Alcohol in pools?

drevil0208

Just wondering, are you allowed to bring alcoholic beverages into the pool with you?

When I sailed on NCL a few months ago they had this rule, which I thought was ridiculous. 

I’m pretty sure every other cruise I have done prior to that (including NCL), did not have that rule. 

Yes, but no glass.  If getting drinks from pool bar they are mostly plastic glasses.  If your a beer drinker they serve glass bottles, you'll need to ask for a cup and they will gladly give you one to pour your glass bottle into..

1 hour ago, drevil0208 said:

Just wondering, are you allowed to bring alcoholic beverages into the pool with you?

When I sailed on NCL a few months ago they had this rule, which I thought was ridiculous. 

I’m pretty sure every other cruise I have done prior to that (including NCL), did not have that rule. 

Not a problem getting alcohol in the pools.  I spend a lot of time in the pool and I've never had a problem getting a drink. Bottoms Up!

• Like 1

I remember some cruise vLoggers last year being told they could not bring drinks into the pool unless they were in a closed tumbler. They stated they had never run into this on other Celebrity cruises so it seemed pretty isolated to that ship’s staff at the time. 

9 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Seems like it depends on the ship. Never any glass allowed but we were on last summer and they were fairly strict about no drinks in the pool. Maybe it helps keep the beer chuggers from drinking a case without ever getting out of the pool 🤢

🤔 So what's the problem?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This is why I'm glad not to set a toe in a pool or hot tub on a ship.  Have a pool and hot tub at home so the novelty of sharing my space with strangers who drink and dont leave the pool and hot tub all day is just not something I'd like to experience.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jean87510 said:

This is why I'm glad not to set a toe in a pool or hot tub on a ship.  Have a pool and hot tub at home so the novelty of sharing my space with strangers who drink and dont leave the pool and hot tub all day is just not something I'd like to experience.  

I have honestly never seen anyone not leave the pool all day…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I have honestly never seen anyone not leave the pool all day…

Oh I sent hourly snapchats of a group on Edge that huddled in the corner of the pool starting around 10am and were still sitting in the same spot at 4:30pm when I left for the day. Never once left. This occurred on at least 2 days. Day 3 I think they ate lunch instead of drank it. They temporarily got out of the water, but then quickly returned to their urinal area.

Edited by Jeremiah1212

24 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Next cruise you go on, watch the movement or lack of around the pool area especially the hot tubs.  You will be enlightened.

It's only a concern if the hot tub gets a bit warmer 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

We bought a hot tub because of sailing.    We no longer step into any pool or hot tub on the ship.   It isn’t just those that drink and don’t get out but I am not too keen on some of the personal hygiene of the passengers.   I see many walking out of the lavatories that were in a stall and not washing their hands.   Wonder what else they didn’t clean off?   😱💩

Edited by miched
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, miched said:

We bought a hot tub because of sailing.    We no longer step into any pool or hot tub on the ship.   It isn’t just those that drink and don’t get out but I am not too keen on some of the personal hygiene of the passengers.   I see many walking out of the lavatories that were in a stall and not washing their hands.   Wonder what else they didn’t clean off?   😱💩

I agree that hot tubs can be a problem.  I hate it when people don't shower and clean off the sunscreen before getting into the hot tub.

Alcohol allowed for sure (assume OP wanted this but was not clear).

Not sure about glass though. One very poor experience was a few years ago on Reflection. I actually cut my foot on a piece of glass in the pool and retrieved it (the shard of glass not my foot). I sat on a chair and asked a pool attendant for some help (maybe a few towels and bandage) and he promptly disappeared. I waved down another person and he suggested that I go to the medical facility.... really, walk down 15 levels with a bleeding foot. At this point I self medicated with some napkins and tape my wife scavenged from buffet.   I was quite upset with the response, complained at customer service desk later and when I questioned why glass would be allowed in pool I was told by several people that customers 'liked it' and that broken glass was not all that unusual in pool.

It was a small cut and all I wanted was a little attention and got more frustrated when all I received was shrugged shoulders. We just got off the Enchanted Princess and glass beer bottles were delivered while I sat in hot tub.

i was actually surprised to see beer carts in the pool area with glass bottles on our Silhouette cruise a couple weeks ago.  They actually handed me one in the bottle while i was in the hot tub which in hindsight, probably wasn't the best idea because it wasn't my first...  Luckily i didnt drop it.

On one of our cruises on an Oasis class RCCL cruise, we saw them close one of the two side by side pools to drain and refill it (not sure why, and it was probably best that we didn't know why).  We were sitting in a chair on the suite deck which was above and overlooking the two pools.  As they refilled the one they drained, the color difference between the two pools was significant...the one the refilled looked clean and clear....the one they didn't had a very murky look in comparison. 

I haven't been in a cruise ship pool since.  🚿

1 hour ago, chisoxfan said:

Alcohol allowed for sure (assume OP wanted this but was not clear).

Not sure about glass though. One very poor experience was a few years ago on Reflection. I actually cut my foot on a piece of glass in the pool and retrieved it (the shard of glass not my foot). I sat on a chair and asked a pool attendant for some help (maybe a few towels and bandage) and he promptly disappeared. I waved down another person and he suggested that I go to the medical facility.... really, walk down 15 levels with a bleeding foot. At this point I self medicated with some napkins and tape my wife scavenged from buffet.   I was quite upset with the response, complained at customer service desk later and when I questioned why glass would be allowed in pool I was told by several people that customers 'liked it' and that broken glass was not all that unusual in pool.

It was a small cut and all I wanted was a little attention and got more frustrated when all I received was shrugged shoulders. We just got off the Enchanted Princess and glass beer bottles were delivered while I sat in hot tub.

There has never been any glass allowed in the pools.  Very clear and really hard to enforce as hard to tell glass and plastic sometimes. 

Insane delivering glass bottles to the hot tub.  That is #1 stupid and #2 violates on board safety regulations.   Should say something to guest relations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisinShips said:

On one of our cruises on an Oasis class RCCL cruise, we saw them close one of the two side by side pools to drain and refill it (not sure why, and it was probably best that we didn't know why).  We were sitting in a chair on the suite deck which was above and overlooking the two pools.  As they refilled the one they drained, the color difference between the two pools was significant...the one the refilled looked clean and clear....the one they didn't had a very murky look in comparison. 

I haven't been in a cruise ship pool since.  🚿

The biggest issue with the cloudy water as the day goes on is sunscreen...by far.