Passport question....

mommyz

It's amazing I can't Google the question regarding needing a passport to go to Bermuda and get a unified answer of agreement.

All persons traveling between the United States and Bermuda are required to present a passport to enter Bermuda or re-enter the United States

vs.

If you are cruising to Bermuda, then you don't necessarily need a U.S. passport book, but can use any of the following documents instead: U.S. passport card, Trusted Traveler card (Nexus, SENTRI, or FAST card), or an enhanced driver's license.

EDIT:

Okay, here is the official verbiage from Celebrity Cruise's website:

If you are cruising to Bermuda, then you don’t necessarily need a U.S. passport book, but can use any of the following documents instead: U.S. passport card, Trusted Traveler card (Nexus, SENTRI, or FAST card), or an enhanced driver’s license.

If you take a closed-loop cruise to Bermuda, you can leave your passport at home and travel instead with a state-issued ID and an original birth certificate.

Regardless, we always recommend traveling with a U.S. passport book, in case there are any inconveniences during your trip.

Edited by NJRonbo

For those referring to the 6 month rule, Here is the list of countries that have a reciprocal agreement waiving the requirement. Your passport need only be valid for your anticipated stay.

CBP technical requirements

Here is the latest list of countries that allow, and can be seen on the CBP website for the 6 month club...

https://www.cbp.gov/document/bulletins/six-month-club-update

passport.thumb.jpg.5375b1ecf239994ab6473e2d2901c85f.jpg

• Like 1

I know everyone has different situations with passports. 
I applied for new passport in the midst of the pandemic and was to,d it would take at least 60 days, bummer. 
in fact, I got new passport with passport card in 3 weeks. 

Just an up date on US passport delivery.  I sent my Passport renewal package by Priority mail on Oct. 27.  The new passport was delivered by USPS yesterday November 12.  This was a two week turnaround.  It went from Texas to Philadelphia for processing.  We did pay for the expedited service (around $60 I think) because of some on the delays we had read about here.  I can't tell you how glad I was to get the Passport back so promptly.  We were trying to hit a gap between trips and ended up with a month to spare.

On 11/5/2022 at 12:58 PM, mommyz said:

I was thinking more about if something happened medically and we had to stay behind.  That's when we would need valid passport to get home.  I have heard a few horror stories. Luckily travel insurance would fly us back home.  Trying to cover all bases!

Depending on the country, and the situation, you may need a passport valid for six months to enter the country (as opposed to transiting through it like you do on a cruise).

6 hours ago, Mark_K said:

Depending on the country, and the situation, you may need a passport valid for six months to enter the country (as opposed to transiting through it like you do on a cruise).

Check post #35.

On 11/5/2022 at 1:54 PM, tfred said:

I, and my SIL, both renewed passports this summer.  In both cases expedited took 3 weeks or so   I would get it done that way

We had to do an emergency renewal because *somebody* didn't realize his passport had expired.  We got it back in less than 2 weeks after submitting it to an outside agency that does the processing / expediting for you.  It was a bit nerve wracking.  Fortunately for us, *somebody* got Covid and our cruise was canceled.  So we didn't need the passport anyway.  😁

We have the same situation with our son whos passport expires in jan and we are cruising in Dec.  We were stressed about getting a new one until my wife and i took  a cruise on silhouette last week and they didn't even look at our passports.   Not saying its a lock that will happen in december and we'll take his birth cert just in case, but they didnt seem overly concerned about passports in either check in or disembarkation.

Edited by 20165
spelling
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, 20165 said:

We have the same situation with our son whos passport expires in jan and we are cruising in Dec.  We were stressed about getting a new one until my wife and i took  a cruise on silhouette last week and they didn't even look at our passports.   Not saying its a lock that will happen in december and we'll take his birth cert just in case, but they didnt seem overly concerned about passports in either check in or disembarkation.

But don’t they ask for passport info during check in?

14 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Actually, that's a really good question.  We just handed them our passports 2 weeks ago when we boarded out of habit but i wonder what would happen if i handed them a drivers license or birth cert.  Ill give it a try next month.

16 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Good question.

We are sailing for the first time on Celebrity next June.  Been looking at check-in videos and at one point the app asks for (I believe) a photo of your passport.   

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

They asked for our documents in Tampa last week. It would be a huge oversight, if they forgot at embarkation. For itineraries that require a passport, that will be the only document they accept. For itineraries that accept an official birth certificate and photo ID, I’m sure they would accept those as well as a passport. 

You also show your documents to customs upon return, especially if traveling with a birth certificate. (For ports with facial recognition, those with passports may not actually present them when going through customs at disembarkation but not all ports have facial recognition yet.)

2 minutes ago, prmssk said:

They asked for our documents in Tampa last week. It would be a huge oversight, if they forgot at embarkation. For itineraries that require a passport, that will be the only document they accept. For itineraries that accept an official birth certificate and photo ID, I’m sure they would accept those as well as a passport. 

You also show your documents to customs upon return, especially if traveling with a birth certificate. (For ports with facial recognition, those with passports may not actually present them when going through customs at disembarkation but not all ports have facial recognition yet.)

We had facial recognition last week when we disembarked in miami.  It was wonderful.  From the time we walked off the ship to a cab had to be no more than 5-10 minutes.  

We are sailing out of Ft Lauderdale next month.  Does anyone know if they have facial recognition?