what is luxury/premium/'normal'/cheap? Followed by dress code and other queries...

waylandertoo

This thread has come about because my wife found a lovely cruise (Silver Seas) Panama Canal and Machu Picchu which tickled our fancy and whilst it was (IMO) eye-wateringly dear it made up for that by effectively containing 2 desired destinations in one holiday and a bonus luxury train-journey. I have since been surfing the various threads and trying to take ideas on-board... I've seen SS called premium by some and luxury by others (certainly for my budget it seems luxury!) and I was then wondering about dress-codes on-board in the more premium priced part of the market. Actually another question is quite simply what's the difference between premium and luxury?

We've only been on 2 cruises: Baltic on Princess; Alaska on HAL (should've been Celebrity but... <sigh> ) and thoroughly enjoyed both which has left Mrs W.too keen to try other ones, there is an issue though. Having spent 45 years needing to wear a suit and tie (for both work and school) I have no desire to now dress like that when I'm meant to be relaxing - indeed the thought of having to put on formal attire these days is, IMO, the antithesis of 'relaxing'. I do understand that for a lot of people the dressing up thing is a big part of the cruise (and I appreciate that we're all different) and so a lot of the pricier options seem to follow this dress-code idea - I guess partly down to age groupings on these cruises (though to be fair at 58 I'm not exactly a fresh-faced youngling)?

I realise I'm waffling a little (a lot?) without getting to other questions so without further ado:

- which of the more premium lines have a formal dress-code (for clarity now I'm retired I am strictly jeans and t-shirt)?

- are all of the premium lines all-inclusive for excursions or only some?

- are you obliged to share a table for meals? I am quite a quiet/introverted person who enjoys his own (and wife's!!) company and really have no interest in being part of "strangers are just friends you've not yet met". That's not to say I'm rude or don't engage, it's just not enjoying being 'forced together', get me talking and I'm liable not to shut-up 😁

- not keen on being waited on hand and foot (I'll pour my own water at dinner thank you very much)

- neither of us are really drinkers (the odd cocktail or glass of wine, but that's it) so not really bothered about AI drinks, is that a negative?

I'm sure I'll think 🤔 about more, but rather than waffle on I'll leave it at this for the time being... 👍

We sail Oceania  (Premium)  the dress code  for dinner  is long pants like Dockers etc   & a collard shirt

More casual venue is the  Buffet

You do not need to share a table  it is open dining  show up during opening hours & be seated

Specialty restaurants are included  but require a reservation

Non Alcoholic beverages included

you can get excursion packages  for a fee

drink packages for a fee

Viking  you get wine/beer lunch & dinner 

basic shore excursion per port

dress code informal

SS I think  required dress up for dinner   but I would check the forums for the Luxury lines

Regent  is all inclusive

drinks, excursions etc  included

Dress code  relaxed casual not sure on jeans & T's  for dinner

Main stream line s you can usually wear  more casual attire

then add on packages for  drinks tours etc..

Everyone has  different wants/needs

A good  cruise TA could help find  what you are looking for  with your budget  in mind

Happy hunting

• Thanks 1

1.  Silversea, Seabourn, and Regent (also, previously Crystal) are generally considered "luxury" English language lines.  Scenic (Australian) may also be in that category.  The German line Hapag Lloyd is also luxury but only has English language on two of their ships (Europa II and expedition ship Inspiration).  Ponant (French line, but with English also used as an on board language) may or may not fall into that category.

People disagree about what is and is not luxury, but factors considered include inclusivity of food and drink other than premium drink, public space per passenger, passenger to crew ratio, and ability to accomodate unique passenger requests.  

Some do and some do not include  basic excursions and airfare  (but not necessarily the one you want), and the price reflects this ( some have an opt out provision where you get a credit).

Premium lines are generally considered Azamara and Oceania, Viking, and maybe Celebrity, maybe Ponant (by those who don't call it luxury).  Rooms are smaller. You pay for many add-ons (drink packages).

There is more as-you-go nickel and diming but not as bad as on the mainstream lines including slightly above average HAL.

2. All these lines prohibit jeans after 6 PM in the main dining room, so if you want to be in jeans and T shirt ALL the time you would be very limited in the evenings (e.g., to the buffet area and room service)

Silversea is the most strict on dress code in the main dining room (MDR), and will require a tie and dark suit or tux (suits are more common)  on their "formal" nights in the MDR, which is once a week on average, and a jacket on "informal" nights.  Otherwise the code in the evening  for public areas is "elegant casual", e.g., a collared shirt and nicer slacks.

Your horizons will be broader if you bring a dark suit and tie (will get you into MDR on formal nights) , or at least a sport coat.

During the day, you can wear whatever you want.

I suggest you click onto the websites of these lines and read their dress codes.  Also, within the forum for each line, there are dress code discussions.

Of all the luxury lines, SS may be the least appropriate for you, unless you want to restrict your evening food venues quite a bit

3.  You are not obliged to share tables on any luxury line (but sometimes you will have to wait if you don't want to share and the cruise is sold out)

4.  If you are not alcohol drinkers,  you would not benefit from all inclusive alcohol lines, but you also can receive inclusive mocktails, sodas, fancy coffees etc. 

Edited by Catlover54
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

First please, it is Silversea not Silverseas.  

And yes, it’s true that SS is the most formal with suit and tie required on formal nights in most venues however many people can make it work just fine with sport coat, tie and dark pants.  La Terrazza and The Grill are informal attire required on formal nights. The excellent room service is also not a bad option on those few formal nights.  Expedition cruises do not have a formal requirement nor do the Med cruises of 7 days or fewer.  Seems like SS is beginning to relax the dress code a bit.  Is the cruise you are considering an expedition cruise?

Outstanding service is evident on SS ships and you can avail yourself of as much pampering as you can tolerate but be assured that you will never get a chance to pour your water yourself!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Outstanding service is evident on SS ships and you can avail yourself of as much pampering as you can tolerate but be assured that you will never get a chance to pour your water yourself!

Glad you mentioned the part about not pouring your water yourself, as it brings up that such is just one of the usual rituals of a luxury line. With all due respect, if things like that make you uncomfortable you would simply be much happier with a more casual line.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Glad you mentioned the part about not pouring your water yourself, as it brings up that such is just one of the usual rituals of a luxury line. With all due respect, if things like that make you uncomfortable you would simply be much happier with a more casual line.  

44 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

First please, it is Silversea not Silverseas.  

And yes, it’s true that SS is the most formal with suit and tie required on formal nights in most venues however many people can make it work just fine with sport coat, tie and dark pants.  La Terrazza and The Grill are informal attire required on formal nights. The excellent room service is also not a bad option on those few formal nights.  Expedition cruises do not have a formal requirement nor do the Med cruises of 7 days or fewer.  Seems like SS is beginning to relax the dress code a bit.  Is the cruise you are considering an expedition cruise?

Pax can, of course,  ask to have bottled water left on the table so they can pour it themselves.  I preferred that approach on my recent Seabourn cruise after the first couple days  because I did not like the odd-tasting pitcher water that was poured routinely, and wanted sparkling water from a bottle.  If I left it to the waiters to refill my bottled water glass, there would be very long waits (there aren't supposed to be on a luxury line, but there were), and/or they would mix their pitcher water into my sparkling.

Pax can also do the same thing with premium wine (and we did -- due to slow and confused wine service, and not because we are uncomfortable with having someone pour our wine).

The OP would like to experience the joys of a luxury line, and he might still be able to do so even if he wants to pour his own water.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/4/2023 at 8:50 AM, gkbiiii said:

What about Cunard, where does it fall and what about its demanding dress code?

It really depends on what class you book for Cunard.  There are basically three classes:  Britannia, Princess Grill and Queens Grill.  Princess and Queens Grill each have their own dining rooms, and they also have access to their own deck area, and also a lounge (this was on the Queen Mary 2 back in 2019, so I assume its still the same), butler, etc.  

Queens Grill is pretty comparable to the suites, dining, etc on the luxury lines.  But of course, you will mingle with the rest of the passengers in the general ship areas as well.

Cunard has one of the most demanding dress codes.  As I recall, there are several formal nights per cruise (of course, that depends on the length of the cruise), and black tie is still very much en vogue.  People dress up.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have been on Viking and Hapag-Lloyd. I liked both would cruise with them again.

Viking is premium level and more relaxed. I don’t think you need a jacket/ tie for dinner at the restaurant. Their buffet at night is really great and contains all the items from the main restaurant, so no need to dress up. There is no formal night. They have some alcohol 🍷 supplied at meal time for free. So you are not paying for someone else’s alcohol package. They have one included tour per destination. I would say it is not that interesting and I would rather organise a private tour my self. 

Hapag-Lloyd ( expedition) has much more elaborate dinner service. Normally 7-5 courses, silver service etc.. For me it is quite tiring to have such a long meal every night. Most people dressed smart casual and there are formal nights too. It is definitely more upscale but for me that t is not necessarily as I was mainly focused on wildlife etc. I have booked with them again this August to Arctic but will try to have buffet if is available. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 12:25 PM, Catlover54 said:

If you are not alcohol drinkers,  you would not benefit from all inclusive alcohol lines

What you mean, I think, is that you won't benefit financially, but you still may consider there to be other benefits that make it worthwhile.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, calliopecruiser said:

What you mean, I think, is that you won't benefit financially, but you still may consider there to be other benefits that make it worthwhile.

My spouse doesn't drink, but we still choose to go onto an all inclusive line.  The alcohol is a small aspect of the cruise.

• Like 4