Was Marina's Fall 2023 refit cancelled?

Torquer

Several websites have articles about Riviera and Marina having a complete refit.  For example:

https://www.cruisehive.com/two-luxury-cruise-ships-to-undergo-complete-transformation/69787

It says Riviera is having hers done right now and I understand she is in dry dock now.  But the articles say Marina is scheduled for October/November 2023.  However, the Oceania website still show cruises running that time next year.  In fact, it has full availability in all cabins including the top suites which I am surprised would still be available.

Does anyone know if the refit was cancelled/postponed or is the Oceania website just wrong and those cruises are not going to sail?

10 minutes ago, Torquer said:

It says Riviera is having hers done right now and I understand she is in dry dock now.  But the articles say Marina is scheduled for October/November 2023.  However, the Oceania website still show cruises running that time next year.  In fact, it has full availability in all cabins including the top suites which I am surprised would still be available.

Does anyone know if the refit was cancelled/postponed or is the Oceania website just wrong and those cruises are not going to sail?

Interesting

Maybe just I T has not updated the  website

it would  be  a shame to do one ship & not the other

1 hour ago, maadimom said:

We had our cruise Oct 11, 2023 canceled and they automatically booked us on the previous cruise.  They said it was because the refit got moved up. 

After reading @maadimom comment, I decided to call Oceania before we start doing a lot of planning for booking.  They said the Marina's refit had been postponed until 2024, so those cruises are indeed available to book.  It is interesting in that we were actually interested in that same October 11, 2023 cruise on Marina...when did they tell you it was cancelled?

Looking at all Marina cruises on the O website, there is a 10 day period from January 11 to January 20 with no cruises showing, so perhaps that is when she is going into dry dock.

2 minutes ago, Torquer said:

After reading @maadimom comment, I decided to call Oceania before we start doing a lot of planning for booking.  They said the Marina's refit had been postponed until 2024, so those cruises are indeed available to book.  It is interesting in that we were actually interested in that same October 11, 2023 cruise on Marina...when did they tell you it was cancelled?

Looking at all Marina cruises on the O website, there is a 10 day period from January 11 to January 20 with no cruises showing, so perhaps that is when she is going into dry dock.

More likely a charter. Nine days is not enough time, plus they tend to do them in Europe when ship is there which would mean not doing in the winter.

• Like 2

I just called Oceania and asked. They confirmed that Marina refit will NOT happen in 2023. Promised revised time frame is 2024 but the date is, as of now, undetermined. I booked a cruise in August 2024 assuming refit will have been completed. Hoping they do it by then!

• Like 2

Not sure if you’ve read the recent financial updates, but NCL is not going to make its revenue projections. The stock has been downgraded from a buy.

My guess is no sale is planned, but a delay in monetary outlays. Vista being delayed isn’t helping cash flow either.

• Like 1

Marina refit was always scheduled for November 2023 as referenced at this Oceania link and also discussed extensively back in April 2022 in this thread: Major Refits upcoming for Riviera (2022) and Marina (2023)  

Some may be thinking the Marina refit would happen in fall 2022 due to this erroneous Cruise Critic article that was linked in post 131 of the Major Refits upcoming for Riviera (2022) and Marina (2023) thread.

Edited by Fam_Cruise

10 minutes ago, Fam_Cruise said:

Marina refit was always scheduled for November 2023 as referenced at this Oceania link and also discussed extensively back in April 2022 in this thread: Major Refits upcoming for Riviera (2022) and Marina (2023)  

The article at the link referenced in post 1 is from a cruise rag and while that info is correct, a similar article from another cruise rag (not cruisehive as I searched for that) was posted in another thread months back with the error indicating both ships would be renovated in fall 2022 which was erroneous as pointed out back then.  Sorry, I didn't bother searching more extensively for that thread, but feel free to do so if you're so inclined.

The delay to 2024 is quite concerning. if ship will not be renovated I may cancel my 25 night cruise which I just booked.

3 minutes ago, edgee said:

The delay to 2024 is quite concerning. if ship will not be renovated I may cancel my 25 night cruise which I just booked.

While I have a Marina cruise scheduled for next June, I'm probably going to cancel in a couple weeks due to scheduling conflicts.  Fortunately the others are on Riviera and Vista.

1 minute ago, Fam_Cruise said:

While I have a Marina cruise scheduled for next June, I'm probably going to cancel in a couple weeks due to scheduling conflicts.  Fortunately the others are on Riviera and Vista.

I will be on Marina for 14 nights in the Med in April/May. Will assess at that point whether cruising on her in August of '24 if unrefurbished will be a problem for me.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Would rather sail on the Marina as is than any of the R ships.

Gladly have them trade out the Regatta for the Marina, without refurbishment, for our 35 day Dec 23 circumnavigation of Oz. 

Agree, she is beautifully maintained, while I was looking forward to sailing on her a few months after the refurbishment I have no qualms with sailing her as is, if it is bumped past my early '24 cruise.  

Thank you everyone for being observant regarding Marina's retrofit- I was planning to call Oceania but saw others beat me to it.  We completed a cruise on Riviera recently, have another booked for next October and recently booked on Marina for 2024. Based on the uncertainty of when this retrofit will happen, I went on a search for a similar itinerary and found one two months earlier on Vista.

The location of the original cabin wasn't our first choice but I know that availability is always changing. Sure enough, I checked 1 hour later and found the location we wanted and made the change. Looking forward to sailing on Vista.

19 hours ago, Torquer said:

We booked this when it first came out.  About three weeks later our TA sent us the email he got which said the refit had been scheduled to start during our cruise and that we had been automatically rebooked on the previous cruise.

After reading these posts, I looked on their website.  There is a cruise on the 11th now, but the itinerary isn’t the same, BUT, the map show what we had booked.  It worked out well enough for us as we got 2 extra days, same cabin, and same price.

My main concern is that we have booked two Oceania cruises in the last year, and both have been canceled.  We have never sailed with Oceania, and although both cancellations were handled well, it’s hard to trust reserving something that never comes to fruition. 

image.thumb.jpeg.37ca3d7e934c0f8154f6a5a0ce4f0e26.jpeg

28 minutes ago, maadimom said:

My main concern is that we have booked two Oceania cruises in the last year, and both have been canceled.  We have never sailed with Oceania, and although both cancellations were handled well, it’s hard to trust reserving something that never comes to fruition. 

image.thumb.jpeg.37ca3d7e934c0f8154f6a5a0ce4f0e26.jpeg

A lot of us with considerably more than two cruises both taken and cancelled by Oceania likewise booked cruises on the Vista when they were first released. We don’t know if those cruises are sailing either.

The issue of the Vista came up one evening In Martinis on my recent cruise. Seems the game plan for most is to not book airfare, tours, or most anything else until at least after payment in full date which isn’t until next March -April for most.

If concerned about your cruise, perhaps you shouldn’t put much energy into it until the pif date and see what transpires.  No decisions are required until then.

well  Riviera is about 1 mth in dry dock so cannot see  Marina getting redone in less time

I doubt  she will be  rack n ruin condition by the time her make over happens   they do try to keep up with repairs along the way

JMO

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Just checked Marinas schedule for '24.   If O moved the refit to 2024, they will be booting people off at least one or two itineraries since they don't have any refit "gap" built into the schedule.

Last Friday there was a post regarding this. Several people called Oceania and they did confirm the retrofit was moved to 2024- though without a firm date- we decided to cxl and moved over to a very similar itinerary on Vista and we even got the cabin we wanted- we were lucky.

3 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2022 at 12:19 PM, Torquer said:

Several websites have articles about Riviera and Marina having a complete refit.  For example:

https://www.cruisehive.com/two-luxury-cruise-ships-to-undergo-complete-transformation/69787

Marina is getting done right before the TA cruise from Europe to N.America. There is a gap built in at the end of her last fully European cruise and the TA cruise, as I am booked on the TA cruise and tried to extend it with the last European cruise but could not due to the dry dock schedule.

Edited by Sabbycat

1 hour ago, Sabbycat said:

Marina is getting done right before the TA cruise from Europe to N.America. There is a gap built in at the end of her last fully European cruise and the TA cruise, as I am booked on the TA cruise and tried to extend it with the last European cruise but could not due to the dry dock schedule.

That is  interesting  I guess O has not changed their website  yet

Still showing  cruises in Oct  prior to the  BCN/LIS to Mia  crossings in 2024

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

That is  interesting  I guess O has not changed their website  yet

Still showing  cruises in Oct  prior to the  BCN/LIS to Mia  crossings in 2024

2 hours ago, Sabbycat said:

What year are you referring to, 2023 or 2024? As noted previously,  latest word is Oceania has recently changed their plans and will do the Marina refurb at a yet to be determined date in 2024. If you were told you could not book a cruise in 2023 just prior to the Transatlantic, you may want to check again, since the 2023 refurb will no longer be on the schedule.

• Like 1

Available now in every category but lowest Inside

Holy Land & Treasures

FARES FROM $1,999 PER GUEST

12-Day Voyage

Marina

NOV
 TO 
NOV

Special Offer

Save with Free Pre-Paid Gratuities, a value up to $500, plus OLife Choice offer with 2 for 1 Cruise Fares, Free Roundtrip Airfare with Airport Transfers,* and choose one free amenity:

FREE - 6 Shore Excursions
FREE - Beverage Package
FREE - $600 Shipboard Credit
Amenities are per stateroom

Book Now - Offer Ends November 30.

View All Offers 

Itinerary & Fares                               Special Offers                               Ports & Excursions                               Hotels & Land                               Onboard Marina                               Cruise Overview              

Itinerary  = Anchor Port

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART
Nov 1 Wed Istanbul, Turkey Embark 1 PM 6 PM
Nov 2 Thu Cruising the Aegean Sea    
Nov 3 Fri Antalya, Turkey 8 AM 5 PM
Nov 4 Sat Limassol, Cyprus 8 AM 6 PM
Nov 5 Sun Jerusalem (Haifa), Israel 6 AM 10 PM
Nov 6 Mon Jerusalem (Ashdod), Israel 6 AM 8 PM
Nov 7 Tue Cairo (Port Said), Egypt 6 AM 8 PM
Nov 8 Wed Alexandria, Egypt 7 AM 8 PM
Nov 9 Thu Cruising the Mediterranean Sea    
Nov 10 Fri Valletta, Malta 1 PM 8 PM