About to book our first MSC cruise. What do I absolutely need to know?

Cathy in Boston

Hi all,

My husband and I had a cruise in Celebrity for 2024 that was cancelled.  We couldn’t rebook with them in the Retreat, so after looking around a bit and doing a ton of research, we decided to book the Yacht Club instead.  I think I’ve spent 3 or 4 hours reading the forums here…I THINK I understand the credit card registration kiosk, understand how what is acceptable to wear and when.  Just wondering is there anything super important that I must know before I book.

Thanks to everyone here in advance!

• Like 1

Once you've tried YC, it will be very difficult to go back to other mainstream lines.  We have done mostly Celebrity and NCL but our last 2 cruises were with MSC because of their pricing (better than both the others for suite level) and we are now completely in love with the product.  After just returning from an MSC cruise a few days days ago, DH and I are concerned that we aren't going to enjoy our upcoming Celebrity cruise.  But we're in a Royal Suite so I guess we'll make it work 😁.  Seriously though, I think you'll find MSC to be pretty easy to navigate.  My only recommendation would be to book via a TA instead of MSC directly.  I've heard their customer service can be pretty frustrating.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 3

And when you book, use a credit card that does not have foreign transaction charges.  Even if you are booking in the US in dollars, it will be processed through a foreign bank, I think in Paris.  Same with the card you use for onboard charges.  EM

• Like 3

We are contemplating booking an MSC cruise from Port Canaveral. Never sailed MSC before, but have sailed many times on both Celebrity and Princess as well as a few with NCL and RCCL. We mostly just book a standard balcony cabin. Anyone know best way to book a standard balcony and not getting an obstructed cabin? 

Maybe one day I'll do a video on this.  But for now.

1. Once your reservation looks more or less like you want it to, don't call customer service as they may mess it up.

2. Best to book drink and dinner packages, all packages really, in advance.  Even better if your cruise includes those things.

3. MSC is quite good about status match.  So if you have status on other cruise lines or hotel chains, give status match a try.

4. Lots of announcements in about 6 languages (English, Italian, French, Spanish, German, Portuguese Brazilian).  Diverse mix of international passengers.

5. If you need something in your cabin, such as Kleenex, washcloths or similar, ask they'll try to accommodate.

6. Try to book Fantastica rather than Bella.  More VC points, better cabins, free (very) basic room service and importantly, one free change (none on Bella).

7. In the past, I'd say staff less friendly than some, but this has improved considerably.

8. Address onboard issues, such as billing, before you leave the ship, as it may be impossible to do later.  Look at your charges carefully before you leave the ship.

9. Entertainment is short and diverse.  You may see rock music, opera, the usual Broadway type shows, just about anything.  We like this format, but it's a bit different.

10. Keep an eye on your booking.  MSC is getting better, but they haven't always done a good job about communicating changes.

I think that 10 tips is enough for now.  I'm sure that others will have plenty of other good suggestions.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

And when you book, use a credit card that does not have foreign transaction charges.  Even if you are booking in the US in dollars, it will be processed through a foreign bank, I think in Paris.  Same with the card you use for onboard charges.  EM

OMG!  Great information!

3 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Lots of announcements in about 6 languages (English, Italian, French, Spanish, German, Portuguese Brazilian).  Diverse mix of international passengers.

This might be dependent upon the port of embarkation and length of cruise.  Our 4 night out of Port Canaveral did all announcements in English only while our 7 nighter out of Miami gave the full compliment of languages.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Once you've tried YC, it will be very difficult to go back to other mainstream lines.  We have done mostly Celebrity and NCL but our last 2 cruises were with MSC because of their pricing (better than both the others for suite level) and we are now completely in love with the product.  After just returning from an MSC cruise a few days days ago, DH and I are concerned that we aren't going to enjoy our upcoming Celebrity cruise.  But we're in a Royal Suite so I guess we'll make it work 😁.  Seriously though, I think you'll find MSC to be pretty easy to navigate.  My only recommendation would be to book via a TA instead of MSC directly.  I've heard their customer service can be pretty frustrating.

Thank you so much for this.  We have always avoided using a TA as we like to keep control of everything…but we have also always wondered if we are making a mistake.  So this will be a good time to try a TA for sure.

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Wow, that’s great information, thank you!

32 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Maybe one day I'll do a video on this.  But for now.

1. Once your reservation looks more or less like you want it to, don't call customer service as they may mess it up.

2. Best to book drink and dinner packages, all packages really, in advance.  Even better if your cruise includes those things.

3. MSC is quite good about status match.  So if you have status on other cruise lines or hotel chains, give status match a try.

4. Lots of announcements in about 6 languages (English, Italian, French, Spanish, German, Portuguese Brazilian).  Diverse mix of international passengers.

5. If you need something in your cabin, such as Kleenex, washcloths or similar, ask they'll try to accommodate.

6. Try to book Fantastica rather than Bella.  More VC points, better cabins, free (very) basic room service and importantly, one free change (none on Bella).

7. In the past, I'd say staff less friendly than some, but this has improved considerably.

8. Address onboard issues, such as billing, before you leave the ship, as it may be impossible to do later.  Look at your charges carefully before you leave the ship.

9. Entertainment is short and diverse.  You may see rock music, opera, the usual Broadway type shows, just about anything.  We like this format, but it's a bit different.

10. Keep an eye on your booking.  MSC is getting better, but they haven't always done a good job about communicating changes.

I think that 10 tips is enough for now.  I'm sure that others will have plenty of other good suggestions.

This is great advice, thank you!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cathy in Boston said:

Thank you so much for this.  We have always avoided using a TA as we like to keep control of everything…but we have also always wondered if we are making a mistake.  So this will be a good time to try a TA for sure.

CC rules wont allow me to tell you who we use but you are welcome to e-mail me if you would like.  pipercatandjane at gmail.com

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

3 hours ago, Cathy in Boston said:

Wow, that’s great information, thank you!

Just booked online at MSC USA website and the deposit was definitely processed in the US, not a foreign bank.  

I have heard that onboard charges on European sailings are processed as foreign transactions.  I won't be able to verify until next October 😪 

3 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Regarding #2, I was not offered a dining package at booking on Monday.  In my plan your cruise section it says not available.  When can I expect something to be available?  This is for a Seashore TA sailing next October.  If I do a mock booking today, the Trilogy package is offered now! 

Regarding the status match, if done before your first booking is made, you will receive Voyagers discount of 5% (or more, at times) on your booking.

There customer service REALLY is awful, but I must be a glutton for punishment because I always book directly with MSC. For my June '23 cruise, after booking with them I turned the booking over to a Boston TA who I am not allowed to mention. His last name is one letter different from lagoon and he specializes in NCL cruises out of Boston.😉

Can someone explain the differences between a yacht club suite and a regular suite? Specifically, do regular suites have access to a private lounge and/or pool area? Do regular suites include drink package and internet? Priority boarding? Any private island benefits? Thanks for any info anyone can provide!

9 minutes ago, Basketball wife said:

Can someone explain the differences between a yacht club suite and a regular suite? Specifically, do regular suites have access to a private lounge and/or pool area? Do regular suites include drink package and internet? Priority boarding? Any private island benefits? Thanks for any info anyone can provide!

Yacht Club suites include the full shebang...wifi, drinks, priority everyting, private sundeck, lounge, restaurant, and thermal suite access.  Then there are Aurea suites (outside of Yacht Club) which have a private sundeck with bar (on the ships I've sailed) and separate restaurant as well, plus entry to the Aurea thermal suite. The added perks of a drinks package and wifi are dependent upon any MSC  specials for Aurea at the time of booking....otherwise they can be added later for an upcharge.

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Yacht Club suites include the full shebang...wifi, drinks, priority everyting, private sundeck, lounge, restaurant, and thermal suite access.  Then there are Aurea suites (outside of Yacht Club) which have a private sundeck with bar (on the ships I've sailed) and separate restaurant as well, plus entry to the Aurea thermal suite. The added perks of a drinks package and wifi are dependent upon any MSC  specials for Aurea at the time of booking....otherwise they can be added later for an upcharge.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did a sailing on Grandiosa a couple months back.  We did sneak into the private Aurea deck area and there was no bar.  Also, to my knowledge, there is not a separate restaurant for Aurea.  However, Aurea guests do get anytime dining. 

21 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Regarding #2, I was not offered a dining package at booking on Monday.  In my plan your cruise section it says not available.  When can I expect something to be available?  This is for a Seashore TA sailing next October.  If I do a mock booking today, the Trilogy package is offered now! 

Regarding the status match, if done before your first booking is made, you will receive Voyagers discount of 5% (or more, at times) on your booking.

When I booked Grandiosa, Trilogy was available for $71 per person ($142 total).  On a cruise next year, I booked it for $100 per person ($200 total).  On a cruise later this year, a discounted dining package was not offered and is not currently offered.  When I call MSC, it's available for $125 per person ($250 total), which is more than double what we paid 2 months ago, so I'll pass on that.  At least I'll get a free specialty restaurant once via Diamond status.

In terms of your specific question, i.e. dinner package not being offered, if you don't care too much about getting the same cabin, you could simply rebook a new reservation and add that Trilogy package at the time of booking.  Maybe hang on to the first reservation until all is in good order and then cancel the first without penalty afterwards.  This assumes that you are in the USA and are outside of the penalty phase. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did a sailing on Grandiosa a couple months back.  We did sneak into the private Aurea deck area and there was no bar.  Also, to my knowledge, there is not a separate restaurant for Aurea.  However, Aurea guests do get anytime dining. 

Was just on Meraviglia and there was a separate area but you are correct...no bar. But on Seashore, there was a bar in the private sundeck area.   As far as separate dining I think I saw Aurea guests going into a different dining room.  I could be/might be wrong so am not above correction.

51 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Was just on Meraviglia and there was a separate area but you are correct...no bar. But on Seashore, there was a bar in the private sundeck area.   As far as separate dining I think I saw Aurea guests going into a different dining room.  I could be/might be wrong so am not above correction.

FWIW, on Grandiosa, we were not Aurea and they were not checking anyone who wanted to go to the Aurea deck.  The door was open and anyone could hang out in that "private area".  We checked it out, but didn't linger.  That said, it was almost empty and if that wasn't the case, perhaps they would step up the enforcement.

From what I can see, the Aurea area on Seashore looks nicer than on the other MSC ships and does have a bar.  Grandiosa isn't all that much older, but is more limited.  We have an Aurea Suite on World Europa next year, so it will be interesting to see what their setup is for Aurea guests.

Pretty sure about the restaurant situation.  Anytime dining, but not a special restaurant.  That said, I believe that MSC usually assigns anytime dining to one specific restaurant, so perhaps that's where the confusion comes in.

Here's a list of Aurea benefits, for anyone interested.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/cruise/experiences-staterooms#3C05B605-90A7-4FDA-979A-7856E2B9CE87

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I was just looking at some other posts and there could be some truth to what you wrote.

From what I can gather, depending on the ship, they may dedicate one of the standard restaurants to MyTime dining (only) and of course all Aurea guests do receive that, for better or worse.  It would, however, have the same menu as the other public restaurants.

So I don't think it's akin to Celebrity's Blu for Aqua Spa guests, which has different food options.  But I think it would be a good idea for MSC to consider something similar (dedicated Aurea restaurant with unique menus).

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Basketball wife said:

Thanks for the info! I will go Yacht Club!

Be aware that deposits for YC are NON Refundable. 
Regardless of when you decide to cancel. 

You are allowed only 1 change if you change your mind on where to sail.

Outside YC, deposits have a fully refundable schedule until final payment.

• Like 1