40% - 70% Rain

My cruise leaves this week and the forecast is also showing rain everyday. When I cruised in April it practically rained all day on the cococay port day so we didn't get to enjoy it all. I too am hoping the forecasts is wrong and there is some sunshine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I do feel for you. We are UK and as we have to fly over and its expensive only tend to cruise the carribean dec-early march. Just a better CHANCE of the weather being good. I know there is no guarantee but its still a good shot. 

I would hate to pay all that money and for it just to rain all the time. 

That's a big factor to have to mentally get over when the weather turns out bad for a trip you book specifically to enjoy sunny warm weather. I don't have to fly as far as you, but it's still a pretty long flight (and mostly it was expensive at $700/person for us because it's a big holiday travel week here in the US). 

I knew when I booked this trip that it was at the end of hurricane season and that the weather might not be as good as I'm used to (I typically cruise in the summer) but it was the only week I knew my daughter would have a school break where she wasn't also obligated to some other activity or internship. 

Now I have to hope that the snow that's forecast here doesn't affect my flight out to Florida. It sure would be nice to leave the cold weather and go somewhere warm, but I guess rain is still warmer than snow.

12 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I packed a poncho and a swimsuit, which can both get wet 😂

Just don't pack any Denim - Denim is an old native word that translates as "this s&^t never dries"😇

BTW, there is a 100% chance that it will rain somewhere in the tropics every day. Ships can steer around most storms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

That's a big factor to have to mentally get over when the weather turns out bad for a trip you book specifically to enjoy sunny warm weather. I don't have to fly as far as you, but it's still a pretty long flight (and mostly it was expensive at $700/person for us because it's a big holiday travel week here in the US). 

I knew when I booked this trip that it was at the end of hurricane season and that the weather might not be as good as I'm used to (I typically cruise in the summer) but it was the only week I knew my daughter would have a school break where she wasn't also obligated to some other activity or internship. 

Now I have to hope that the snow that's forecast here doesn't affect my flight out to Florida. It sure would be nice to leave the cold weather and go somewhere warm, but I guess rain is still warmer than snow

Yeah i totally agree with you. Fingers crossed you have a great holiday and the weather is nice and warm. 

• Like 1

Just because it is forecast to rain every day does not necessarily mean it will rain nonstop all day. You will be in somewhat of a tropical/subtropical climate, so rain is a frequent part of the day, and the temperatures will be in the 80's. 

I was at CocoCay a few years ago and rented a beach bed--first it was hot and sunny, then it poured down rain (some people ran back to the ship), then it was hot and sunny again, all within a few hours.

We stayed and had a great day.

I have also been in Nassau when it rained all day, and I just walked around all the shops.  

I have also done a transatlantic crossing, and the weather can be cool and rainy the whole week, and there are NO ports until the end, do basically the ship is the entertainment.

As others have stated, just being on the cruise will be fun, no matter the weather!

Have a great time!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

But as we age don't we gain Wisdom? 🤔 

Frig Wisdom, I want my 30 year old dumb *ss self back! 

I wasn’t a dumb **s in my 30s.  It was the perfect balance of youth and enough life wisdom.  Sure I did some dumb things in retrospect, but I still do now and I see 70 years old do incredibly dumb things everyday (as I live in Florida and have to drive in parking lots around a lot of them).  30 and 40s are a great youth vs wisdom balance.  

16 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Yes you were. 😉

In my early to mid 20s?  Absolutely.  In my 30s.  Not even close.  Like I said.  It was the perfect balance between youth and wisdom.  Looking back at that decade of my life there isn’t one mistake of any significance I can begin to think of (other than I wish I had invested more aggressively during market crashes).  Those are hardly mistakes and only the rear view mirror knows for sure in those situations.  

Perhaps being the youngest sibling allowed me to learn a lot more via their mistakes.  But honestly I think most people in their 30s are relatively wise relative to what you’re thinking.  It’s a lot of the 20 somethings that really do dumb things.  Either way, 30 something was great age looking back at it all.  

Guest TopoChico
On 11/13/2022 at 12:08 PM, DirtyDawg said:

It's November in the Caribbean, its going to rain. Just pack an umbrella and a rain poncho.

As Henry Wadsworth Longfellow said; "Into each cruise some rain must fall." 😁

November is generally very dry.  We’ve been going for 15 years over Thanksgiving week and I can count on one hand the amount of times it rained. 

2 hours ago, TopoChico said:

November is generally very dry.  We’ve been going for 15 years over Thanksgiving week and I can count on one hand the amount of times it rained. 

Well, don't tell me. Tell the OP. They are the one who is worried about rain! 

Hey @ARandomTraveler TopChico says it won't rain. You're good to go!

😁

• Haha 1

40% to 70% chance of rain in the Caribbean equates to a 5 minute rain shower 4 to 7 times a week.

I welcome rain in the Caribbean:  it cools things off.  If it's windy, too, then that's a problem.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

I just got off independence of the seas, it was forecasted to rain and storm everyday, but it didn't rain one drop, it was 80 degrees and sunny. It has rained every cruise I've been on in the Bahamas but this time the weather forecast was wrong! So OP don't worry about the weather too much

6 hours ago, Tntt said:

I just got off independence of the seas, it was forecasted to rain and storm everyday, but it didn't rain one drop, it was 80 degrees and sunny. It has rained every cruise I've been on in the Bahamas but this time the weather forecast was wrong! So OP don't worry about the weather too much

So far so good! We stopped in Costa Maya today. The weather app has shown an 80% chance of rain for the past week. This morning when we docked it updated to 90%. It didn't rain at all. It was nice and warm, but it was overcast. Sat on the beach all day and barely got a tan.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 8:05 PM, ARandomTraveler said:

So far so good! We stopped in Costa Maya today. The weather app has shown an 80% chance of rain for the past week. This morning when we docked it updated to 90%. It didn't rain at all. It was nice and warm, but it was overcast. Sat on the beach all day and barely got a tan.

I'm happy to report that we're currently on day 6, having made it to Costa Maya, Roatan and Cozumel so far with nothing but sunshine and good weather. Zero rain except one night on the ship around 9pm for less than an hour, which I didn't even notice until I went to the aqua theater and the boardwalk was wet. 

Currently lounging in the solarium on a sea day, 84 degrees and sunny. Perfect. 

• Like 1

In 2004 my Honeymoon cruise was an 11 nighter on the Norwegian Dawn from NYC to the Eastern Caribbean.  I called it the Charlie Brown Cruise.  It didn't rain everywhere but there was a rain cloud that followed us to each and every port and on the way home we had 30' seas.  So much fun.

Edited by E&D2004
  • Haha 2