covid test aboard

snag

1 hour ago, snag said:

Hi, does every passenger have to do a test each day to see if they are positive ? So how do they know who is positive and have to isolate?

Nope, no testing.  At this point, unless the cruise is over 16 days, nobody has to test.  

Edited by justafem

1 hour ago, snag said:

Hi, does every passenger have to do a test each day to see if they are positive ? So how do they know who is positive and have to isolate?

I cruised Celebrity in July, some passengers that felt ill,went to medical to take a covid test.   If they were positive they were quarantined in their cabin.

Just wanted to pipe in and say my DH tested positive for COVID this morning, but he tested himself with a rapid kit.
We are now in quarantine on the Emerald. This is day 8 of a 16 day TA.

The ship’s medical staff guy arrived to take his vital signs (all normal, just a cough) but did not test him otherwise.

We showed him the positive rapid test, and that was enough.

We have been told he will be tested by their med team in six days, but we will continue to both self-test each day. We have received an information envelope explaining dining, laundry and smoking on your deck (we don’t) options.

He has not so far been offered any medications for his cough, nor been seen by a doc, but we packed Mucinex and Advil so are well stocked.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, snag said:

Only one cruise line did the test-every-day thing (Viking) and they got rid of that over the summer.  The positive cases on a cruise ship come from three sources:

1) People who report to medical and test positive

2) People who are seen with symptoms and asked to test

3) People who are close to those who have tested positive

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snag said:

The only time I have heard recently of a mandatory test of all passengers on board is on the just concluded Majestic Princess cruise in Australia were Covid cases were increasing rapidly. Otherwise  passengers are expected to either self-test (and report) or be tested by medical services when feeling ill thus leaving a gap (the asymptomatic) in the identification process.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I've encountered that since I began cruising many years ago, well before Covid.  I just get up and move to get away from them. It would be tougher to do on public transportation, but I've never had to do it there.  

Couldn’t move, unless we left,  there were no other seats available.

5 hours ago, LidoLiz said:

Just wanted to pipe in and say my DH tested positive for COVID this morning, but he tested himself with a rapid kit.

The ship’s medical staff guy arrived to take his vital signs (all normal, just a cough) but did not test him otherwise.

We have been told he will be tested by their med team in six days, but we will continue to both self-test each day. We have received an information envelope explaining dining, laundry and smoking on your deck (we don’t) options.

He has not so far been offered any medications for his cough, nor been seen by a doc, but we packed Mucinex and Advil so are well stocked.

Are they testing you, because you’re in the same cabin?  What are they allowing for dining? Specialty restaurants and wine, complimentary?  
I know some ships have done this previously, not sure if they do now?

TIA

33 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Are they testing you, because you’re in the same cabin?  What are they allowing for dining? Specialty restaurants and wine, complimentary?  
I know some ships have done this previously, not sure if they do now?

TIA

On our Celebrity cruise the other member was tested and if negative given a choice of moving to another cabin or quarantine.   Have never heard of specialty restaurants being offered.  Liquor, movies and internet yes.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LidoLiz said:

I have another question…

since you are exposed and in the same cabin as DH….do they allow you out of the cabin?  Wearing a mask, of course.

Seems protocols may be changing?

43 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I have another question…

since you are exposed and in the same cabin as DH….do they allow you out of the cabin?  Wearing a mask, of course.

Hard to say in Australia as their rules are both different and changing.  If on a cruise from the US one usually has the choice as said above if negative with a positive cabin mate to move and mask or quarantine. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2022 at 12:11 PM, PacnGoNow said:

I have another question…

From what I've seen, if the uninfected roommate choses to stay for quarantine, they are there for the duration, no in-out privileges.  And if the infected in moved to another room, the uninfected stays in the original room, with a test being taken every day and are allowed free range of the ship. 

I've been on several cruises where cruise buddies have been in this scenario. 

Hope that helped you.   

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, justafem said:

From what I've seen, if the uninfected roommate choses to stay for quarantine, they are there for the duration, no in-out privileges.

Reading the Coral Princess Round Australia thread, that was not the case. 

Some of the comments (starting around post #200):

Infected passengers remained in their cabins (no quarantine area).  Cabin mates - when fully masked - were allowed to leave to pick up food and drink.  They also allowed room service off the MDR menu.  They gave antivirals for those who qualified.  Roommates had to be tested every day.  Covid testing and medicines free of charge.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

Reading the Coral Princess Round Australia thread, that was not the case. 

Some of the comments (starting around post #200):

Infected passengers remained in their cabins (no quarantine area).  Cabin mates - when fully masked - were allowed to leave to pick up food and drink.  They also allowed room service off the MDR menu.  They gave antivirals for those who qualified.  Roommates had to be tested every day.  Covid testing and medicines free of charge.

It’s amazing how the protocols differ between ships and countries. 

Or, is it Medical on each ship that differs?

IDK

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

IDK

IDK either but I'm following the Coral Princess closely because we will be on that same 28 day cruise in April after a week in Sydney and a week in New Zealand. 

Well I can tell you all our experience in real time.  I started with a sore throat this past Saturday while on the Regal Princess on a Med and TA cruise.  I tested myself on Sunday morning (-) but also alerted medical.  They came up and tested both my self and my husband ….both negative.  On Tuesday I really wasn’t feeling well so I did a test myself which was positive.  Medical came and tested both of us….I was + and dh was -.  I was moved to a quarantine cabin almost immediately.  I have heard nothing further from Medical about anything!  My husband was only told (in passing) that he would need to be retested.

It has been very frustrating as when I arrived in the cabin I was just told to call to order food (no menus and not even a bottle of water in the cabin) and call housekeeping for clean towels.  That has been the extent of Princesses communication with me.  I would have thought there would have been some kind of handout about what to expect.  So far, very underwhelmed with how they are handling this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Jilliebean28 said:

Well I can tell you all our experience in real time.  I started with a sore throat this past Saturday while on the Regal Princess on a Med and TA cruise.  I tested myself on Sunday morning (-) but also alerted medical.  They came up and tested both my self and my husband ….both negative.  On Tuesday I really wasn’t feeling well so I did a test myself which was positive.  Medical came and tested both of us….I was + and dh was -.  I was moved to a quarantine cabin almost immediately.  I have heard nothing further from Medical about anything!  My husband was only told (in passing) that he would need to be retested.

It has been very frustrating as when I arrived in the cabin I was just told to call to order food (no menus and not even a bottle of water in the cabin) and call housekeeping for clean towels.  That has been the extent of Princesses communication with me.  I would have thought there would have been some kind of handout about what to expect.  So far, very underwhelmed with how they are handling this.

Call room service, as they should be notified by medical and guest services that you are quarantined.  You should be able to order off the TV or phone App for meals.  Ask RS, since you’re quarantined, what you can order, free of charge.

Tell housekeeping what you need every day as far as linens, tpaper, soap, tissues, etc.

The Medical dept sends an email to RS, so they know. Takes a day and a reminder when you call RS for you to get on the quarantined list for meal service.

Some ships no longer have a form letter for the protocols.  IDK why.

If you need Medical, GS should give you the direct line for them.

When you are finished with your quarantine, ask medical for a medical report to take home, in case you need it for your insurance or Dr at home.

Good luck and let us know how you’re doing.

Edited by PacnGoNow

2 hours ago, Jilliebean28 said:

Don’t spend hours on hold with Room Service. Call Guest Services and ask them to take your order. Order whatever you want from the dining room menus (you can find them in the Medallion App), or specialty restaurants. And buckle in for a long ride. Quarantine can take up to ten days. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Don’t spend hours on hold with Room Service. Call Guest Services and ask them to take your order. Order whatever you want from the dining room menus (you can find them in the Medallion App), or specialty restaurants. And buckle in for a long ride. Quarantine can take up to ten days. 

I hope she doesn’t wait on hold that long!

Depends on the ship and how many cases.

4 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

IDK

The medical protocols are different on cruises out of Australia- their rules - from cruises that originate pretty much every other country.  Ditto for China.

All I'll say is we'll have the new booster & will bring N-95 masks as a precaution. We like the abundance of caution on our Jan. cruise on Oceania. You tested at the pier & boarded when told. The mask policy did not bother us. What did, were the pax who refused to follow the protocols at the time. You got 3 warnings & were put ashore if you failed to follow the protocols.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1