Royal Princess Part 1 cabin……..changed my mind about Princess !

Shippy

We are Platinum but have not sailed Princess for a long time. I never thought anything special about them but this cruise has totally changed my mind. We are currently on the Royal I am going to devide my reviews into several categories because I feel that sometimes these threads get off topic otherwise.

First I have to say how lucky were to get our cabin, R609, directly across from the suite concierge lounge. We had a mini suite and successfully bid up for a penthouse.

Outside all the cabin doors is an electronic touchscreen. You can touch a spot for privacy or to have the cabin made up.

EVERY person’s name in the cabin is displayed there. I do not think you can turn that off.

Because you now have a medallion, your door senses that from several feet away and automatically unlocks your door.

There are night lights at the base of some of the furniture that sense movement.

There is no paper or pen but we brought our own.

The bathroom is spectacular because there is the main room with tub, large shower 

and sink and a separate room with the toilet and another sink. There is NO bar soap, only gel.

Thermostat works great.  Although adequate, I was surprised there was not a bigger closet for a suite.

The TV has few channels but lots of free movies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You can ask for a bar (or two) of soap.   They are tiny/thin round things.  You can ask your steward to help you turn off motion detecting lights.  You can request a bowl/basket of fruit.

No, we were told no more bar soap. My husband bought one in port.

We like the night lights. They do not go on unless you get up.

We automatically get a bowl of fruit.

• Like 2

Suites are in an entirely different class of lodging.  Once you book a suite, you have a very hard time going back to smaller cabins.  Even a Club Class Mini Suite isn't nearly what you get with a full suite.  The extra space you get in a suite, and some of the extra perks are very nice.  It does feel like suites don't get quite as many perks as they used to say 5 or 10 years ago, but I guess things change.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shippy said:

No, we were told no more bar soap. My husband bought one in port.

We like the night lights. They do not go on unless you get up.

We automatically get a bowl of fruit.

I was able to add to my soap collection when on the Grand Pacific.  I better cherish the ones I have stashed.  I need them since my soap container is round (takes up less space).  They have gotten smaller and smaller each year.  

3 hours ago, Shippy said:

No, we were told no more bar soap.

Maybe they are running through old inventory but we got plenty of round bars of soap in our Mini-Suite on Regal last month. And not thin single use bars. The same bars that had been provided for years. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I was able to add to my soap collection when on the Grand Pacific.  I better cherish the ones I have stashed.  I need them since my soap container is round (takes up less space).  They have gotten smaller and smaller each year.  

Freudian Slip:  Wishing of Pacific Princess but it should have been Grand Princess (Still a favorite).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shippy said:

EVERY person’s name in the cabin is displayed there. I do not think you can turn that off.

I think, but am not sure, you can ask at the Guest Services desk to have the names eliminated.

9 hours ago, Shippy said:

These were removed as a Covid spreading precaution.

You can ask at Guest services or your cabin steward for these items.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 4:16 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

You can ask for a bar (or two) of soap.   They are tiny/thin round things.  You can ask your steward to help you turn off motion detecting lights.  You can request a bowl/basket of fruit.

Not on the Sky Princess. Zero bar soap. Not even in the shops. When I was on the Sky in January 2020, I wound up having to buy soap in port. There was none on the ship. I bought a bunch of travel Dove soap and now bring that for “just in case.” 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pam in CA said:

Not on the Sky Princess. Zero bar soap. Not even in the shops. When I was on the Sky in January 2020, I wound up having to buy soap in port. There was none on the ship. I bought a bunch of travel Dove soap and now bring that for “just in case.” 

Good to see you checking in again.  Missed your comments.

I can't believe they don't have soap.  Wow...

On 11/10/2022 at 2:46 PM, Shippy said:

We are Platinum but have not sailed Princess for a long time. I never thought anything special about them but this cruise has totally changed my mind. We are currently on the Royal I am going to devide my reviews into several categories because I feel that sometimes these threads get off topic otherwise.

First I have to say how lucky were to get our cabin, R609, directly across from the suite concierge lounge. We had a mini suite and successfully bid up for a penthouse.

Outside all the cabin doors is an electronic touchscreen. You can touch a spot for privacy or to have the cabin made up.

Because you now have a medallion, your door senses that from several feet away and automatically unlocks your door.

There are night lights at the base of some of the furniture that sense movement.

The bathroom is spectacular because there is the main room with tub, large shower 

and sink and a separate room with the toilet and another sink. There is NO bar soap, only gel.

Thermostat works great.  Although adequate, I was surprised there was not a bigger closet for a suite.

The TV has few channels but lots of free movies.

Any stateroom photos appreciated. I’ll be on the Royal in a few weeks. 

Thanks!

Tom😀

• Like 1

Good to hear you had a great experience.  We were on a Princess cruise a month or so ago (British Isles) and the changes since we last cruised (2019) were noticeable.  You mentioned the motion detectors which for the most part were great.  My one objection was when you go to the bathroom in the middle of the night (which I tend to do often...) that hallway light comes on - and lights up the entire cabin.  The motion detectors at the base of the end tables were good - I put an extra pillow over mine so it wouldn't come on all the time when I got up - the hallway light was enough to get me back to the bed.  No bar soap.  We enjoyed the Medallion opening the door (our cabin was private and off to the side (aft corner) and you could hear the door click open when we turned the corner.  It was also nice to be able to walk up to a bar on the way to the cabin for the night, order two double Baileys to go, and have them just hand them to you since the Medallion picked us up when we got to the bar.  More pluses than minuses for us - and we'll be back on board next month 🙂

I find the bar soap thing to be a bit humorous.  Many years ago Mrs. XBGuy started packing a plastic jar of liquid soap prior to every cruise.  She prefers it to the bars.

I keep insisting that the great thing about cruising is that everybody gets to customize their experience.

• Like 3