The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday November 20th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Peanut Butter Fudge Day, Transgender Day of Remembrance, and International Hug a Runner Day

Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet.--Plato

Meal Suggestion for today - Butternut Mole Enchiladas
Drink of the Day - Basil Haydens Golden Hour
Wine of the Day - Hartford Court 2018 Land's Edge Vineyards Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast)
Destination of the Day - Gisborne, New Zealand

Eurodam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico eta 11/21

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caic eta 11/21

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles eta 11/22

Rotterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Sea Day Destination Philipsburg, Sint Maarten Eta 11/22

Zaandam

Durban, South Africa 08:00 - 23:00

Zuiderdam

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera 07:00 - 16:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Darwin, Australia eta 11/24

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Sydney, NSW Australia

1120World.thumb.png.1a8b01916311b1d6057a036bd0a5cbe0.png

1120Caribbean.thumb.png.8649fff92d426c573a41a9870cbf83c3.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12

Happy Sunday from Pier 21.  I will preview the Sunday lists before shutting down my big laptop.

Today’s care list:

Kazu severe foot injury
Ottahand7 Brother in rehab
Terri’s next door neighbor Joanne with stroke and complications
Jazzyv digestive issues
Cruisin Terri continuing autoimmune flareup
From the rotation:
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking
cruisin single step-son with double cancer and months of recovery before kidney removal
Quartzite Cruiser DH in rehab
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Alianchief in California
Welcome home Norseh2o, Kazu , 0106, jimgev, Heartgrove and ger_77
7 days for Ichiban Nekko and Himself (Nieuw Statendam 11/26 to 12/3)
Bon Voyage Cruise Suzy, Lazey1, and HAL Lover (Rotterdam 11/20 to 11/30)
GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam 11/19 to 11/26) StLouisCruiser  and Summer Slope (Volendam 11/19 to 12/17) at sea
Welcome home RednckBob and CrazyForCats                              
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam 11/19 to 1/14/23), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 17

Basil Haydens Golden Hour cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Basil Hayden's® Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
3/4 part Lillet Blanc
3/4 part Aperol® Aperitif
Garnish: Grapefruit Peel

Instructions
Combine ingredients over ice in a mixing glass and stir until well chilled. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass over a large ice cube. Garnish with a grapefruit peel.

Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 6.41.00 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 8

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Another day, another snow squall warning.  We have at least 40 cm (16inches) of snow on the ground and more to come.  It's windy too.  Bertie doesn't mind, but I have to bundle up before we go for a walk.  The Toronto Argos and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers are playing for the Grey Cup this evening.

Peanut butter fudge sounds great - I'll have to google a recipe and hope I have the ingredients.  It's a good day to stay in and make tasty treats.

I love the quote.

The meal sounds good too, something spicy to warm us up.  Looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Prayers for everyone.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.  

Stay warm and stay safe.

• Like 24

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! It is very cloudy here this morning and rain is expected throughout the day. 

Roy welcome home - thank you again for keeping our lists while cruising.  @summer slope Dixie, thank you for take our drink du jour on location with you. I hope you, DH, Sandi @StLouisCruisers & Dennis all have an amazing journey!

Gym, Aldi, floor cleaning, and Bindi walks (dodging the rain) are in my future.

Here is the solution for protecting your Christmas tree from curious critters… you can thank me later.😎

243784E2-479E-4A29-A596-1A58F0A18990.jpeg.1b40aa916365e0eadca0aa42184f0d47.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Hartford Court 2018 Land's Edge Vineyards Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast)

This Pinot Noir sounds interesting and I would love a taste.  But even if it was slightly better than my two favorites it costs at least twice as much as they do! All released vintages share the same excellent ratings. It is available from several online distributors with prices starting at $39.95. 

Winemaker Notes

The 2018 Land's Edge Pinot Noir leads with aromas of red and black cherry, pomegranate, and dried rose petals. The layered flavors of dark berries, plum, and licorice lead to a mid-palate with an elegant and polished texture. The wine ends with a lingering mocha and mineral finish.
WE95 Wine Enthusiast
From two vineyard sites just a few miles from the Pacific Ocean, this wine is juicy in cranberry and pomegranate. Lifted accents of white pepper, orange peel and rose add complexity and nuance to the robust frame.
JD95 Jeb Dunnuck

The 2018 Pinot Noir Land's Edge Vineyards is another Sonoma Coast release from this great producer. Medium ruby/purple-hued, with an exotic bouquet of black cherries, blueberries, candied violets, and flowery incense, it hits the palate with medium-bodied richness, a juicy, racy mouthfeel, supple tannins, and a great finish. It will benefit from a year in bottle and drink brilliantly through at least 2030.

WS94 Wine Spectator

A refined and minerally style, with lithe acidity supporting well-knit flavors of cherry and raspberry. The plush finish lingers with creamy accents and plenty of spicy and toasty notes. Drink now through 2026. 

RP92 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
The 2018 Pinot Noir Land’s Edge Vineyards was aged for 10 months in French oak barrels, 31% new. Pale to medium ruby-purple colored, it bursts from the glass with bold expressions of black cherries, mulberries and wild blueberries plus suggestions of tobacco leaf, fragrant earth and lilacs. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is jam-packed with freshly crushed red and blue fruits, supported by grainy tannins and bold freshness, finishing on a lingering mineral note.
W&S91 Wine & Spirits
Oak enriches this wineâ??s creamy texture and provides the base notes while the fruit shimmers on top. Itâ??s a powerful pinot with enough brisk structure and high-toned fruit to carry all the richness.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 10

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Not a chamber of commerce day here, cool and breezy with some showers, high of only 70.

I think I get the quote.

I love fudge and I love peanut butter but I'm not wild about peanut butter fudge.

I like enchiladas so would give the meal a try.

I'll pass on the drink.

Bought a new bike yesterday but had to make some adjustments when I got it home, wanted to take a nice ride today but not in this weather.

Thanks for The Daily, everyone stay well and have a great day.

• Like 22

30 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

A bit concerned we haven't heard anything from @kazu.  It looks like our disembarkation is running a bit late.

Roy signing off  for now.

Welcome back, hope you had a great cruise, we sail 2 weeks from today on the Nieuw Amsterdam, don't know what to expect with reviews all over the place on the HAL boards.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 21

Good morning everyone.it’s 31 degrees now at 8:30. This is the time of year we would be getting ready to leave for Florida, but our traveling days are over since Sam’ stroke. I’ve been planning some game playing at the club house just to be able to get out, and watching TV on Netflix.  Life is boring but I’ll take boring for now.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 25

Good Sunday morning, it is cold and rainy here in Hilton Head.

Just checking in real quick.

Heading down to Jacksonville for an appointment at the Mayo Clinic tomorrow.

it is almost welcome to go there and sleep on a decent bed instead of the one in this dumpy apartment.

Thank you Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report and for the lists.

Hope everyone has a great day.,

Terri

• Like 24

Thank you for the Daily Fleet Report!  I will pass on the drink, the food and the wine.  I've never been to today's port.  

Grey Cup is later, but first...  dh will be watching all the pregame shows.  He is also making himself a small pot of chili.  I on't know what I will be having, but it won't be dh's chili.  He likes heat in his food.   I will be spending time in my library doing  counted cross stitch. 

• Like 21

Good morning, everyone!

It is a frigid 15F here in mid-Michigan.  Right now it is sunny and bright, but it is supposed to cloud over by noon.  HIgh temp today is 26F.  Once a month the city has large item pickup.  You put what you need to get rid of on the curb and they take it away.  So, today's job is to move the 300 kitty litter containers to the curb along with some boxes. The kitty litter is courtesy of the previous owners.  

Today's meal looks really good to me.  Probably too high in carbs for me, but it still looks good. These butternut squash/black bean enchiladas are very versatile.  Switch out the squash if you like.  Do the same with the beans.  You can even add chicken it you'd like.  Make it vegan using a vegan cheese. https://www.feastingathome.com/butternut-mole-enchiladas/

1139012350_butternutmoleenchiladas1.jpg.adbff6ac5bc6e61e2d73e017faf1f17f.jpg

Here's one with chicken if you're a carnivore like me.  https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/mole-enchiladas/

1596919952_butternutmoleenchiladas3.thumb.jpg.64b88ea893bcece471785cc9584ff811.jpg

Now this sounds really interesting.  The filling is the butternut squash and black beans, but the mole sauce is made with Guinness.  That I have to try.   https://eatingaway.com/2020/03/03/marriage-of-convenience-butternut-and-black-bean-enchiladas-with-guinness-stout-mole/

1868303906_butternutmoleenchiladas4.jpg.d05da784b19d914aac171bbcd2fcb9e7.jpg

All that gooey cheese is calling my name.  Wishing everyone a great day and here's hoping our travelers returning have had a safe trip home.  And for our travelers setting out, take lots of pictures and check in often.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 10

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning from the Nieuw Amsterdam.  Thanks for the daily fleet report.  Just waiting to dock and catch the plane to get home.

Safe travels to you both, Jake.  Hope your disembarkation is much smoother than mine 🤞 Miami is a mess to disembark from.  Terminal was completely backed up slowing down disembarkation and luggage could be on any one of 4 different belts.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

A bit concerned we haven't heard anything from @kazu.  It looks like our disembarkation is running a bit late.

Sorry, I’m behind this morning, Roy.   Hope your disembarkation is smooth and wishing you safe travels.

Way behind here.  By the time I got home it was very, very late and I was beat.  the airline put the finishing touch on the flights by losing my luggage.  I know where it is but Lord knows when the airline retrieves it and sends it here.  It’s not on this morning’s flight.

I was going to live out of my luggage for a few days to avoid going upstairs but it looks like that’s not going to be possible.  I’ll figure it out.

it’s way too cold here and I was greeted with snow and freezing rain last night or should I say early this morning? 😉 

Thankfully, my kind neighbours picked up bread and eggs for me so I can just stay home and rest the stupid foot.

Have a great day everyone !

• Like 23
  • Thanks 10

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

Happy Sunday from Pier 21.  I will preview the Sunday lists before shutting down my big laptop.

Today’s care list:

Kazu severe foot injury
Ottahand7 Brother in rehab
Terri’s next door neighbor Joanne with stroke and complications
Jazzyv digestive issues
Cruisin Terri continuing autoimmune flareup
From the rotation:
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking
cruisin single step-son with double cancer and months of recovery before kidney removal
Quartzite Cruiser DH in rehab
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Alianchief in California
Welcome home Norseh2o, Kazu , 0106, jimgev, Heartgrove and ger_77
7 days for Ichiban Nekko and Himself (Nieuw Statendam 11/26 to 12/3)
Bon Voyage Cruise Suzy, Lazey1, and HAL Lover (Rotterdam 11/20 to 11/30)
GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam 11/19 to 11/26) StLouisCruiser  and Summer Slope (Volendam 11/19 to 12/17) at sea
Welcome home RednckBob and CrazyForCats                              
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam 11/19 to 1/14/23), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

Welcome back to Florida Roy.  Probably not your best voyage, but hope it was enjoyable.  Weather is always a variable.  Your ship certainly had the pedal to the metal, or at least full speed ahead!  Holland America needs to change those high speed runs to more economical runs rather than cut services, IMHO.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good cold and cloudy morning. The drive thru turkey dinner was good. I’m sure people donated generously. 
Safe travels home to all today. @Crazy For Cats, not sure when you’re headed this way , but good weather beginning of week, next weekend is rainy. I hope the cats welcome you home with open paws.

We are planning on going to PA this weekend.  Visiting my family on Thursday and his on Friday.  Drive home on Saturday after a Shady Maple run.  All depending on if we caught something on the cruise.   So far so good.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a frigid and windy (north wind) central Texas.  It was 29F  when I got up a little while ago.  Yesterday, DH's BP had one big drop, but he had been working hard on one of the machines.   Later, the BP was not as low, but still low for him.  He still managed to get in several PT sessions.  The therapists are working around the BP issue to keep him making progress.

On the way home yesterday, I picked up the new tire.  Boy am I glad our neighborhood service station can mount the tire on the new wheel and put it on the car when the wheel comes in.  The tire store in Waco was a zoo.  There was a long line of cars circling the parking lot waiting to have the work they paid for done.  I can think of better ways to spend my time.

Peanut butter fudge is not on my list of treats, so I'll let others celebrate the day.  The other two days are worth celebrating.

I like the quote from Plato.

The meal might be worth trying, but I might add chicken for the carnivores in the family.  Younger DD gave me a recipe for black bean enchiladas that is very good.  I'll pass on the drink, but would like to try the wine, which costs more than my cardbordeaux Pinot Noir.

We have not been to Gisborne, NZ, and Sandi, @StLouisCruisers, indicated they have not been there either.  It was the destination of the day on February 21, 2022.  Here is the link to Rich's @richwmn post that day.

@kazu  Jacqui, sorry your disembarkation was not hassle free and glad you arrived home safely but very late.  Too bad the air line lost your luggage.  How nice of your neighbors to pick up some groceries for you.  Hope the foot is better soon..

@richwmn  Rich, thank you for reposting @rafinmd Roy's lists from yesterday's Daily.

@rafinmd  Safe travels home, Roy.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, I hope you and your DH have a safe trip home.

@cat shepard  Ann, I'm glad we will not need to use a fence to protect our tree from cats.  🤣

@mamaofami  Carol, I can't believe the temperatures in Jersey are slightly warmer than ours in central Texas.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, safe travels to Jacksonville, and I hope you get a good report from the doctors.

@dfish  Debbie, how nice of the previous owners to leave you 300 kitty litter containers.  😉

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4