Have you used their shampoo to handwash clothes in the sink? Results?

oyme

Just curious if anyone's ever used Carnival's bodywash/shampoo to handwash clothes in the sink? We're bringing a toddler who is messy... I might need to wash a clothing item in the sink. I'd rather not pack liquid laundry detergent (besides pods, we're bringing laundry pods in case we need to do a full load but I'm thinking if we have 1 item that needs a quick wash in the sink) Thanks! For reference I was doing some Googling and I read that in a pinch shampoo and soap work okay to handwash items in sink but to never ever use dish soap. So I was wondering specifically about the provided shampoo/body wash Carnival has.

I take EZE Wash sheets and cut them in half to use when washing items in the sink. Just a heads up, on one of our cruises, the bathroom sink drain plug didn’t have a very tight seal so the water slowly drained out. I remedied that by buying small drain plugs to bring along. Of course, I didn't need the extra plug on my next trip because the sink plug worked!

I haven’t used the ship shampoo or body wash for washing clothes but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

• Like 1

Non-concentrated Dawn is safe on clothes.  I don't known if they even make it anymore.  I buy every bottle a store has if it is ever on the shelf.

I don't know about shampoo or shower gel, but these work.  They are currently $1.39 for a 3pk in the Bed Bath and Beyond travel toiletry section, $1.11 with one of their 20% off coupons.  If the store allows you to group multiple items together to reach $15 to use the $5 off $15 coupon, each 3pk would be $0.94(11 sets).

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/tide-3-count-travel-liquid-detergent-sink-packets/1014376747?brandId=2397

20221119_222128.jpg

Edited by Tiger0613
  • Like 3

What's funny is I ordered the Tide sink packs but then cancelled my order as I was Googling since I read I could use shampoo. I might just plan to use shampoo and give it a try, I was curious if anyone had tried it but if I'm the first I can report back. 🙂 I'm thinking the less I have to pack the better because we have so much luggage already. It's a problem. I should add, I am taking dish soap, though, to wash our water bottles. That's a huge priority so I can just make sure it's the proper kind of dish soap for clothes washing.

Edited by oyme

4 minutes ago, oyme said:

the proper kind of dish soap for clothes washing.

By safe, I mean I have never had any damage using non-concentrated Dawn.  My mom and I randomly found our last two batches(we shared) at Ollie's Bargain Outlet.  This was a few years after every major store in Baton Rouge stopped carrying non-concentrated Dawn in any size.

I used the shampoo provided in the showers to wash out the t-shirts and shorts I wore to the gym on a cruise (doing a full machine cycle for two pairs of shorts and two t-shirts always feels like a waste of water and energy to me), without any problems. Just don't use too much shampoo and rinse well.

• Like 1

Done it in past especially when DS was younger and we came back from beach excursion.  Would hand wash all of our bathing suits (after shaking out the sand of course) and hang them to dry in bathroom shower.  Worked fine and I may have even done some other small items along the way.  You should be good.  

I travel with some liquid laundry detergent in a old hotel shampoo bottle. It's a very small bottle and holds just enough in case of a laundry emergency. If your bathroom sink stopper doesn't work, have housekeeping fix it for you. I wear contact lenses that must be rinsed daily - I have had to have the sink plug fixed because otherwise my contact might go down the drain. Believe it or not, it's one of the things I check as soon as we get in our cabin. 

41 minutes ago, mz-s said:

If you know you are going to need to wash clothes in your bathroom sink, I don't know why it's even a question to pack some of those Tide packets.

The dyes in shampoo can stain clothes.

Another reason would be the fact I have a toddler so it's one more thing to try and make sure she won't ingest. Obviously I will try and keep that stuff away from her / watch her closely (but all it takes is a second, seriously) but at home it's definitely easier to keep chemicals/unsafe liquids up high or locked. Shampoo is definitely safer. Tide comes in such a fun colored pouch definitely eye catching to a toddler. My daughter is more of a concern than my son was at her age, she is more mischevious and just loves getting into stuff she shouldn't.

1 hour ago, mar214 said:

I travel with some liquid laundry detergent in a old hotel shampoo bottle. It's a very small bottle and holds just enough in case of a laundry emergency. If your bathroom sink stopper doesn't work, have housekeeping fix it for you. I wear contact lenses that must be rinsed daily - I have had to have the sink plug fixed because otherwise my contact might go down the drain. Believe it or not, it's one of the things I check as soon as we get in our cabin. 

I was thinking that when I read the comment about the sink plug not working, I was thinking maintenance could fix.

1 hour ago, Drazil65 said:

Done it in past especially when DS was younger and we came back from beach excursion.  Would hand wash all of our bathing suits (after shaking out the sand of course) and hang them to dry in bathroom shower.  Worked fine and I may have even done some other small items along the way.  You should be good.  

Thanks!

8 hours ago, RobertL88 said:

I used the shampoo provided in the showers to wash out the t-shirts and shorts I wore to the gym on a cruise (doing a full machine cycle for two pairs of shorts and two t-shirts always feels like a waste of water and energy to me), without any problems. Just don't use too much shampoo and rinse well.

My thoughts exactly, if it's just an item or 2 no point doing a full load, ty. 🙂

And I would like to add one more idea I learned here on CC and it is so helpful: I bought some old-fashioned wooden clothespins. When you want to hang something up to dry, I use the clothespins and use the line in the shower. I now always travel with clothespins. I love the way CruiseCritic readers share their great ideas!!! 

• Like 4

I just use the dawn, I keep some in a travel bottle. The dawn is also good for washing eye glasses. It does a better job than the eye packets or sprays.  Never realized it until one of the techs at my eye doctor told me.

• Like 1

As others, have done that with some non-cotton workout clothes.  No issues.

Another tip...pack some old clothes (or clothes you don't like) that you can basically wear 1-2 times then trash.  Have done that with an old sun shirt and baseball cap...wore them on two excursions then trash.  Trashed an older pair of swim trunks at the end of the a cruise.  Same with some old running shoes on three different cruises. 

Edited by Badfinger
  • Like 2

I've used the body wash when we ran out of Tide travel packs. Works fine. Their body wash doesn't have a very strong or lingering fragrance either, I think, so if your toddler is sensitive to that it should also not be an issue I assume. 

Our experience unlike the drain plug not working was that the drain pull didn't have the knob to grab onto to pull it up. Maintenance came and just bent the end into a 90-degrees turn.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CruiserLucas said:

I've used the body wash when we ran out of Tide travel packs. Works fine. Their body wash doesn't have a very strong or lingering fragrance either, I think, so if your toddler is sensitive to that it should also not be an issue I assume. 

Our experience unlike the drain plug not working was that the drain pull didn't have the knob to grab onto to pull it up. Maintenance came and just bent the end into a 90-degrees turn.

yep so many using the shampoo, but the greenbody wash they provide is much better imo. 

Edited by seaman11

On 11/21/2022 at 7:36 PM, seaman11 said:

yep so many using the shampoo, but the greenbody wash they provide is much better imo. 

I will try that, then. I was thinking they used an all-in-one product like shampoo/bodywash combined and I couldn't rememeber the colors of any of it either. Last time we sailed was 2019, I just could not remember the products they provided at all, lol. Thank you all for your help.

Crazy the products they use aren't clear colored, though.

Edited by oyme
  • Like 1

The shampoo is fine to use. It is mostly water and a surfactant, mostly sodium lauryl sulfate. There is some silicone and  glycols too. This is based on my sniffer, I have not seen a label. A small amount works fine on clothes. I might suggest a wipe with sanitizer or alcohol of the sink prior to using it as a wash tub is a good idea. You would be amazed what is growing there.