My family isn't any help !!!

bnukem

On 11/14/2022 at 10:02 PM, klfrodo said:

It’s not about the drive time. It’s all about the time spent with the young lady who will fly the coop in just 3 to 4 years.

Take the newer/bigger ship with more road time for the family. Even if she just sleeps the whole way. That means she comfortable and feels safe.

8 hours of more road time is better for the family than 8 hours of more vacation time? 

On 11/14/2022 at 10:17 PM, IntrepidFromDC said:

Choose anytime dining so you can eat better-than-MDR food in restaurants the people who chose set time dining cannot for FREE.

Just to clarify on this, they CAN. They just can't until after like 7:30 or 8pm.

• Thanks 1

We have done Glory with our teens but now that we have done Horizon we will not be going back to the smaller/older ships.  We are driving to Port Canaveral in April and will be driving right past 2 other ports on the way down.  Glory was fine from Miami with 4 ports and only 2 sea days but if 3 sea days, we would get bored.

On 11/15/2022 at 7:37 AM, Drazil65 said:

Can you split the drive in half (or maybe a few hrs at least) and leave 2 days early (leave the afternoon of the first day to get a jump on the drive)?  

We drive from NC and always break up the drive.  Drive 6-7 Stop just past Jacksonville.  We have even driven to Miami and the Keys that way as well.  It makes sense when flights are too expensive and you have more than 2 people.

On 11/15/2022 at 5:03 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

I didn't realize the MG had TWO small comedy club locations (I'm assuming one of them is not the main theater).  That's one way to reduce the infamous lines.  I wonder if they ever have two comedians at the same time in different locations.  

P.S.  I was just on a cruise (not on Carnival) that had ONE comedian and TWO shows for the whole week.  It made me think of how Carnival (at least as long as I've done business with them) have had multiple comedians with multiple shows on all their sailings.  One time I counted over 20 shows on a single sailing!

The MG actually has three different comedy locations.  One is located behind the Alchemy Bar on deck 7 and is where the family shows are done.  The adult shows are on deck 6 around the corner from the Piano Bar.  The third is the late night 1130 pm shows in the big theater multiple nights per week.  The MG had about 40 shows over the course of the week.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

The MG actually has three different comedy locations.  One is located behind the Alchemy Bar on deck 7 and is where the family shows are done.  The adult shows are on deck 6 around the corner from the Piano Bar.  The third is the late night 1130 pm shows in the big theater multiple nights per week.  The MG had about 40 shows over the course of the week.

Thanks. 40 comedy shows in a week sounds insane to me!

7 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Are you implying there are comedians on Carnival that you thought were actually funny (without being drunk)?  I can't take many more jokes about the toilets on cruise ships.

I'm not that poster, but:

We've been to the Comedy Clubs a few times, and they've been funny every time, to varying degrees.  My BAC is usually non-zero all day long while cruising, so I can't say if that helped or not.  The PG shows are often funnier because the comic has to not depend on cursing as part of the gag, so they have to be a bit more clever.

I don't actually recall any jokes about the toilets, tbh.    ¯\_()_/¯

7 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Are you implying there are comedians on Carnival that you thought were actually funny (without being drunk)?  I can't take many more jokes about the toilets on cruise ships.

Have enjoyed the majority of the comedians I've seen on Carnival over the 35+ years I have been cruising with them.  There is the occasional clunker, but luckily far and few between.  

Since the comedy shows usually have long wait lines the fact that there were so many options on the Excel Class was a good thing for those cruisers that appreciate comedy.  And three different venues helped as well.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 7:09 PM, bnukem said:

Trying to decide between the Mardi Gras and the Glory.  It will be me, my husband and 14 yr old daughter.  I realize that the Mardi Gras is a bigger ship with more things to offer, but is is worth an extra 4 hours on the drive each way?

If it were my decision alone I'd say drive the extra. After sailing an older ship I found the entertainment lacking. I've not been on Glory but I bet the entertainment would be better on Mardi Gras. I also do agree that nobody really can answer this for you. All of us have different priorities. Also, I have 2 kids and if they aren't happy... if they're bored and whiny then Mama's also unhappy... lol.

Edited by oyme

Carnival comedians in my opinion have far surpassed the comedians I've seen on NCL and Princess. Is it as good as some of the well known comedians you'd pay to see on land? Maybe not but I mean neither are the dance shows or other entertainment but for being included I agree with Susan that the comedy is good. 

I also don't remember any jokes about toilets, unless you mean like adult potty humor or that you think it's raunchy/trashy. That'd be a matter of opinion because my husband and I do enjoy adult themed humor.

Edited by oyme
  • Like 1