RCCL Diamond Looking at Celebrity

microbubba

I've looked around and found some info here, just wondering if anyone having experience on both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity could easily answer a couple quick questions.  We're experienced RCCL cruisers at Diamond level, cruised once on Millennium a long time ago in the old "cabin has a window" days.  So what is the comparison level on Celebrity for:

RCCL Diamond = Celebrity ???? 

RCCL Diamond Benefits = Celebrity ???

A Junior Suite on RCCL = Celebrity ???

A Grand Suite on RCCL = Celebrity ???

RCCL Suite Benefits  = Celebrity ???

Not looking for anything in depth, not looking for reviews, just to help get a feel for Celebrity scales of cabins & service.

THANK YOU

-Bob

Just now, microbubba said:

We're experienced RCCL cruisers at Diamond level, cruised once on Millennium a long time ago in the old "cabin has a window" days. 

Okay, just had to say that Celebrity is back to the "cabin has a window" days on the E-class ships. 😬 But in a suite, you'll have a balcony.

1 hour ago, microbubba said:

I've looked around and found some info here, just wondering if anyone having experience on both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity could easily answer a couple quick questions.  We're experienced RCCL cruisers at Diamond level, cruised once on Millennium a long time ago in the old "cabin has a window" days.  So what is the comparison level on Celebrity for:

Not looking for anything in depth, not looking for reviews, just to help get a feel for Celebrity scales of cabins & service.

THANK YOU

-Bob

Junior suite = sky suites

Diamond = Elite 

1 hour ago, microbubba said:

THANK YOU

-Bob

Celebrity elite gives you a happy hour 5 to 7 I believe in any bar

I much prefer celebrity suite perks to rccl , every celebrity ship has a suite restaurant not just some like rccl , food and service in celebrity suite restaurant is superior to rccl. 
Celebrity suite lounge is also far superior, it has free drinks from early morning to late night. Not just for 3 hours.

New edge class also offers suite outdoor area with pool , hot tubs and bar with small restaurant.

All suites have a butler.

as for size celebrity sky suite is about the size of rccl junior suite 

Celebrity celebrity suite is about the size of grand or owners suite.

This year we sailed on both Harmony and Silhouette.  IMHO the comparative value of their loyalty programs pales to the experience being sought.  Celebrity main dining and lounges offer superior fare, service & atmosphere.  Celebrity staff are very, very cool.  RCL ships have the Flow-rider & slides.  RCL has superior production shows.  RCL is family-friendly and raucous while Celebrity markets to an older, affluent clientele and some LGBTQ types seeking safe spaces among oldies.

My advice is don't pinch pennies on loyalty bennies, pick the experience you' re hoping for.

• Like 1

Adding to what everyone else has said so far (that I agree with)… I’ve been on a dozen or so celebrity cruises, a few carnival, one Norwegian, and two on RCCL.

The most recent cruise I’ve been on another line was on the Oasis about 10 or so years ago. 

I was totally unimpressed with the ship. The food  and service quality even in the speciality restaurants in oasis wasn’t as good as celebrity aqua. Lines everywhere. Felt like I was at a theme park. Celebrity is way more relaxed and luxurious. 

Im sure someone else would say celebrity is boring because no water slides and no surfing simulator. Pick the experience you want. 

IMHO the elite benefits don’t make too much of a difference on either line. I’m at select and will have elite soon… my next cruise will be on celebrity in 2 weeks… but the following will be on princess (my first on that line) because I prefer that itinerary. 

for the upcoming one in 2 weeks on the edge, I’m mostly on it for the ship and I may not even get off at any of the ports. Just want to relax with good service somewhere pretty and warm. 

4 hours ago, microbubba said:

THANK YOU

-Bob

No dedicated lounge like the DL. Celebrity has suspended the CC HH in the evening. Unlimited drinks at most bars only from 5 to 7:PM each evening except the first evening (embarkation). CC HH drinks can't be ordered in any of the dining venues. You will each get a wash n fold bag of laundry.

DW and I sailed RCCL many times and would do so again if traveling with kids or young adults.  However, being empty nesters Celebrity is the experience we are looking for.  As others have said the Celebrity product is geared towards adults who are seeking a relaxed, cool environment. There are usually very few kids/families on board. Most passengers are couples between 40 years old to early 70’s. The entertainment, dining and amenities are geared towards this demographic. Staff is wonderful. I have sailed in Star class on RCCL and the experience in Royal Suites and above on Celebrity is even nicer.  

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 4:17 PM, kwokpot said:

Junior suite = sky suites

They may be equivalent in size but a Celebrity Sky Suite gets full Retreat access. A Royal Junior Suite does not get any suite benefits, at least not on the ship’s I’ve been in a Junior Suite.

I'm Diamond Plus (180 points short of Pinnacle) on RCCL and Elite Plus on Celebrity (earned on Celebrity, not based on my RCCL status).  Therefore, I know both of them well. IMHO, Celebrity has better food and a lot of little luxury features that RCCL lacks, like nightly chocolates on your pillow, cloth towels in public restrooms, towels found on pool lounge chairs without having to check them out, iced water offered when you return to the ship from a port, etc.  On the other hand, Celebrity entertainment is not quite up to RCCL entertainment and X lacks some of the RCCL "wow" features like the Ice Rinks, the flow riders, and the aqua theaters.  Most of the time, room categories are not easily comparable.  For example:

RCCL Diamond = Celebrity ???? : Elite, but see below.

RCCL Diamond Benefits = Celebrity ???:  Elite, but there is nothing really comparable to the RCCL Diamond Club and Elite free drinks are available only at bars and lounges (not at restaurants) and only between 5PM and 7PM.  On the other hand, the Elite breakfasts (usually in the Tuscan Grill) are served and are better than the breakfast buffets in the RCCL Diamond Clubs. Still, the loyalty program is one area where RCCL is better.  In particular, RCCL Pinnacles have better benefits than Celebrity Zeniths.  In fact, my opinion is that no cruise line loyalty program offers any level of benefits that are equal to the benefits of the RCCL Pinnacle Club.

A Junior Suite on RCCL = Celebrity ???:  No real comparison. The Junior Suite is the same size as a Celebrity Sky Suite but the Sky Suite comes with more perks than any RCCL suite, other than an RCCL Star Class suite.

A Grand Suite on RCCL = Celebrity ???: See above. The RCCL GS is similar in size to a Celebrity Suite but the Retreat Lounge is (IMHO) nicer than the RCCL Suite Lounge and (again, IMHO) Luminae is superior to Coastal Kitchen. The Retreat sundecks are also nicer than RCCL suite sundecks.  

RCCL Suite Benefits  = Celebrity ???.  Celebrity has nothing that is equivalent to RCCL Star Class.  For example, even if you are in a top suite on Celebrity, you will not have a "Genie" who will reserve a front row seat in the theater without an advance reservation, so you can arrive at a show five minutes before it starts and have a better seat than people who reserve the show in advance and arrive 30 minutes early. However,  my opinion is that The Retreat perks are superior to any RCCL suite perks that are short of Star Class.

Edited by actuarian
Typo

We’re D+ on RCCL cruising only upper level suites on their smaller ships and have cruised only upper level suites on X. 

The above post lays it out well though it’s a bit hard to compare and contrast because there are different benefits on RCCL based on class of ship. Ditto with X. 

If you book a Royal Suite or above on X, it’s really “sweet.”  Free premium beverage package.  Free internet.  Free gratuities.  Free specialty dining as often as you like.  Free laundry.  Almost an all-inclusive.  I think Service and food quality on X is better. 

If you have kids, go with RCCL.  Much more for them to do.  More kids with whom to interact. Better kids program. 

If you want true luxury, go with a luxury line like Silversea or Regent. 

For the OP, if you tell us what you value on a cruise or in a suite, we can provide better advice.  

On 11/4/2022 at 9:48 PM, Cruise Gopher said:

We are RCCL Diamonds and made the move to Celebrity about 8 years ago and never looked back. Royal just isn’t for us anymore. 

Because? Getting older? Need less excitement onboard? Entertainment?

We have done three RC cruises and are about to do our first Celebrity on Equinox in December. 

I am concerned that the shows wont match anything on RC and I mean from Comedy, Ice, Broadway and Aqua shows. 

We're 56 and 68 and no kids but we have loved our experiences on Royal.

7 hours ago, beerme1 said:

Because? Getting older? Need less excitement onboard? Entertainment?

We have done three RC cruises and are about to do our first Celebrity on Equinox in December. 

I am concerned that the shows wont match anything on RC and I mean from Comedy, Ice, Broadway and Aqua shows. 

We're 56 and 68 and no kids but we have loved our experiences on Royal.

Royal Caribbean has drastically changed their target demographic in the past 10 years. They have gone all-in on families with young kids. And that’s great for them, they have to stay profitable.  But the chaotic/loud/crowded/busy environments they have created onboard are not the calm peaceful atmosphere that we enjoy while cruising. 

You bring up a very good point though, the entertainment. No one does it better than Royal, from the ice shows, aqua shows, and legit Broadway shows (although they are moving away from those too, back to their in-house created shows). 

For us, Celebrity embodies the true spirit of cruising. Calm, relaxing days at sea, good singers in lounges, still decent entertainment, very elegant and modern ships, amazing food, and just an overall elevated experience at an affordable price still.

• Like 3

I am booked on Beyond next September for my first Celebrity cruise with my husband.

I am RCCL Diamond and he is Emerald status although I think they will link our C&A numbers to give him Diamond as well?

I know Diamond equates to Elite on Celebrity but the website states not applicable to Preview Captains Club status…does this mean that as it’s our first cruise we aren’t eligible for any benefits?

I’m a bit confused by it all although Its no big deal really….still looking forward to sailing Celebrity!