How strict are Cunard with embarkation slots

itstommoj

Hi Everyone,

My Grandparents and I are about to embark the QE for their Fremantle to Sydney voyage (Q233). We've been allocated separate boarding times (1315 and 1430) despite requesting assistance as my Grandmother is wheelchair-bound and I am their carer. 
How strict are Cunard with boarding times? If we all rock up at 1315, will we be turned away or will we be allowed to board as a group?
Thank you!

Nobody at Southampton takes the least notice of allocated times. It might be better if they did. Obvious I don’t know about Fremantle, but even the most authoritarian functionaries are not going to separate you from someone in a wheelchair. You all rock up together.

Just all arrive together , once they understand you are all travelling together with your grandmother I'm sure the terminal agents will accommodate you,.

Just to clarify, as so many people are often confused with the procedure ;

The time on your 'Boarding Pass' is the 'Arrival Time'  not the actual Embarkation time.

You may be asked to take a seat until a counter is available before you can  'Check-In'

After the checking in procedure you may be asked to take a seat to await the 'Embarkation Call' relating to your (suite/stateroom) booking category.  

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Thanks 1

I boarded QE in Fremantle to sail to Melbourne. Dec 2019

Dropped the luggage early, then took some family members for lunch. Returned a couple of hours before my slot, and no problem boarding.

Edited by Docker123

itstommoj,        Just to add to my above post;

Over the past week or so , 'Fremantle Shoreside Security' have been taking it upon them selves to confiscate any Alcohol prior to being taken onboard the ship, which was completely wrong.  Cunard security has had to rectify this and returned confiscated liquor back to the guest owners .

Just to confirm, Cunard Line allow a sensible amount of sprits & wine to be taken onboard their ships for personal consumption in ones stateroom  ( corkage is payable if wine is taken into a restaurant or public bar venue) 

59 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

itstommoj,        Just to add to my above post;

Over the past week or so , 'Fremantle Shoreside Security' have been taking it upon them selves to confiscate any Alcohol prior to being taken onboard the ship, which was completely wrong.  Cunard security has had to rectify this and returned confiscated liquor back to the guest owners .

Just to confirm, Cunard Line allow a sensible amount of sprits & wine to be taken onboard their ships for personal consumption in ones stateroom  ( corkage is payable if wine is taken into a restaurant or public bar venue) 

Why did Fremantle Shoreside Security think they could do this? Really how dare they?

11 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Why did Fremantle Shoreside Security think they could do this? Really how dare they?

My guess (having never been anywhere near Fremantle) is that they were enforcing the rule applicable to most lines, which is one bottle of wine per adult and no hard liquor. Hopefully better training and reminders from Cunard will fix it.

32 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

My guess (having never been anywhere near Fremantle) is that they were enforcing the rule applicable to most lines, which is one bottle of wine per adult and no hard liquor. Hopefully better training and reminders from Cunard will fix it.

Sorry to jump onto another thread, but we're boarding in Southampton in 3 weeks and one thing says we can take wine and fizz and one of my fellow passengers called Cunard who said, up to a litre of spirits.  So what's the rule?!

6 minutes ago, MaraHornraven said:

Sorry to jump onto another thread, but we're boarding in Southampton in 3 weeks and one thing says we can take wine and fizz and one of my fellow passengers called Cunard who said, up to a litre of spirits.  So what's the rule?!

Anything you can carry/roll or otherwise tote on board is fine. There are no limits on drinks - alcoholic or otherwise - see many threads on the same topic 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, lissie said:

Anything you can carry/roll or otherwise tote on board is fine. There are no limits on drinks - alcoholic or otherwise - see many threads on the same topic 

Fabulous! Thank you! Have since heard my cousin once took 12 bottles of fizz in their hold luggage in neoprene cases!!! 

On 11/16/2022 at 6:15 AM, itstommoj said:

Hi Everyone,

My Grandparents and I are about to embark the QE for their Fremantle to Sydney voyage (Q233). We've been allocated separate boarding times (1315 and 1430) despite requesting assistance as my Grandmother is wheelchair-bound and I am their carer. 
How strict are Cunard with boarding times? If we all rock up at 1315, will we be turned away or will we be allowed to board as a group?
Thank you!

Didn't matter at Southampton - turned up an hour early (as had taken fast cat from IoW) and were on board 15 mins before scheduled arrival time

16 hours ago, MaraHornraven said:

There actually IS a rule:   "Please be advised that guests are allowed to bring on board one bottle per person for special occasions.".  This is from the FAQ.

However, what people are saying is that it is generally not enforced.

3 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

There actually IS a rule:   "Please be advised that guests are allowed to bring on board one bottle per person for special occasions.".  This is from the FAQ.

Generally. Does anyone know of an instance where it has ever been enforced?

14 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Because Cunard treat their guests as responsible adults.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

How would they know...?

Quite happy with the wines provided in QG...

So am I, and I dislike clanking, and carrying stuff I don’t have to.

How would they know? If they had had booze confiscated. If they had seen someone else have booze confiscated. The usual sorts of ways you know things.

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Someone somewhere (if not here than on the socials) just recently posted about an overzealous agent in Fremantle enforcing the one bottle rule, apparently until they were corrected by a Cunard employee.

18 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

The reason is 'Cunard use this rule to cover them self '  Thy still have to right to limit over the top excessive amounts alcohol. For example Stag or Hen groups usually on four day mini cruises.

It has been known to be enforced  although it's very rare according to my former colleague ( who after retirement) took a part time security job at Southampton Ocean Terminal.  

1 minute ago, Bell Boy said:

The reason is 'Cunard use this rule to cover them self '  Thy still have to right to limit over the top excessive amounts alcohol. For example Stag or Hen groups usually on four day mini cruises.

It has been known to be enforced  although it's very rare according to my former colleague ( who after retirement) took a part time security job at Southampton Ocean Terminal.  

Goodness, that would be a scary thought. I could imagine booking what was intended to be a restful four nighter to Hamburg, and finding myself surrounded by raucous hens/stags, who, of course, are just as entitled to be there as I, just unexpected.

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Goodness, that would be a scary thought. I could imagine booking what was intended to be a restful four nighter to Hamburg, and finding myself surrounded by raucous hens/stags, who, of course, are just as entitled to be there as I, just unexpected.

Well I'm afraid it has happen from time to time, however, as you are a seasoned Cunarder like me , I doubt very much you'd bother with cheap mini four night getaways .  😉

8 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Well I'm afraid it has happen from time to time, however, as you are a seasoned Cunarder like me , I doubt very much you'd bother with cheap mini four night getaways .  😉

We had one, and only one, short break for four or five [can't remember it was so long ago]  nights on Victoria over an August Bank holiday with a couple we meet occasionally onboard but I do remember,  it wasn't cheap! 

Mind you, it wasn't raucous either 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 3:14 PM, exlondoner said:

Yes - I arranged for some assistance with a few barrels for my last cruise, but they wouldn't allow it up to the ship, even though I had purposely booked a port-side balcony.

Bit mean, I thought!

Dockside crane hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2