Duty free cigarettes, buy on ship or in port?

rene194215

Hi,  I am not a smoker, but have a friend who would like for me to get them some.  Is it better to buy on the ship or in port?  I will be going to Grand Cayman.  If you know the pricing?  It would be for marlboro.  I tried to search and did not see a specific thread with my question.  Thank you in advance!

On the ship for sure. I have priced out all the ports I think. Jamaica had some unknown brand a dollar or two less. I've read foreign made cigarettes also often dont taste the same.

Really hard to beat prices onboard. Try the duty free in cozumel but I didnt find cheaper.

Note only one carton is allowed by customs so if you do one of those buy 3 get 1 free deals, hide them in your suitcase. Customs never searched your suitcase.

I was buying for a  neighbor who was dying. Before someone lectures me. 

I bought for my brother-in-law during our last two cruises (one Carnival and one Princess).  Both had a 4 for 3 deal, meaning 4 cartons of marlboros for $150.   We spread them out among our traveling companions.  

Does anyone know what duty fee would apply if the extra 3 cartons were declared?  

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I bought for my brother-in-law during our last two cruises (one Carnival and one Princess).  Both had a 4 for 3 deal, meaning 4 cartons of marlboros for $150.   We spread them out among our traveling companions.  

Does anyone know what duty fee would apply if the extra 3 cartons were declared?  

It's been a long time since I've read the regulations but I think anything over the allowance is subject to forfeit, so I looked to see what CBP says and found this (emphasis added):

Returning resident travelers may import tobacco products only in quantities not exceeding the amounts specified in the personal exemptions for which the traveler qualifies (not more than 200 cigarettes and 100 cigars if arriving from other than a beneficiary country and insular possession). Any quantities of tobacco products not permitted by a personal exemption are subject to detention, seizure, penalties, abandonment, and destruction. 

It is a complex area and more detailed research is suggested before purchasing anything.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

On the ship for sure. I have priced out all the ports I think. Jamaica had some unknown brand a dollar or two less. I've read foreign made cigarettes also often dont taste the same.

Really hard to beat prices onboard. Try the duty free in cozumel but I didnt find cheaper.

Note only one carton is allowed by customs so if you do one of those buy 3 get 1 free deals, hide them in your suitcase. Customs never searched your suitcase.

I was buying for a  neighbor who was dying. Before someone lectures me. 

It's my understanding that cruise lines routinely report large purchases to CBP, so searching may not be necessary. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

It's my understanding that cruise lines routinely report large purchases to CBP, so searching may not be necessary. 

I do know a watch was reported that was over the $800 personal limit and he was called aside. I think cigarettes would be much harder to monitor. They would have to mark anyone who bought more than a carton, not knowing if you have family to help carry them off.

I'd buy again. ..but that's me. The desk would need a picture of the people who bought more and be watching for them. 

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

This dates me but I paid $8 a carton for Marlboro in the box on the Jubilee in '88.

4 hours ago, topaz123 said:

Point of reference......One pack of Marlboro in Chicago runs $16/pack.  Tax man goes crazy ....

That is crazy, but I guess it might give the right incentive.  I think they are around $10 - $11 here.  

9 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

It's been a long time since I've read the regulations but I think anything over the allowance is subject to forfeit, so I looked to see what CBP says and found this (emphasis added):

Returning resident travelers may import tobacco products only in quantities not exceeding the amounts specified in the personal exemptions for which the traveler qualifies (not more than 200 cigarettes and 100 cigars if arriving from other than a beneficiary country and insular possession). Any quantities of tobacco products not permitted by a personal exemption are subject to detention, seizure, penalties, abandonment, and destruction. 

It is a complex area and more detailed research is suggested before purchasing anything.

Well, that explains why I couldn't find the fee.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I do know a watch was reported that was over the $800 personal limit and he was called aside. I think cigarettes would be much harder to monitor. They would have to mark anyone who bought more than a carton, not knowing if you have family to help carry them off.

I'd buy again. ..but that's me. The desk would need a picture of the people who bought more and be watching for them. 

I would think it would have to be more than a "normal" amount in order to be reported. They would probably just report it and let CBP sort it out as for who is actually bringing them back and this would be flagged to the passenger's name, which would be flagged to CBP and as with the watch they would be called aside. If a friend asked me to purchase for them I probably would but I haven't had the need myself since 2006, which was before we started cruising.

14 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

This dates me but I paid $8 a carton for Marlboro in the box on the Jubilee in '88.

When I was in the Navy we were able to buy cigarettes tax free from the ship's store once we entered international waters. On my last ship in 1992 a carton of Marlboros was $5.90, generics $3.50. I look at cigarette prices now and am very, very glad that I quit, even though it was a heart attack that was the incentive to do so.