New Year’s Eve on Viking

PatriciaF

Although it will depend on the ship we have been on two cruises that included NYE.  Both included a festive "party" in the Living Room complete with balloon drop (in the interest of transparency this is what I have heard reported and seen pictures of ... for the last 20 years, the only thing I have actually seen when the new year arrives is the inside of my eyelids).  On one of the cruises there was a lovely brunch buffet in the Wintergarten/Pool/Pool Grill area ... it was huge.  I don't remember anything on the other cruise ... but may well have missed something along the way ... there was a port that day and we spent most of the day in Naples.

Edited by molymoo
error
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, molymoo said:

Although it will depend on the ship we have been on two cruises that included NYE.  Both included a festive "party" in the Living Room complete with balloon drop (in the interest of transparency this is what I have heard reported and seen pictures of ... for the last 20 years, the only thing I have actually seen when the new year arrives is the inside of my eyelids).  On one of the cruises there was a lovely brunch buffet in the Wintergarten/Pool/Pool Grill area ... it was huge.  I don't remember anything on the other cruise ... but may well have missed something along the way ... there was a port that day and we spent most of the day in Naples.

Our last two NYEs on Viking the party has been on the pool deck. Pre-Covid (with a full complete of pax), it was actually in two places --live in the Living Room and simulcast to the Pool/Wintergarden. Post Covid (with under 400 pax) it was just around the Pool/Winter Garden. The next day, there was a huge brunch buffet; Pre was around the Pool and Wintergarden while Post was in the World Cafe.

Pre Covid we were on Orion NYE in New Zealand. We were in port in Auckland, and kind of expected to see some fireworks or something, but there wasn't anything notable. On board they had some festivities after dinner, but I'd say for that cruise, things were pretty low key, which was fine with us. We danced a bit, then headed to bed. 

Last year we were on Viking Venus over Christmas/New Year.  Covid restrictions were in place, but there was a lively deck party on NYE, which spilled over into the Wintergarten.  We'd walked through the deck area during the evening, but decided to stay away, apart from 5 minutes as they did the countdown.  

I cant remember anything particularly special about New Years Day, but we really didn't mix much, so things may have been happening!

We were on Viking Sea (Amazon cruise San Juan to San Juan) welcoming 2020. We were docked in Manaus, Brazil on New Years Eve. Viking had a big party (dancing, sparkling wine, etc)  in the atrium area. About 11:45 my husband said we should go out on deck. It’s Brazil, he was sure that they’d have some fireworks. Off we went to the deck area right in front of the Explorers Lounge. There were only two other couples there. At midnight, the sky exploded with fireworks for about a half hour. Everyone downstairs missed the great show that we felt Manaus put on just for us.

So if you’re docked somewhere, don’t just stay in the shrouded Atrium!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses.  We will be sailing from St Lucia to Barbados.  This cruise has a day in port every day.  All of them we have seen before--but I wanted to do something special for New Years--so this is what I picked.

I look forward to the deck party--has been fun pre-COVID and we didn't have it on our NYC to Montreal cruise- in September where we had to outrun Fiona!

Pat

On 11/16/2022 at 2:24 PM, PatriciaF said:

Thanks for all the responses.  We will be sailing from St Lucia to Barbados.  This cruise has a day in port every day.  All of them we have seen before--but I wanted to do something special for New Years--so this is what I picked.

I look forward to the deck party--has been fun pre-COVID and we didn't have it on our NYC to Montreal cruise- in September where we had to outrun Fiona!

Pat

Oh, you poor people, being on that cruise then! We’ll be taking the slightly different itinerary repositioning cruise from Montreal to Ft Lauderdale next Sept 26 - Oct 10th. Hopefully no freakishly late season hurricanes for then. 

We will be on the Star next month for both Christmas and New Years. Christmas Eve we will be leaving Cozumel; I’ve heard they make that a much more festive evening than on Christmas Day, when we’ll be in Belize. But snorkeling on Christmas, that’s just wrong! 😉😁

Then on New Year’s Eve, we’ll be at sea (Jamaica the next day). So nowhere to look for fireworks, I’m afraid. I plan to bring a bit dressier top for that night (but not sequined or anything), and we’ll be wearing a lot of red the first four days of the cruise! We’ll look forward to a balloon drop and/or music, buffet, & bubbly up on the pool deck. At home, we’d be heading for bed by 10:30, but when you don’t even have to actually “go out” to a party, it seems criminal not to go.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mariastreby said:

We will be on the Star next month for both Christmas and New Years. Christmas Eve we will be leaving Cozumel...

FYI... I believe that both the Viking Star and Viking Neptune will at Cozumel on Christmas Eve this year.

We were in Cozumel on Christmas Eve back in 2014.  We spent the afternoon scuba diving then caught a ferry and shuttle to Cancun.  Christmas just wasn't quite the same in the relatively warm weather and at a resort versus back home with family.  Celebrating with new friends aboard a Viking ocean liner sounds much more appealing than being at a resort with a bunch of strangers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UWDawg said:

FYI... I believe that both the Viking Star and Viking Neptune will at Cozumel on Christmas Eve this year.

Celebrating with new friends aboard a Viking ocean liner sounds much more appealing than being at a resort with a bunch of strangers.

We know about both ships being docked at the same time. The man who started our CC roll call has friends on that cruise, and they plan to meet up.

But we’ll be docked along with 5 mega ships as well. When I checked on Cruise Mapper, their total listed passenger capacity was nearly 17,000. And at Christmas, you know this ships will be nearly at capacity, as ours will be. Then they will all be with us in Roatan on the 26th. At least we only share Belize with 3,500 pax from Princess. 🙄

We do have an active roll call, with about 5 couples from the UK also. I think there will definitely be some new friendships formed, so that spending the holidays together won’t be as lonely as just one couple on their own at a resort. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, UWDawg said:

Yes, the Star and Neptune are in port in Cozumel together on Dec 24th!  We are on the Star and we have good friends on the Neptune, and we've made plans to get together while in Cozumel!  The Neptune is on the first leg of the World Cruise.

16 hours ago, Mariastreby said:

But we’ll be docked along with 5 mega ships as well. When I checked on Cruise Mapper, their total listed passenger capacity was nearly 17,000. And at Christmas, you know this ships will be nearly at capacity, as ours will be. Then they will all be with us in Roatan on the 26th. At least we only share Belize with 3,500 pax from Princess. 🙄

Hi Maria - yes, I forgot that there are some huge mega ships involved with us.

However, we're still really looking forward to meeting you both and to this hopefully wonderful Christmas/New Years cruise!   And yes, much better than sitting at a resort!   Happy Thanksgiving and see you for the December holidays!

Kent

Have done 2 New Year's Eve on Viking in the Med.  Both times the party was in the Atrium.  Fairly low key compared with other reports on this thread.  Very enjoyable,  People did dress up a little thank goodness so that it did look special.  Most people in bed by 12.30.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Have done 2 New Year's Eve on Viking in the Med.  Both times the party was in the Atrium.  Fairly low key compared with other reports on this thread.  Very enjoyable,  People did dress up a little thank goodness so that it did look special.  Most people in bed by 12.30.

Which years was that? The first time we had NYE at the pool and in the Atrium was ringing in 2019 in the Med. I don't know if it was an experiment that year or if all the ships did it.

16 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Which years was that? The first time we had NYE at the pool and in the Atrium was ringing in 2019 in the Med. I don't know if it was an experiment that year or if all the ships did it.

I wonder if the venues of the celebrations depends on the ship being full or nearly so. Ours will be, and trying to fit so many people in the library around all the sofas and in the atrium would be difficult. They’d also want more upbeat music than just the classical usually performed there… I certainly would, but setting a band up there is not something I’d envision. 

Spreading more people out on the pool deck and in the Wintergarden in addition makes a lot more sense. Even if 700 people go to bed beforehand, 200+ people and staff & musicians need space! Of course some will prefer a more quiet Explorers Lounge, but i still predict they’ll need to plan for some 250 total people. I’m also glad that some other women will be wearing dressier clothing that evening. Even if it’s a sparkly top with jeans, it’s more fun! My husband isn’t going to bring a jacket or tie, but he’ll wear a very nice button down shirt. 

• Like 1

Been reviewing my photos.  In 2018  St Tropez - (Monte Carlo New years Day) the party was in the Atrium.  Quite crowded with lots of people sitting on the stairs and the four piece band from Torshaven set up next to the grand piano with a couple of singers.  The screen at the top of the stairs showing NYE around the world.

In 2019 - Rome, there was a party around the pool as well.  That year we had fallen amongst thieves (English saying)  from Florida.  We certainly had had far more to drink that night so perhaps thats why I had forgotten that bit.  Notice quite a few jackets and sparkle - 

On New Year's Day there was a spectacular Brunch laid out around the pool.

IMG_1594.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

IMG_3305.JPG

IMG_3306.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Mariastreby said:

I wonder if the venues of the celebrations depends on the ship being full or nearly so.

Yes and no. For the first few NYEs, the celebration was held only in the Atrium, as Mrs. M has explained. The ship was very close to full capacity, so not only was Deck 1 jam-packed with revelers but so were the Atrium balconies on Decks 2&3. The music was loud and lively and thoroughly dance-able.

(BTW, we were on the same 2 cruises that Mrs.M describes above -- and yes the buffet around the pool the next day spectacular -- perfect way to fritter away the morning in a port city that was all but closed for the day).

For the first NYE after Covid, when the ships were sailing at around 50% capacity, our NYE party was only on the pool deck and into Wintergarden.  I did not take pictures and cannot remember if the pool deck roof was opened or closed.

This is what the party looked like from Deck 3, early in the evening in 2018. Come midnight, you could not see the dance floor for all the people:

00-Ql6biy-mZ87rWVfOSHXTCdySImIvB1QE_lBESTb4fGPps0tcj0uUE2vgpXDOhNgJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1515081458

00-Ql6biy-mZ87rWVfOSHXTCdySImIvB1QE_lBESTb4fGOxxoFLtmFrBsezV4LHFWvO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1515081316