Northbound or Southbound?

kayehall

We have always preferred the North bound. The scenery is just amazing especially the sail out from Vancouver. I would rather sail towards Alaska than away from it.

No problems at the north end for us at all. If we have an early flight we use a private bus company (ACT) if we have a flight that leaves after 2:00pm we take the cruiseline train and this 124 mile narrated trip is amazing !!!

We sail with RCI.

Edited by Ashland

I have always done Southbound but next summer I decided to go Northbound to try something different. We always include at least 2 weeks doing things in the interior and have then always followed it with getting on the cruise and relaxing. I heard how people love watching the scenery get better and better going Northbound so now I’ll see it that way for myself. Then all of our land activities will start after we’ve rested lol.

Taking the Alaska Railroad is always a fun way to get to or from Anchorage to/from the port!

We have done both north and south bound itineraries.  Once we did a B2B with the first leg being the southbound and the second the northbound.  I have absolutely no preference regarding north or southbound.  The deciding factor for me would be port times as periodically they differ depending on direction.  Just don't overthink this issue.

• Like 1

Having a land based tour before or after the cruise of course will change all this.

One thing about northbound cruises is that you may find Glacier Bay being replaced

by Hubbard glacier -or- other port stop combinations - Check your cruise itinerary

for the variations.

Northbound trips out of Seattle for the most part do not go to Anchorage (Seward/Whittier)

and conversely southbound trips skipping Vancouver but port call at Victoria then Seattle.

45 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Check your cruise itinerary

for the variations.

Northbound trips out of Seattle for the most part do not go to Anchorage (Seward/Whittier)

and conversely southbound trips skipping Vancouver but port call at Victoria then Seattle.

A southbound cruise out of Seward or Whittier can ONLY go to Vancouver,  to meet the requirements of the PVSA. It can't go to Seattle. In the same vein, trips from Seattle can NOT end in Seward or Whittier. 

On 11/13/2022 at 9:56 AM, kayehall said:

Is there any benefit between the northbound or southbound sailings from/to Vancouver?  I had my sights on southbound but a friend just recommended a northbound.  I will ask her but wanted some opinions.  Thanks

If all the other ports and times were consistent, I would opt for the Southbound.

Departing Vancouver at 17:00 you miss the scenic Johnstone Strait, which is between the mainland & Vancouver Island, as this area is at night.

Southbound, you transit this area on the last afternoon, then have an early morning sail into Vancouver.

• Like 3

On 11/13/2022 at 9:56 AM, kayehall said:

Is there any benefit between the northbound or southbound sailings from/to Vancouver?

If you’re cruising early or late in the season you should look at what will be open. If considering Denali as well as the cruise, the shuttle buses don’t start operating until May 20. Might make a difference cruising north or south with timing. Also, some tours shut down a bit early in September due to increased rough weather like some of the small boat whale watch operators.

• Like 1