Has Holland gone too far with their constraints??

Spitz55

Holland has really created a love hate relationship with it's passengers. There are too many issues before even embarking on your cruise with Holland that there is a bad taste in your mouth. It starts with setting the time of embarkation without any regard to the passenger's prearranged transportation. There is NO flexibility in boarding times for non elite passengers, so maybe these times should be communicated WHEN final payment is due. Most people make their arrival arrangements before 13 days of departure. Then lets talk about their latest beverage rules, 6 liters of water in stainless steel or paper per cabin whether your cruise is 5 days or 50 days. This is arbitrary, seems a lot more pollution waste on the shorter cruises. Does not matter whether you have medical reasons for not drinking alcohol no exceptions. No excpetions seems to be Holland's attitude towards regular paseengers. We feel like we are toddlers with a list of nonsensical rules that are not designed to make you feel good about being on board. I can assure the corporation that this will definetly effect my on board attitude; I do not feel welcomed or valued. As a share holder I am astonished. As a cruiser I will not be returning.

As to the boarding situation that was done to comply with federal government rules.   Most people forget but we are still under an emergency order - it has never been lifted and has purposefully reimposed.  So you can take up that argument with the federal government.

As to bringing water onboard, I bring a sports bottle.   That is my solution but I understand those who would rather the old system.  

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Spitz55 said:

Holland has really created a love hate relationship with it's passengers. There are too many issues before even embarking on your cruise with Holland that there is a bad taste in your mouth. It starts with setting the time of embarkation without any regard to the passenger's prearranged transportation. There is NO flexibility in boarding times for non elite passengers, so maybe these times should be communicated WHEN final payment is due. Most people make their arrival arrangements before 13 days of departure. Then lets talk about their latest beverage rules, 6 liters of water in stainless steel or paper per cabin whether your cruise is 5 days or 50 days. This is arbitrary, seems a lot more pollution waste on the shorter cruises. Does not matter whether you have medical reasons for not drinking alcohol no exceptions. No excpetions seems to be Holland's attitude towards regular paseengers. We feel like we are toddlers with a list of nonsensical rules that are not designed to make you feel good about being on board. I can assure the corporation that this will definetly effect my on board attitude; I do not feel welcomed or valued. As a share holder I am astonished. As a cruiser I will not be returning.

Well....first of all, nobody is forcing you to cruise HAL...I am sure you can find other cruise lines that have policies and procedures you like.

And, for 4 and 5 star Mariners, and suite pax, they have in fact been flexible when they can board.

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

As to the boarding situation that was done to comply with federal government rules.   Most people forget but we are still under an emergency order - it has never been lifted and has purposefully reimposed.  So you can take up that argument with the federal government.

This is wrong.  The CDC lifted all Covid-19 regulations and now only have suggestions.  The cruise industry is no longer under any Covid-19 rules.  As much as I enjoy blaming the Government for things, they're no longer to blame for each cruise lines protocols.

• Like 3

"

1 hour ago, Spitz55 said:

It starts with setting the time of embarkation without any regard to the passenger's prearranged transportation. There is NO flexibility in boarding times for non elite passengers, so maybe these times should be communicated WHEN final payment is due. 

I'm pretty sure that you would not be denied boarding if you arrived after your assigned time, so long as it was before the cut-off time. As to an early arrival, there have been numerous accounts of folks simply ignoring the time that they were given and boarding at their convenience. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

This is wrong.  The CDC lifted all Covid-19 regulations and now only have suggestions.  The cruise industry is no longer under any Covid-19 rules.  As much as I enjoy blaming the Government for things, they're no longer to blame for each cruise lines protocols.

It is because the building is a manned as a federal building not a cruise related protocol

Edited by Mary229

The Federal Public Health  Emergency Order has not been lifted which may have something to do with boarding procedures as Mary 229 mentioned.  See below.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) must renew the federal public health emergency (PHE) related to COVID-19 every 90 days to maintain certain health care flexibilities and waivers. The PHE has been in place since January 27, 2020, and renewed throughout the pandemic. The latest HHS extension for the PHE is effective through January 11, 2023.

• Thanks 1

We have always used flight ease and our boarding time has corresponded with the time our shuttle got us to the terminal. Y about half an.hour. Coincidentally maybe but I think not. I’ve never seen so many cranky people. If you aren’t planning to have a good time with Hal why cruise with them?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

It is because the building is a manned as a federal building not a cruise related protocol

Cruise terminals are generally owned and operated by the local Port Authority. State/ City/ County.  I'm not aware of any Federally operated cruise ship terminals.  Even the security is not done by the TSA, it is handled by the individual cruise line's contractors.  Extending or declaring a Public Health Emergency does not grant the secretary of HHS authority to regulate boarding times for cruise ships, it only authorizes certain exemptions of medical funding, federal assistance and investigations, but there is no regulatory authority granted to the HHS secretary.

5 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Cruise terminals are generally owned and operated by the local Port Authority. State/ City/ County.  I'm not aware of any Federally operated cruise ship terminals.  Even the security is not done by the TSA, it is handled by the individual cruise line's contractors.  Extending or declaring a Public Health Emergency does not grant the secretary of HHS authority to regulate boarding times for cruise ships, it only authorizes certain exemptions of medical funding, federal assistance and investigations, but there is no regulatory authority granted to the HHS secretary.

https://www.porteverglades.net/port-covid-19-udate/

the terminals have federal employees working there so must follow federal (not cdc) guidelines 

Edited by Mary229

9 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

https://www.porteverglades.net/port-covid-19-udate/

the terminals have federal employees working there so must follow federal (not cdc) guidelines 

I'm interested in seeing where you see any current federal regulations regarding the operations of cruise terminals.  The only Federal employees are in the disembarkation area (CBP), not the embarkation area.  If you want to blame the Feds, go ahead, but I don't believe they're to blame for this.

Many other cruise lines are scheduling embarkation times at the convenience of the passenger and their travel plans, not what the cruise line dictates while ignoring passenger preferences.  The government does not have their sticky fingers in how cruise lines schedule embarkations.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I'm interested in seeing where you see any current federal regulations regarding the operations of cruise terminals.  The only Federal employees are in the disembarkation area (CBP), not the embarkation area.  If you want to blame the Feds, go ahead, but I don't believe they're to blame for this.

Many other cruise lines are scheduling embarkation times at the convenience of the passenger and their travel plans, not what the cruise line dictates while ignoring passenger preferences.  The government does not have their sticky fingers in how cruise lines schedule embarkations.

Notice in the quoted link that the port authority says they are working in conjunction with the federal government on Covid conscious steps.   I have never been in a terminal without federal employees.   

We just boarded the NA in Port Everglades.  We were not asked to show our boarding pass to enter the building or go through the scanner or do the facial recognition/passport check or even to go to the 4/5 star waiting area.  The only time we had to show our boarding pass was when they scanned it when we got on the ship (key cards are now in your mailbox).  So - arrive at the terminal anytime you want.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Well, I guess those "federal rules" only apply to HAL since we have cruised out of both Port Everglades and the Port of Miami (multiple times) with other lines with no boarding restrictions.  In fact, that includes two cruise lines (Princess and Seabourn) which are both part of the HAL group.

Hank

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Well, I guess those "federal rules" only apply to HAL since we have cruised out of both Port Everglades and the Port of Miami (multiple times) with other lines with no boarding restrictions.  In fact, that includes two cruise lines (Princess and Seabourn) which are both part of the HAL group.

Hank

The rules are still there and the boarding time seems to be the last vestige of compliance.  The passengers have notably taken liberties with their compliance.  Still the same there are still Covid rules according to Port Everglades 

it is sort of like the recent flower hoopla.  Having exported natural products I have always known that flowers were prohibited in some places from entering.  HAL just recently decided to start being compliant as it probably now serves their wishes however it could be because they got their hand slapped 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1