Using a Fire Stick on the Celebrity Silhouette

jagoffee

I am trying to use my Fire Stick on the Silhouette.  Has anyone been successful over the last couple of years?  I tried to search for the correct answer here, but I am still confused.  

I am currently in Miami.  I have been able to hook up the Fire Stick and use it from my I Phone Hot Spot, so I know it is working. (Using my Cellular data)  Whenever I try to hook up the Fire Stick to the Silhouette High Speed guest internet, the browser does not come up.  Therefore I cannot sign into the ship’s internet.  It is interesting that if I try to use the Silhouette Staff internet, it goes to the internet screen.(of course I do not have a password)  It seems to me that the ship’s guest Internet (suppose to be High Speed Streaming) is purposefully blocking this functionality.

Any tips on getting around this block?  Either now or on my next cruise?  Or am I just an idiot? 

Feel free to just direct me to the some posts on this particular subject.  Do I need a mini router?  Can I possible do this with my IPad.?  I am certainly willing to buy another piece of hardware.  Maybe I can find one in San Juan.  

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.

It is irritating that mirroring does not work on board with IOS devices.  Apparently it works with a Samsung device and maybe regular non IOS devices

Thank you.

I am going to stop by the Internet Cafe shortly.

Edited by jagoffee

At least with Android, simply logging into the ship's wifi with the phone and then connecting the Firestick ( or google tv) to the phone's shared wifi works like a charm for me.

I think it's less a matter of the ship doing something on purpose than it is one of the annoyance of some devices having trouble connecting to "captive" wifi systems--i find the similar system is required when using some communal wifi systems in large universities for example.

anyway, hope that helps and have a great trip!

23 minutes ago, happysolotrav said:

At least with Android, simply logging into the ship's wifi with the phone and then connecting the Firestick ( or google tv) to the phone's shared wifi works like a charm for me.

I think it's less a matter of the ship doing something on purpose than it is one of the annoyance of some devices having trouble connecting to "captive" wifi systems--i find the similar system is required when using some communal wifi systems in large universities for example.

anyway, hope that helps and have a great trip!

Thank you.  I understand your point, so that is good.  As you say neither of my IOS devices can work as a shared WiFi unless using Cellular data.  But isn’t that just a work around for the fact that the Celebrity Silhouette premium internet will not open the browser to log  in on the guest Internet?

Just for clarification.  Can I use an Android (without any Cellular plan) as an Internet device and share the Internet? 

I appreciate your help in understanding the situation,

1 hour ago, m8zenblue said:

I’m sorry if you take offense to my reply. 
But, who needs tv on a cruise ?
Seems to me there is just too much stuff to do other than hanging out in your cabin watching tv. 

You could ask me a similar question.  Why do I watch HD movies on my 6.7" phone.  Because it works.  The Firestick gives you access to a lot of content so you can watch what you want.  I don't think the TV offerings onboard are that great, are they?

Seems to me there is just too much stuff to do other than hanging out in your cabin watching tv. 

Not offended at all.  I want to keep this thread focused on this tropic.  I can help you understand at a different time.

• Like 3

Definitely don't take offense from your post and hope you don't take offense to my reply.

We each enjoy a cruise in a different way.   I for one am not a drinker and can't figure out why anyone would enjoy sitting around a bar and drink all day, but many do and I respect their choice.   Others need constant organized activities while others like me rarely participate and find lots to do from, reading, walking and enjoying life at sea.

I for one not only bring one Fire stick but usually bring one for the living room and bedroom.   No I don't sit around all day in our suite but sometimes when in a Penthouse or Royal Suite it is a nice place to just chill and enjoy life at sea.   

I guess we may all agree that TV Programming on ship is terrible.   I do like watching the news both in the morning while eating breakfast in our room at in the evening.  I do not watch either FOX or MSNBC as thy are so polarized in both direction.    With a media device I can watch my Local News and generally record it to play on  the time zone I'm at.

We probably live on Celebrity 3 months or more out of the year so for us it is more of a home than needing instant gratification and needing to be entertained.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Now back to the OP's Question.     You should search as I've posted often on this topic and most of my live posts I've done a tutorial.

Task 1 -   Attach your device and switch to HDMI Channel -

While I'm using Roku everything also works on Fire Stick

A quick Google will always answer most of your questions --

Fire TV Stick do not have a dedicated web browser, but they do have a hidden app (CaptivePortalLauncher) that will open a web page to access a captive portal. This app will open a browser window only during Wi-Fi sign in.

1. From the Home screen, select Settings > System > Wi-Fi.
  2. Under Available Networks, select the public Wi-Fi network. For networks that require a web page to log in, a browser window will pop up after several seconds.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to use your Amazon remote to select text fields or enter cursor mode to select a button. An on-screen keyboard will open for text fields.
  4. Enter in the required information. This could be a pre shared password, room number, or just a button to accept conditions for using the network. Contact the network owner for more information
  5. After your device connects to the network, the browser window closes automatically. 

Alternatively -  Go to YouTube and search under attaching Fire stick  Hotel

Easiest to to have a small travel router -  First from phone or Laptop connect and logon to the router using the ip address  -  select the  Wif-Guest -   From you browser yo can now log on normally and the router will stay connected.   Now just link your Firestick to your router.

Using any device you may find you are locked out since you are out of the U.S.  You can get around this by having a VPN account.   The advantage of Firestick over Roku is Fire Stick has VPN apps and you can use it to spoof that your are outside of the U.S.

Good Luck and remember -  Google and YouTube can be your best friend.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Now back to the OP's Question.     You should search as I've posted often on this topic and most of my live posts I've done a tutorial.

Task 1 -   Attach your device and switch to HDMI Channel -

While I'm using Roku everything also works on Fire Stick

A quick Google will always answer most of your questions --

Fire TV Stick do not have a dedicated web browser, but they do have a hidden app (CaptivePortalLauncher) that will open a web page to access a captive portal. This app will open a browser window only during Wi-Fi sign in.

1. From the Home screen, select Settings > System > Wi-Fi.
  2. Under Available Networks, select the public Wi-Fi network. For networks that require a web page to log in, a browser window will pop up after several seconds.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to use your Amazon remote to select text fields or enter cursor mode to select a button. An on-screen keyboard will open for text fields.
  4. Enter in the required information. This could be a pre shared password, room number, or just a button to accept conditions for using the network. Contact the network owner for more information
  5. After your device connects to the network, the browser window closes automatically. 

Alternatively -  Go to YouTube and search under attaching Fire stick  Hotel

Easiest to to have a small travel router -  First from phone or Laptop connect and logon to the router using the ip address  -  select the  Wif-Guest -   From you browser yo can now log on normally and the router will stay connected.   Now just link your Firestick to your router.

Using any device you may find you are locked out since you are out of the U.S.  You can get around this by having a VPN account.   The advantage of Firestick over Roku is Fire Stick has VPN apps and you can use it to spoof that your are outside of the U.S.

Good Luck and remember -  Google and YouTube can be your best friend.

Jim, thank your.  Your video is what allowed me to set the input and get as far as I did.   I will spend some time researching and trying what you are suggesting.  I need to Google it and gain a better understanding.  I think my previous research was not asking the right question.

Much appreciated.

I learned everything I know by searching on YouTube.  Maybe living less than 3 miles from Google and Apple help ..LOL.    Many hotels use a similar log on screen as Celebrity.

One thing i found is that Roku now has the ability to press a button and you get a URL that will allow you to logon and is links you to the web page.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...