Masks, RATs compulsory again in Australia: anyone onboard QE just now?

lahore

Hi, I just read the article below regarding Carnival (including Cunard) reinstating infection control procedures in the context of the ‘fourth wave’ in Australia at the moment. 

https://www.traveller.com.au/carnival-cruise-line-makes-masks-compulsory-in-wake-of-majestic-princess-outbreak-h27yli?promote_channel=edmail&mbnr=MjI3NDgyODg&eid=email:nnn-13omn645-ret_newsl-membereng:nnn-04%2F11%2F2013-smh_travel-dom-travel-nnn-smh-u&campaign_code=13ITR004&list_name=10078_traveller_news&instance=2022-11-18--00-59--UTC

Is anyone onboard or recently disembarked at the moment who can give us a real world evaluation of the state of play onboard?   

*NB; not wanting a political discussion on pro/anti infection control procedures, just wanting to know what’s happening. 

Edited by lahore

• lahore changed the title to Masks, RATs compulsory again in Australia: anyone onboard QE just now?

i saw that - sounded like old news to me - we had compulsory masks and closed laundries for most of our trip from SF-Barcelona in Jul-Aug and we had masks required for the first 9 days Barcelona- Singapore - I believe they reinstated masks after Singapore too 

20 hours ago, lissie said:

i saw that - sounded like old news to me - we had compulsory masks and closed laundries for most of our trip from SF-Barcelona in Jul-Aug and we had masks required for the first 9 days Barcelona- Singapore - I believe they reinstated masks after Singapore too 

Maybe, but the article was dated 18th November  and is in line with the current ‘fourth wave’ in Australia.  It’s interesting that I note passengers on other CCL lines in Australian waters have received letters to this extent, but not Cunard (or at least I haven’t).  Thanks for your experience in Jul-Aug of course, but I am interested if things have just changed again in the last week or so.

Yes, currently on board Queen Elizabeth.  Can confirm we're back to masks, 4 in the lift, 2 in the launderette etc. Obviously quite a few cases on board after a large number of pax joined in Sydney but not sure how many as no-one ever tells you anything! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lahore said:

Maybe, but the article was dated 18th November  and is in line with the current ‘fourth wave’ in Australia.  It’s interesting that I note passengers on other CCL lines in Australian waters have received letters to this extent, but not Cunard (or at least I haven’t).  Thanks for your experience in Jul-Aug of course, but I am interested if things have just changed again in the last week or so.

That's what I meant the article was old news - we were wearing masks for the  first part of our cruise ex Barcelona to Singapore in October. They were  wearing masks on board when the ship left Singapore on 30 Oct.  

You will probably get a letter a few days before your cruise. I'd expect it  and if its not the case be happy - but frankly so long as the number are as high as they are in Oz and NZ you'll probably be wearing masks 

2 hours ago, lissie said:

That's what I meant the article was old news - we were wearing masks for the  first part of our cruise ex Barcelona to Singapore in October. They were  wearing masks on board when the ship left Singapore on 30 Oct.  

You will probably get a letter a few days before your cruise. I'd expect it  and if its not the case be happy - but frankly so long as the number are as high as they are in Oz and NZ you'll probably be wearing masks 

I hope we are, well we would be anyway but I hope others are.  Would greatly prefer it for my partner’s sake given the recent rise in numbers, however as i said….don’t want to get political so I’ll not say more. 

Edited by lahore

16 hours ago, Pippa04 said:

Yes, currently on board Queen Elizabeth.  Can confirm we're back to masks, 4 in the lift, 2 in the launderette etc. Obviously quite a few cases on board after a large number of pax joined in Sydney but not sure how many as no-one ever tells you anything! 

Thanks Pippa, really appreciate the update.  Indeed nobody ever tells you anything on the majority of cruise lines; we are treated as cargo/idiots.  Can I ask, were you advised before boarding, or did this change come in mid-cruise?  I’m actually pro-infection control so I’m a bit relieved to hear that, but that’s just our stance 🙂

4 hours ago, lahore said:

Thanks Pippa, really appreciate the update.  Indeed nobody ever tells you anything on the majority of cruise lines; we are treated as cargo/idiots.  Can I ask, were you advised before boarding, or did this change come in mid-cruise?  I’m actually pro-infection control so I’m a bit relieved to hear that, but that’s just our stance 🙂

No info before boarding in Fremantle. At that time it was just masks when walking around the ship but protocols have gradually increased. Now spraying communal areas and enhanced cleaning too. Majority of people happy to do what's needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pippa04 said:

No info before boarding in Fremantle. At that time it was just masks when walking around the ship but protocols have gradually increased. Now spraying communal areas and enhanced cleaning too. Majority of people happy to do what's needed.

The fact you received no information regarding a change prior to embarkation could have been due to the developing issue with the Princess ship that had the large number of cases on board on return to Australia from NZ. I think the ships might have got a bit of a fright when that was revealed and changed their protocols accordingly.

Edited by LittleFish1976
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LittleFish1976 said:

The fact you received no information regarding a change prior to embarkation could have been due to the developing issue with the Princess ship that had the large number of cases on board on return to Australia from NZ. I think the ships might have got a bit of a fright when that was revealed and changed their protocols accordingly.

Anyone happen to know how that ship (Majestic Princess) is going on its current sailing?

Without doubt, all being under CCL management.   I am interested to read elsewhere that pax on some CCL lines have been notified in advance, whereas Cunard has not done so to date. 

4 hours ago, lahore said:

Without doubt, all being under CCL management.   I am interested to read elsewhere that pax on some CCL lines have been notified in advance, whereas Cunard has not done so to date. 

They have -  we were notified for our cruise departing BCN on 10 October 

11 hours ago, lissie said:

They have -  we were notified for our cruise departing BCN on 10 October 

I should have said they have not done so for me; I leave in three weeks and have had nothing to date.

5 minutes ago, lahore said:

I should have said they have not done so for me; I leave in three weeks and have had nothing to date.

I think we wee notified within a week or so of departure - it was pretty close I know that 

3 hours ago, lissie said:

I think we wee notified within a week or so of departure - it was pretty close I know that 

Great, useful to know.  Thank you. 

• Like 1

I am in Australia - I got an email from Cunard re our QE cruise leaving Sydney mid - January saying that a negative RAT test was needed before embarkation. Nothing since then and nothing about wearing masks. 

5 hours ago, bazzaw said:

I am in Australia - I got an email from Cunard re our QE cruise leaving Sydney mid - January saying that a negative RAT test was needed before embarkation. Nothing since then and nothing about wearing masks. 

Supervised  with a certificate , or self test  and honesty ?

ON QE at the moment, doing a B2B SYD- SYD, I have received an E Mail for the Fremantle to SYD sector saying masks may be required in some spaces on board, had the same E mail before embarkation in Sydney.

Launderettes on board now closed, was limited to 2 people yesterday, so that would indicate Covid situation is not improveing.  Most people adhering to the mask mandate, staff on hand to give out masks for those who forget to wear one.

Will be interesting to see if any restrictions are lifted after Fremantle, understand approx 800 pax will leave with similar number joining.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Poole Boy said:

ON QE at the moment, doing a B2B SYD- SYD, I have received an E Mail for the Fremantle to SYD sector saying masks may be required in some spaces on board, had the same E mail before embarkation in Sydney.

Launderettes on board now closed, was limited to 2 people yesterday, so that would indicate Covid situation is not improveing.  Most people adhering to the mask mandate, staff on hand to give out masks for those who forget to wear one.

Will be interesting to see if any restrictions are lifted after Fremantle, understand approx 800 pax will leave with similar number joining.

Thank you, that is very interesting.  

On QE now, we have departed Darwin heading for Fremantle, skipping the Bali stop. From Captain Inger, "due to the ongoing rise in community transmission of Covid across Australia and the reflection of this we're seeing on board we're unable to visit Indonesia on this voyage"

We have also been asked to use our designated dining venue to avoid long waits for room service due to increase in number of guests confined to their staterooms.

• Thanks 1