Voyage of the Glacier Northbound or Southbound - Inside Passage?

pmartin32

Hello, does anyone know if the Sapphire Princess, Grand Princess, or Majestic Princess go through the Inside Passage on the Voyage of the Glacier between Vancouver and Anchorage (Wittier) either Northbound or Southbound?  The cruise description on the Princess site just says "At Sea" but the map shows a line going through the Inside Passage with another dotted line going outside the passage.  There is a note for the dotted line that says Royal Class Ship Route.  I'm assuming this means that the Sapphire and Grand would go through the Inside Passage, but the Majestic (which I believe is a Royal Class), would go further out at sea and not through the Passage.  I contacted Princess customer support, but they were not at all helpful.  I've heard the Inside Passage is beautiful so that's one of my deciding criteria on the cruise, so if anyone knows, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

I would look at the itineraries, and also all other factors involved.  Ship.  Time in ports.  etc.

Yes, the inside passage is a real plus.  But, remember, the ship could either be going thru there at supper and dusk on embarkation, or pre-dawn on the return to Vancouver.   And, there will be shortage of absolutely beautiful scenery throughout your cruise.

Have you cruised Alaska before?

I assume that you are looking at these itineraries because of Glacier Bay, which is always a 'must'.

I know that there is one Northbound itinerary, with a long Port day at Juneau, which would allow you to also take the Adventure Bound boat tour up into Tracy Arm Fjord.  So, that would get both of these highlights. 

This has been much discussed, and you will get a lot of thoughts and opinions.  Many love the smaller older ships, many think that this route is a must.  Others might have other opinions and priorities.

If you take a cruise in May through July you will likely have enough daylight to enjoy the inside passage northbound.  But as the days get shorter, it will be too dark after supper, unless you eat really late.  Southbound it will be at night no matter the month…unless you are a very early riser…. EM

3 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

I’m an advocate for northbound and on a Grand/Gem class ship.  Daylight cruising the Inside Passage is likely to be your best weather for shoreline viewing. 

Ditto. In a perfect world I would book on Sapphire Northbound. If leaving from Vancouver it will definitely be an Inside Passage cruise. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Ditto. In a perfect world I would book on Sapphire Northbound. If leaving from Vancouver it will definitely be an Inside Passage cruise. 

It really is the perfect ship for that route.  Stunning space ratio, all the amenities, covered pool for inclement weather.  We sailed her both directions and had one of our best cruises ever. 

To those who have done a Northbound Grand class from Vancouver, if departure is 4:30pm and typical sunset in July is 9:15pm, how far into the inside passage will you get before it's too dark to enjoy?  Also at sunrise are you now completely out of the inside passage, or if I'm making sense have you completely cleared Vancouver Island? Thanks.

4 hours ago, JeffT237 said:

Also at sunrise are you now completely out of the inside passage, or if I'm making sense have you completely cleared Vancouver Island? Thanks.

The answer to this depends on the tides.  There’s  a spot (Seymour Passage) that requires specific tide and current conditions - so the speed out of Vancouver is adjusted to hit these narrows (and the power lines that cross them) at a specific time on target.  This varies from sailing to sailing.   So “maybe” is the best I can give you. 

• Thanks 1

So many variable factors to consider.  Let me add a few more.

Northbound:  Easier to fly in to Vancouver, but more difficult to get a flight out of Anchorage (time).

Southbound:  The past couple of seasons, it "seems" as though there were many more passengers coming on board after a land cruise with Covid.  This may not even matter in the future, or could continue.

I would pick the Sapphire or the Grand ships over any Royal ships.  (personal opinion).  The Sapphire has an even better promenade deck than the Grand.

Alaska has absolutely beautiful scenery.  Best to be out and about as much as you can.  Rain happens. Heat happens.  

Tough call. Northbound you have a long day in Juneau as someone mentioned and can take the Adventure Bound tour to Tracy Arm. I have done this 6-7 times and is my favorite excursion. You do sail the inside passage leaving Vancouver in the dark. Southbound I love the scenery for the first few hours out of Whittier and on the last day the inside passage is mostly daylight. I l love sailing mid June for the longest daylight hours. My preference is a Grand class ship and do a B2B North/Southampton for the best of both.

10 years ago we took the Diamond (sister to Sapphire) north and we loved it!  We stayed at the Pan Pacific prior to the cruise, having the bellman deal with the luggage was such a great perk! We also stayed the night in Anchorage after having a private tour bring us from Whittier to Anchorage.  That solved the terrible flight situation and it was a great day of exploration making our way to ANC.  Tracy Arm in Juneau with AdventureBound is a day I will never forget the rest of my life.  Simply incredible.  We are doing a land tour and sailing south next year and we're looking forward to a different experience.  Safe travels!

• Like 1