In Covid isolation on the Nieuw Amsterdam

birdie16

1 hour ago, birdie16 said:

It sounds like you are being treated better than we were on the Amsterdam. At first I was angry with Holland America for the lack of care and protocols, but I’m beginning to believe it has more to do with the actual management on our ship. Our situation was a cluster of mistakes from beginning to end. I’m too tired to write more about it, as I’m still sick. When I am better, I will be writing a long letter to corporate. We were not offered any medication, that would have shortened our illness. I hope you are better soon.

I am so sorry.  Hal should be consistent across the fleet. I hope you feel better soon.   Hal will be getting a letter from me.  Because they are responsible for some of the mess at the pier.  I know that is where my dad picked it up.  The Ship got a last minute coast guard drill and boarding started later and passengers were advised that boarding would start at 12:30 so guess what, everyone shows up at that time. I was expecting to get a new boarding time and never did.  They could have included “All boarding times will be 1 hr later”.   My dad was suppose to get his silver medallion and now he could care less.  The crew have been great.  They assigned us a person from guest services and one from the medical department.  I just want to be able to fly home on Dec 1st.  Today we are going through the canal and I would love to go out on my balcony but so many people are out on n their balconies, I don’t want to spread any thing.  I get tested tomorrow.  Both my dad and I are double vaxed and triple boosted and it still kicks you in the butt.  Never had it in the last 2-1/2 years.  When I booked vaccine was required and pre Covid testing was required.  All changed after final payment.  Hope you feel better soon!

They really put you through the ringer for doing the right thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, liketraveling said:

I am so sorry.  Hal should be consistent across the fleet. I hope you feel better soon.   Hal will be getting a letter from me.  Because they are responsible for some of the mess at the pier.  I know that is where my dad picked it up.  The Ship got a last minute coast guard drill and boarding started later and passengers were advised that boarding would start at 12:30 so guess what, everyone shows up at that time. I was expecting to get a new boarding time and never did.  They could have included “All boarding times will be 1 hr later”.   My dad was suppose to get his silver medallion and now he could care less.  The crew have been great.  They assigned us a person from guest services and one from the medical department.  I just want to be able to fly home on Dec 1st.  Today we are going through the canal and I would love to go out on my balcony but so many people are out on n their balconies, I don’t want to spread any thing.  I get tested tomorrow.  Both my dad and I are double vaxed and triple boosted and it still kicks you in the butt.  Never had it in the last 2-1/2 years.  When I booked vaccine was required and pre Covid testing was required.  All changed after final payment.  Hope you feel better soon!

They really put you through the ringer for doing the right thing.

Exactly! Just so you know…you can refuse the test. (You don’t want them to make you stay longer) After I tested negative twice, I refused any more testing. I knew I had it and we were stuck in our cabin for my husband anyway. When we got home, after being declared good to travel, we both tested positive. The problem is, nobody is calling medical, they are walking around with Covid.

Edited by birdie16
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

Exactly! Just so you know…you can refuse the test. (You don’t want them to make you stay longer) After I tested negative twice, I refused any more testing. I knew I had it and we were stuck in our cabin for my husband anyway. When we got home, after being declared good to travel, we both tested positive. The problem is, nobody is calling medical, they are walking around with Covid.

I brought my own tests. When my dad’s was positive I Contacted medical.  

• Like 1

For those waiting on FCC, my DW and I were quarantined in July (she positive, me negative 3 times during 6 day quarantine). My brother and his DW also were on same ship, she tested positive, he negative and also both quarantined for 6 days. They booked a future cruise onboard and when they got home, called their TA who got the FCC applied to the booking. We all got letters for FCC and dates, etc etc. My wife and I heard crickets until we got onboard in October and I stood at Guest Services to get someone on phone and miraculously FCC appeared in my Mariner account. Once you are off a ship, it's impossible to get HAL'S attention. It appears that having  someone (TA, onboard staff, etc) in your corner is required. I was told to email HAL to follow up on another issue we were not credited for.  Since we've been off the ship,, HAL has been silent for that. If you have a TA or currently on a ship, might be worth following up and pressing. The good thing is because our FCC came late, we have a longer time before they expire so we can wait for things to hopefully get better organized. 🤞

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2022 at 7:32 AM, seaoma said:

I hope you have months before final payment. Good luck!

My situation is different from yours in that we booked amidst the pandemic when they were requiring vaccinations and masks. We cruised 2x with a total of 28 days between August and December 2021 and even though there were a few passengers that did not comply with all of the rules, we felt fairly safe.

What disturbed us on those cruises was that there were no consequences for anyone that chose not to follow the health protocols.

The only ones that suffer any adverse consequences are people that get sick. 

It is just so strange to me that the industry that is known in the general public as a germ factory, would choose to to reinforce this perception.

@birdie16I'm assuming that you are home now and are feeling well.

Yes, we are home now. I’m still sick and testing positive, my husband is back to normal.

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2022 at 11:17 PM, REOVA said:

For those waiting on FCC, my DW and I were quarantined in July (she positive, me negative 3 times during 6 day quarantine). My brother and his DW also were on same ship, she tested positive, he negative and also both quarantined for 6 days. They booked a future cruise onboard and when they got home, called their TA who got the FCC applied to the booking. We all got letters for FCC and dates, etc etc. My wife and I heard crickets until we got onboard in October and I stood at Guest Services to get someone on phone and miraculously FCC appeared in my Mariner account. Once you are off a ship, it's impossible to get HAL'S attention. It appears that having  someone (TA, onboard staff, etc) in your corner is required. I was told to email HAL to follow up on another issue we were not credited for.  Since we've been off the ship,, HAL has been silent for that. If you have a TA or currently on a ship, might be worth following up and pressing. The good thing is because our FCC came late, we have a longer time before they expire so we can wait for things to hopefully get better organized. 🤞

My wife got covid on the Oosterdam in August and was sent to 5 days of isolation in regular verandah cabin, we had a Signature Suite, and I tested negative. HAL first wanted to isolate her in an inside cabin, but it turned out they were already all full of covid passengers, so they found a veranda in the "Covid" ward of the ship. After the cruise, we got dumped in Venice for another 3 days of isolation in Venice by HAL, once off the ship we got nothing of what they promised us. However our TA filled a claim with our travel insurance company, AON, for the missed 5 days and our post cruise hotel and meal expenses. We received this week full payment for the missed 5 days for both my wife and I, plus all other expenses. The only thing they didn't pay was $40 for cough syrup on the ship from HAL's medical people. We and our TA have never heard a word from HAL but getting a full cash refund from AON was much better than any FCC.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, birdie16 said:

Yes, we are home now. I’m still sick and testing positive, my husband is back to normal.

I'm sorry to hear you are still sick.  

I hope you see some compensation from HAL, but I have lost my faith in that process and I hope you have a travel insurance policy that will help.

So having just read this full thread I am so confused as to how to handle potential Covid. Our 2 cruises last year we masked indoors except for eating and drinking. (Retired RN who takes reducing transmission risks seriously) We are still Novids. So if we were to test pos with our own tests and chose not to report to Medical and just isolate in our room, what does one tell the room steward?  Our next cruise we splurged on a Neptune....We wouldn't want to be pulled from that to isolate elsewhere.  Also if you didn't report it to Medical then not sure if you could still file a travel insurance claim should added hotel stay needed or flight changes...or could you??? I certainly have no shame or embarrassment about wearing a mask to reduce risks...and to the person who said they don't want to see anyone wearing masks...well you do you and I'll do me. I know I would never get in a packed elevator without a mask but wearing it is worth it to us to keep cruising. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on the NA Nov. 12 - 19.  We wore our masks on the plane and in the airport, didn't go to the shows, tried to sit just at a table for 2 most meals and stayed away from people as much as possible.  Coming home on the 19th, the Fort Lauderdale airport was jam packed with travellers, coughing, sneezing, etc. I don't think 5% of the people had masks on. We had our masks on, but 4 days after arriving home, I got the flu and I'm still sick.  A woman sat down beside me at the airport and was obviously sick with something.  I finally said to her, very nicely, that I had an extra mask if she would like it.  She didn't and she got up and moved.  I think I picked up something at the airport, not on the ship. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fellswoop said:

So having just read this full thread I am so confused as to how to handle potential Covid. Our 2 cruises last year we masked indoors except for eating and drinking. (Retired RN who takes reducing transmission risks seriously) We are still Novids. So if we were to test pos with our own tests and chose not to report to Medical and just isolate in our room, what does one tell the room steward?  Our next cruise we splurged on a Neptune....We wouldn't want to be pulled from that to isolate elsewhere.  Also if you didn't report it to Medical then not sure if you could still file a travel insurance claim should added hotel stay needed or flight changes...or could you??? I certainly have no shame or embarrassment about wearing a mask to reduce risks...and to the person who said they don't want to see anyone wearing masks...well you do you and I'll do me. I know I would never get in a packed elevator without a mask but wearing it is worth it to us to keep cruising. 

We continue to wear masks on ships, in stores, at restaurants. But when eating is an issue if crowded.  I am also Novid 🤞🤞 but DW got it on ship in July, we both quarantined. Fortunately (?) Ship ran out of rooms set aside so we stayed in our booked cabin (we always book a balcony now). Masks work as medical staff know for years. Difference is yours are thrown away each use and hands sanitize. Many people don't realize how often they touch hand to face, eyes, nose, etc thinking the mask doesn't work. And if their hands are not cleaned...viola. DW said she wouldn't report to Medical after our experience. 😁

Don't you need Dr test result for insurance claim? 

8 hours ago, REOVA said:

We continue to wear masks on ships, in stores, at restaurants. But when eating is an issue if crowded.  I am also Novid 🤞🤞 but DW got it on ship in July, we both quarantined. Fortunately (?) Ship ran out of rooms set aside so we stayed in our booked cabin (we always book a balcony now). Masks work as medical staff know for years. Difference is yours are thrown away each use and hands sanitize. Many people don't realize how often they touch hand to face, eyes, nose, etc thinking the mask doesn't work. And if their hands are not cleaned...viola. DW said she wouldn't report to Medical after our experience. 😁

Don't you need Dr test result for insurance claim? 

Yes, if you have trip insurance and are eligible for reimbursement, then you must have positive test results. 

On 11/17/2022 at 3:48 PM, Sir PMP said:

Not in my eyes, if I am on a cruise, I don't want seen anyone with masks or people going crazy in isolation. This is a cruise for heaven's sake, most people get their annual flu shot and that should be sufficient.

Good luck fella. You’ll need it.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

Yes, if you have trip insurance and are eligible for reimbursement, then you must have positive test results. 

My wife tested positive on our August cruise 5 days before the end of the 14 day cruise, she was put into isolation, but I was not. I wasn't positive until we got off the ship and in isolation in Venice, my positive test was from a home test at the hotel so nothing official. Our travel insurance reimbursed us both for the missed 5 days, even though it was only my wife who had a positive test result from the ship. We were in a suite, so the 5 days for our reimbursement was substantial and we got the check last Monday.

13 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Our travel insurance reimbursed us both for the missed 5 days, even though it was only my wife who had a positive test result from the ship.

Good to hear. We have a similar travel insurance policy - it covers us if our travel companions' plans change or affect our travels, and we are also covered if we can no longer lodge with our intended hosts at our destination.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

Good to hear. We have a similar travel insurance policy - it covers us if our travel companions' plans change or affect our travels, and we are also covered if we can no longer lodge with our intended hosts at our destination.

Wondering if they have one for volcanoes? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

It will likely depend on if you had coverage in effect prior to the increase in volcanic activity.

I don’t understand this discussion.  If you can’t go to a hotel or shore excursion because of a volcano then you would be reimbursed by the vendor.  Insurance should have no role. Now if you decided to hike said volcano and a volcanic bomb landed on you - maybe not.  This is what happened in New Zealand. People hiked too close and were injured. 

Edited by Mary229

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I don’t understand this discussion.  If you can’t go to a hotel or shore excursion because of a volcano then you would be reimbursed by the vendor.  Insurance should have no role. Now if you decided to hike said volcano and a volcanic bomb landed on you - maybe not.  This is what happened in New Zealand. People hiked too close and were injured. 

The point is if you are expecting insurance to cover a loss, then you need to have insurance before the event started.  If you waited until the volcano started to erupt to purchase travel insurance, I would not expect your policy to cover losses due to the volcano.

12 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

The point is if you are expecting insurance to cover a loss, then you need to have insurance before the event started.  If you waited until the volcano started to erupt to purchase travel insurance, I would not expect your policy to cover losses due to the volcano.

What would it be for?  I understand a homeowner having insurance for a volcano but what does a traveler need volcano insurance for?

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

What would it be for?  I understand a homeowner having insurance for a volcano but what does a traveler need volcano insurance for?

Insurance usually doesn't cover Acts of Nature unless specifically named. This was the "excuse" for denying claims for COVID cancellations in 2020. 

Just now, Mary229 said:

I can take a stab at this. Those with breathing issues may want to reconsider visiting the Hawaiian islands soon due to possible VOG levels. Although air quality has remained good since Mauna Lau's eruption, that can change in a moment. There were reports of Pili's hair near Captain Cook this morning.

Others, like us, have changed our plans to include a trip to the Big Island. Normally we fly straight into Maui, but we're spending a few weeks prior in Kona this year in the hopes of experiencing the eruption.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, REOVA said:

Insurance usually doesn't cover Acts of Nature unless specifically named. This was the "excuse" for denying claims for COVID cancellations in 2020. 

There are homeowners policies for various natural events but I was questioning what a traveler would even need such insurance for? 

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

I can take a stab at this. Those with breathing issues may want to reconsider visiting the Hawaiian islands soon due to possible VOG levels. Although air quality has remained good since Mauna Lau's eruption, that can change in a moment. There were reports of Pili's hair near Captain Cook this morning.

Others, like us, have changed our plans to include a trip to the Big Island. Normally we fly straight into Maui, but we're spending a few weeks prior in Kona this year in the hopes of experiencing the eruption.

To make a claim you must have a loss, so again?…