded sweatshirt. I might have been forced to wear it on the plane if it hadn't been shipped. Regardless, we would have been dinged with at least 1 overweight bag charge. By shipping a few items via FedEx, we saved $33 and it would have been $103 if both bags had been deemed overweight.

I carry a digital scale.  If for some reason overweight a pound or so simply put something into a reusable shopping bag.  It has sometimes weighed 20lbs. Goes for free.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

I carry a digital scale.  If for some reason overweight a pound or so simply put something into a reusable shopping bag.  It has sometimes weighed 20lbs. Goes for free.

Good call. 

If we're flying somewhere, we use a portable luggage scale to weigh our baggage before leaving home. Then we make note of the weight per the airline scale at check in. 

A reusable bag is something my wife always carries when traveling. They are so useful and take up very little space when stored. We used one to carry on a few snack items so they wouldn't be crushed in our small backpacks. Nobody wants potato chip confetti when they have the munchies, right?

• Like 2