MSC - back home clean package - can you use it early?

Ryan82

Not that I intend to turn up with dirty clothes packed, but getting everything neatly pressed for the start of the cruise appeals more than having it cleaned towards the end. Not sure about you but not matter how well I pack, it ends up creased.

So can you buy the back home clean package but use it on the first day does anyone know?

I buy a travel size bottle of wrinkle release to spray on my clothes and DH always rolls his clothes up in dry cleaning plastic.  No wrinkles...ever.  I know this isn't what you asked but I'm responding because I can't imagine turning my clothes over to a ship laundry where everything is washed is scorching hot water and dried in a hot tumble dryer...none of my clothes would fit when they were returned!    Most of my clothes are washed in cold water and lined dried (exception, underwear).  Maybe it's different for men.  I'd rather rock some wrinkled clothes, I think.

• Thanks 1

All laundry packages are “Back Home Clean” and can be used throughout the cruise.

MSC has scaled down the services included in laundry packages.

No pressing !

No dry cleaning !

No hangers !

No neatly fold in plastic (shirts) !

We have been made aware of these changes after receiving our clothes back from the ship laundry in a brown paper bag. (Med cruise October 2022 on MSC Grandiosa).

Our Yacht Club butler told us about the changes when he delivered the bag to our cabin and that we have to read the fine print in the description of the package.

All laundry packages are now “Wash, Dry & Fold” only, they used to include dry cleaning, pressing, hangers or fold in plastic.

I marked 2 pairs of pants for dry cleaning on the order sheet and all shirts on hangers. Laundry staff ignored the order sheet and threw everything into the washer. Needless to say that both pairs of pants are ruined. When I pointed out that the clothes look worse after being laundered than before the YC butler gave me the speech to read the fine print and offered that pressing of 2 pieces are included in YC perks.

We learned the lesson.. laundry packages are only good for underwear, swim shorts, pajamas and socks.

Dry cleaning, pressing and shirts on hangers are services which can be ordered for a fee.

To be fair.. I didn’t read the fine print when I ordered the laundry package and didn’t read the description in the booking confirmation.

I assumed that I will get the same laundry service as on all cruises with MSC in the past.

Unfortunately that was not the case.

6CBE0DD8-814F-4915-A828-DC46D8FEF992.thumb.jpeg.8d556a75c289a8f3076e6125ed1bca5b.jpeg

1DE9F4C7-071D-4ECE-972D-CDAD5C2EE857.thumb.jpeg.8c58d2ca4dd1548bec81e4bd6f20d498.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad this was brought up.

Our experience very similar to SirWolf.  We have sailed MSC 4 times, in YC.

We always added laundry to our cruise. In the past, it was great and laundry delivered in excellent condition.

Last cruise, in October, we were told by Butler our laundry had to be sent by Monday. Our cruise went until Friday.

Received laundry stuffed back in the same paperbag it was sent. ( not folded)

3 items had to be tossed as they were ripped. ( looked like equipment issue) 
From the color of clothes, it appeared as if entire order put in washer together. My white jeans were light green. 
Order was jeans, t shirts, shorts, sweatpants and underwear.

We will never do laundry package again on MSC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

What a difference from then and now.  The laundry package used to be a great deal.  Always did BTB and had up to 40 items for both of us laundered, pressed and hung on hangars. Sounds like i could wash in the sink and dry on the deck and get better laundry than stuffed in a bag. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CarolnLarry said:

What a difference from then and now.  The laundry package used to be a great deal.  Always did BTB and had up to 40 items for both of us laundered, pressed and hung on hangars. Sounds like i could wash in the sink and dry on the deck and get better laundry than stuffed in a bag. 

It has changed for the worse! We use to do the same as we sometimes sail for 30 days at a time. Last time I bought the package, the price went up and all 40 pieces have to be sent out at the same time, it use to be you could send out a few at a time. When they came back last time, several pieces were missing and the clothing that was returned were wrinkled and didn't even look like they were cleaned. I now either take enough clothing or wash in sink and hang to dry. Such a disappointment since this use to be should a great convenience and deal.

Edited by ready2cruzagain
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, SirWolf said:

All laundry packages are “Back Home Clean” and can be used throughout the cruise.

No pressing !

No dry cleaning !

No hangers !

Our first cruise with MSC was in 2018, and our last MSC cruise where we used their laundry package was in 2019.  Both cruises were in YC.  On our first cruise, our butler specifically told us "no dry cleaning" when we asked about the laundry package.  Hence we didn't send anything out that requires any special attention.  Our t-shirts, polos, socks and unmentionables all came back clean and nicely folded inside brown paper bags.  I found nothing wrong with that.

That said, on both cruises we were able to send a few items at a time.  But even back then, there were talks on CC that different ships run the laundry differently where the entire laundry order can only be sent once.  That's just part of the MSC experience.  LOL!

In the past laundry service included

• Dry cleaning (pants, dresses), pressing,

delivered on hanger

• Washing , drying and pressing of shirts, 

polos , T-Shirts and pajamas ,

delivered on hanger ..or.. folded in plastic.

A shirt (washed , dried & folded) is not what I usually wear and dress pants doesn’t go into the washer. 

Pressing is a must for most shirts and pants.

** Off-topic **

We had another issue.. YC bathrobes !

Only one robe was in the closet when we embarked. We had to ask the butler for a second bathrobe. The butler took both robes the day before disembarking out of the cabin. I asked him about the missing bathrobes and he explained that he has to send all bathrobes to be laundered for new passengers embarking the next day. He further told me that they are short of bathrobes.. that explains the large hole on the back of one of the robes.

My overall impressing was that the service in Yacht Club is slowly slipping..

• Like 1

@9876 .. the order form is misleading ..

they make you fill out the form offering “Dry cleaning” and “Wash & Ironing” but they only wash & dry accordingly to service included in Laundry Package.

We never had the single page with Laundry Packages onboard.

Now that I know how it works I will most probably not buy the laundry package anymore.. but will give 2 pairs of pants to the YC butler for pressing/ironing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CarolnLarry said:

We always did the same. Most of our trips would be at least 3 weeks, DH would always send shirts and trousers to be washed and pressed, keeping the luggage weight down. The change to one batch was bad enough, this is a very disappointing development.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 2:55 PM, SirWolf said:

No pressing !

No dry cleaning !

No hangers !

We have been made aware of these changes after receiving our clothes back from the ship laundry in a brown paper bag. (Med cruise October 2022 on MSC Grandiosa).

Our Yacht Club butler told us about the changes when he delivered the bag to our cabin and that we have to read the fine print in the description of the package.

All laundry packages are now “Wash, Dry & Fold” only, they used to include dry cleaning, pressing, hangers or fold in plastic.

I marked 2 pairs of pants for dry cleaning on the order sheet and all shirts on hangers. Laundry staff ignored the order sheet and threw everything into the washer. Needless to say that both pairs of pants are ruined. When I pointed out that the clothes look worse after being laundered than before the YC butler gave me the speech to read the fine print and offered that pressing of 2 pieces are included in YC perks.

We learned the lesson.. laundry packages are only good for underwear, swim shorts, pajamas and socks.

Dry cleaning, pressing and shirts on hangers are services which can be ordered for a fee.

To be fair.. I didn’t read the fine print when I ordered the laundry package and didn’t read the description in the booking confirmation.

I assumed that I will get the same laundry service as on all cruises with MSC in the past.

Unfortunately that was not the case.

6CBE0DD8-814F-4915-A828-DC46D8FEF992.thumb.jpeg.8d556a75c289a8f3076e6125ed1bca5b.jpeg

1DE9F4C7-071D-4ECE-972D-CDAD5C2EE857.thumb.jpeg.8c58d2ca4dd1548bec81e4bd6f20d498.jpeg

Very useful guidance. Many thanks. Not like Princess Elite perk. But no problem. 
Louise 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/6/2022 at 7:31 AM, Ryan82 said:

Not that I intend to turn up with dirty clothes packed, but getting everything neatly pressed for the start of the cruise appeals more than having it cleaned towards the end. Not sure about you but not matter how well I pack, it ends up creased.

So can you buy the back home clean package but use it on the first day does anyone know?

Go to your dry cleaner and get the clothing bags they put over the finished dry cleaning.  Then when you pack your clothing do so with the pressed clothing in the bags and on your own hangars.  When you unpack onboard ship you will have perfectly pressed clothing wrinkle free already on hangars.  

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Go to your dry cleaner and get the clothing bags they put over the finished dry cleaning.  Then when you pack your clothing do so with the pressed clothing in the bags and on your own hangars.  When you unpack onboard ship you will have perfectly pressed clothing wrinkle free already on hangars.  

I have done this for years with good results but I am more concerned with after a weeks wear and the laundry package.

I've never done this, so not sure how it will work out, but...

An upcoming international cruise will require us to pack a bit lighter than usual, as we'll have to take hours worth of trains followed by taxis.

So I bought these laundry strips.  The goal is to bring fewer items and wash some in the sink using these strips. They are not liquid, so no TSA issues, and they are lightweight, so easy to transport.

Here are the laundry strips I bought.  As mentioned, I haven't actually used these yet, but expect to soon.
Laundry Strips

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

We did book the 20 item laundry package for our upcoming cruise but plan to only use it for t-shirts and things like that, just to get us through the second week.

We always fly in a day or two before cruising so I press the things that need it at the hotel before boarding and hang them in a garment bag that we carry on the ship.
Works out great,  we just transfer those items (already on hangers) to the closet in our room. 

I pack the garment bag and light metal “dry cleaner type” hangers in our checked baggage for the flight. 

• Like 2

On 12/4/2022 at 9:27 PM, Stockjock said:

I've never done this, so not sure how it will work out, but...

An upcoming international cruise will require us to pack a bit lighter than usual, as we'll have to take hours worth of trains followed by taxis.

So I bought these laundry strips.  The goal is to bring fewer items and wash some in the sink using these strips. They are not liquid, so no TSA issues, and they are lightweight, so easy to transport.

Here are the laundry strips I bought.  As mentioned, I haven't actually used these yet, but expect to soon.
Laundry Strips

This is great.  Thanks!

I see on Amazon there are a lot of choices for these laundry strips.  Perfect for a cruise!

I also use the “Wrinkle Release” spray.  I use the Downy brand, but there are others.  They work great for keeping clothes smelling good and wrinkle free.

I’m a “carry on” only traveler.  I use ship’s laundry services (mainly NCL’s Sapphire perk).  They always returned my laundry clean and neatly folded in a basket.  If MSC is just throwing it in a washer, then a dryer, and then throwing it in a bag, for $40, probably not interested.

I’ll do my own in my sink!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

If MSC is just throwing it in a washer, then a dryer, and then throwing it in a bag, for $40, probably not interested.

That’s exactly what they do..

wash, dry & fold only included in pre-paid laundry packages.

No dry cleaning.. No ironing..

No delivery on hangers..

These are services they would charge for if requested.

10 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

That’s exactly what they do..

wash, dry & fold only included in pre-paid laundry packages.

No dry cleaning.. No ironing..

No delivery on hangers..

These are services they would charge for if requested.

I get it.  Not interested. I can do that in 10 minutes in my cabin sink....then hang them up to dry in the bathroom.

18 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I get it.  Not interested. I can do that in 10 minutes in my cabin sink....then hang them up to dry in the bathroom.

The laundry packages used to be a good value before they changed the service to “wash, dry & fold”. 

We had DW’s dresses and my suit dry cleaned,

dress shirts laundered and neatly folded in plastic bag for easy packing traveling home.

Shirts were ironed and delivered on hanger.. ready to wear.

Most changed of MSC are not for the good.

12 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

The laundry packages used to be a good value before they changed the service to “wash, dry & fold”. 

We had DW’s dresses and my suit dry cleaned,

dress shirts laundered and neatly folded in plastic bag for easy packing traveling home.

Shirts were ironed and delivered on hanger.. ready to wear.

Most changed of MSC are not for the good.

Dry Cleaning is never an issue for me.  I don't need it.  I don't wear suits any more.  And, I don't take dress shirts on my cruises.  My GF at the time took dresses, but was able to keep them from wrinkling by using the Downy Release spray.

For a 7 day cruise in a tropical climate, I would plan to wear my clothes 2x before considering it dirty.  That said, I do change boxers every day, and wash my gym shirt/shorts daily.

I only do carry one for tropical locales.  Alaska is a bit different, as you usually need bulkier sweaters/sweat shirts, which require more space, which require more bigger luggage.

Mediterranean requires more clothing as I travel there at least a day or two before the cruise embarks and a day or two after disembarkation.

If it's wash/dry/fold...might be worth it for me as I wear shorts, khakis, boxers, Izod and Hawaiian Shirts.  But, if they're just washing, drying and throwing them in a bag.....not interested.

Edited by graphicguy