Laundry Question

rollie

We have used the complementary laundry.  I would fix the laundry before going to bed or before we left for breakfast. Our cabin steward would turn in our laundry. Many time laundry was returned late afternoon or early evening. items were folded or on a hanger. If we were not in the cabin, folded laundry was placed on the bed and hanging items were in the closet.

One of the perks we really used. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MSEm said:

We have used the complementary laundry.  I would fix the laundry before going to bed or before we left for breakfast. Our cabin steward would turn in our laundry. Many time laundry was returned late afternoon or early evening. items were folded or on a hanger. If we were not in the cabin, folded laundry was placed on the bed and hanging items were in the closet.

One of the perks we really used. 

Same for us; very quick turnaround time. When we returned home, I felt very put upon to have to do my own  laundry! Very easy to get spoiled on a Viking cruise!

For us Newbies, don't think we get complementary laundry.

We're spending a few days before & a few days after our 7 night ocean cruise, so are there self service washer & dryer machines, or laundry rooms, that us peons can use?

Would like to do a washing halfway thru the cruise.

Also, need to bring our own detergents, or they have that avail for purchase onboard?

Thanks,

15 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

We're spending a few days before & a few days after our 7 night ocean cruise, so are there self service washer & dryer machines, or laundry rooms, that us peons can use?

Also, need to bring our own detergents, or they have that avail for purchase onboard?

Thanks,

Free self-service laundry facilities are available on decks 3-6. Detergent is included. Each laundry also has an ironing board and iron.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Thanks,

Complimentary laundry is based on room booked, not number of cruises, Viking don't have a tiered loyalty scheme. The laundry rooms are in the middle of the main accommodation decks and are free to use, including detergents. The ships laundry isn't hugely expensive by hotel standards

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MSEm said:

If you are using the self serve laundry, bring fabric softener dryer sheets to place in dryer.  The dryer sheets really help to reduce the wrinkles.

Although some on these boards have requested you not do this as some are allergic to the chemicals used in the sheets which remain in the dryer after your clothes are removed. 

I also think Viking’s directions requested they not be used. 

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

We booked a Penthouse Junior Suite for our Alaskan cruise earlier this year and it included laundry. We used it a LOT and it was great. The first couple of packets we sent out came back immediately and with no issues, so it lured us into complacency. We did have a couple of issues later in the cruise, presumably because so many other people were sending things down there at that point.

A few tips:

- Always keep your "receipts," and it is nice to keep them in the same place and let the room steward know where they are too. If there is an issue they can sometimes solve it without involving you by checking the original copy of the receipt.

- If you are wondering about how to describe an item them you should use more than one word ... the laundry folks are probably not native speakers of your language, and more than once they were confused about the words we used to describe things. That was on us. By the end of the cruise we simply asked our room steward what she would call something and then used that word. The most confusing item was a "buff" - one of those long, circular neck things that we found INVALUABLE for Alaska as they can easily convert from a neck warmer to ear cover to hair tie to many other uses. We described this as a "scarf" and the laundry described it as a "bra" and chaos followed!

- If you want to wear something to dinner on a specific night, send it out for pressing at LEAST one day before, preferably two.

Overall it is a great perk and we loved it, but we learned a lot for our next cruise!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/16/2022 at 5:09 PM, Clay Clayton said:

Although some on these boards have requested you not do this as some are allergic to the chemicals used in the sheets which remain in the dryer after your clothes are removed. 

I also think Viking’s directions requested they not be used. 

I would assume those with an allergy to dryer sheets would not use the dryers, as there’s no way to be sure a sheet was not used recently.

28 minutes ago, M.Travels said:

- If you are wondering about The most confusing item was a "buff" - one of those long, circular neck things that we found INVALUABLE for Alaska as they can easily convert from a neck warmer to ear cover to hair tie to many other uses. We described this as a "scarf" and the laundry described it as a "bra" and chaos followed!

We call the warm neck/ear thing a 'snood'. This could get entertaining. I will report back after the cruise 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...

On 12/11/2022 at 6:42 PM, M.Travels said:

Oh yes please do! 🙂

Turns out our 'snoods' were 'topless hats' 😁

Thought occurs, in the 1980s there was a fashion for boob tubes, which resembled an oversize neck warming item, could this be where the calling it a bra confusion originated? 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, KBs mum said:

Turns out our 'snoods' were 'topless hats' 😁

Thought occurs, in the 1980s there was a fashion for boob tubes, which resembled an oversize neck warming item, could this be where the calling it a bra confusion originated? 

I think you may be right! I remember those tube tops … what were we thinking??? 🙂 And I did once see someone wearing one of these things as a top while hiking in Utah, so that is probably it. 

• Haha 1