Removing Onboard Daily Gratuity

PWP-001

Does RCI allow guests to remove onboard gratuities? 

I've watched a guest request and complete a form to do so on Princess several years ago, and I know it's an option on NCL, but I'm not sure about RCI.

From what I've heard, if you remove the automatic gratuties, any amount you give in cash is put into the tip pool and shared among all who are in that pool.  If however, you keep the automatic gratuities in place, any cash you give over that amount is allowed to be kept by the individual who to whom you give it.  

5 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I answered the Op's ? in post #2 but here we go again

Thank you, molly361.

You answered my question.  It was a simple YES or NO answer, which you delivered.

I am NOT seeking any other advice or commentary.

So please, move on, nothing else to see here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

It depends on the line.  It is free on Royal but Carnival passengers will have to pay for the 2nd and every  subsequent bag.

It's not free on Anthem.  Yes, I know you're feeding off the rumor thread, but in case others actually take your word for it. 

42 minutes ago, beckyboo1986 said:

I've heard you can. I was wondering whether to do this on my next cruise and tip people directly.

I'd love to know how tips are shared out. 

I might keep 50% on and then tip on top.

Removing tips serves zero purpose.  When you tip at a restaurant do you know how much is GIVEN to each person, such as bus boy etc?  

The traditional, and customary issues on a ship, involving how money is handled, the expectation of how much you get tipped, how each cruise line handles those so called cash tippers, etc are not the business of the cruise passenger.  Even in early days, the cruise line gave the recommended amount to tip, and those front line people than were somehow responsible to tip back wards, you know, those that help them to make your trip special.  It is a onboard culture not to be concerned with.

57 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

From what I've heard, if you remove the automatic gratuties, any amount you give in cash is put into the tip pool and shared among all who are in that pool.  If however, you keep the automatic gratuities in place, any cash you give over that amount is allowed to be kept by the individual who to whom you give it.  

I love how you think those who get cash are going to admit receiving the tip and put it in a pool to share with others. Lol. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

I've watched a guest request and complete a form to do so on Princess several years ago, and I know it's an option on NCL, but I'm not sure about RCI.

Yes just pop down to guest services on day 1. They usually have a staff member going along the queue taking peoples room numbers for those who want to remove the onboard gratuities. Saves having to stand in the queue for ages waiting to get to the desk front. 

I find it interesting that Royal Caribbean no longer tells passengers where the gratuties go.  Back when gratuties were $12.25 per day ($15.95 for suites) they disclosed the distribution as follows:

Dining & Culinary Services: $7.75 USD

Stateroom Attendant: $3.85 USD OR Suite Attendant: $6.10 USD

Other Housekeeping Services: $1.35 USD OR Housekeeping and Suite Services: $2.10 USD

I would like to assume, and it would be an assumption on my part, that the distribution is still very similar but I have not found any way of verifying.  

Just some food for thought as you consider removing onboard gratuities. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

Thank you, molly361.

You answered my question.  It was a simple YES or NO answer, which you delivered.

I am NOT seeking any other advice or commentary.

So please, move on, nothing else to see here.

This hasn't been addressed specifically:  the people that do not provide service to you face-to-face, but work behind the scene, are also included in a share of your auto tips .  So, if you remove the auto tips, then these people will not be paid their share.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

Because it should be up to me to decide to tip and how much based on service level. Not a fan on mandatory tipping. its a contradiction in terms

Well, it's obvious it's not mandatory if you can remove them.  But, it's also wise to note there are some hard working crew members you cannot reach who share in the tips.  You can add a tip (I think) for "kitchen staff", or "cleaning staff", etc., at Guest Services.  I just find it simpler to leave the auto tips and know that everyone whose making my cruise great is being acknowledged.

• Haha 1

Just now, pcur said:

Well, it's obvious it's not mandatory if you can remove them.  But, it's also wise to note there are some hard working crew members you cannot reach who share in the tips.  You can add a tip (I think) for "kitchen staff", or "cleaning staff", etc., at Guest Services.  I just find it simpler to leave the auto tips and know that everyone whose making my cruise great is being acknowledged.

Well, its obvious if I buy a drink package in cruise planner that the gratuity is charged upfront and can not be removed.

Its obvious that when someone orders a drink at a bar, they automatically are charged a tip. A bartender hands me a bottle of beer or water and thats worth a 18% tip? Cant remove that

I acknowledge the crew when I pay my cruise fare

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, pcur said:

People I do not have personal face to face interaction with do not get a tip from me; that is the way the world works.  My cruise fare takes care of them.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, rebeccac said:

Urban myth perpetrated by the company to dissuade you from removing the "salary supplement daily charge"

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

No form required, just phone Guest Services from your stateroom and inform the of your request.

35 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

A bartender hands me a bottle of beer or water and thats worth a 18% tip? Cant remove that

I acknowledge the crew when I pay my cruise fare

How many people had to make sure that bottle was there for the bartender to grab?...  How about the people who have to wash the glassware and dispose of the empty recyclables?

You're focused only on the transaction that you see.  There's always a lot more behind it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

I love how you think those who get cash are going to admit receiving the tip and put it in a pool to share with others. Lol. 

The cruise lines have that figured out. They set an assumed amount that passengers that pay cash tip. An algorithm. So if a guest tips less or less is reported the crew member loses out from the pool. 

• Haha 1