QM2 Dress Code

Ladycommonsense

2 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

On Gala Nights do you have to follow the theme  or is a suit and tie  ok ?

Coming up to our fist time on Cunard

Cheers Don

Theme nights [e.g. Masquerade ] are observed mostly in the Queens Room.

Suit and tie are fine for Gala / Formal nights 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

Theme nights [e.g. Masquerade ] are observed mostly in the Queens Room.

Suit and tie are fine for Gala / Formal nights 

Though, more or less by accident, I suspect, if there is a black and white theme, that is widely adhered to more or less everywhere, simply because it’s what the men are wearing anyway, and lots of women have a black dress.

• Like 1

You’ll be fine in a dark suit and tie.  Don’t agree though that the gala night theme is mostly observed in the Queens Room.  On QV last week the roaring twenties theme was wholeheartedly entered into by very many people who we later saw in numerous areas other than at the gala ball.

The Ballroom is the part of the ship where the vast majority of participants will congregate.

Out of two and a half thousand pax, fewer than 10% will bother (with the exception of the B&W).

Most, like us will continue as normal, whether QM2, QE or QV.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RedMeerkat said:

You’ll be fine in a dark suit and tie.  Don’t agree though that the gala night theme is mostly observed in the Queens Room.  On QV last week the roaring twenties theme was wholeheartedly entered into by very many people who we later saw in numerous areas other than at the gala ball.

I love dressing up and will be going to dinner, evening entertainment and the Queens Room in my “outfits” 

I make the most of every moment…..and thoroughly enjoy myself 

I know some people don’t like to take part but equally that’s fine

2 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

The Ballroom is the part of the ship where the vast majority of participants will congregate.

Out of two and a half thousand pax, fewer than 10% will bother (with the exception of the B&W).

Most, like us will continue as normal, whether QM2, QE or QV.

I am sure everyone will look wonderful whether you participate in the Gala/Masquerade or any other event night in “costume” or normal (if you know what I mean)

10% that is low 

i have not done a world cruise before so hoping there will be participants 

21 minutes ago, Tillypops said:

I am sure everyone will look wonderful whether you participate in the Gala/Masquerade or any other event night in “costume” or normal (if you know what I mean)

10% that is low 

i have not done a world cruise before so hoping there will be participants 

My impression on our two cruises this year has been rather more than 10% in the restaurants. Red and gold is another easy one - for women at any rate - and many wore a dress with red or gold.

I (American) just returned from a crossing on the QM2 and am passing along this bit of dress code info that I learned from my English and Australian tablemates:  "Masquerade" does not mean to wear full costume, e.g. a chef, Star Trek, etc - instead, normal formal wear is worn with a mask.  My tablemates described people on the prior segment who had not understood that and wore a full chef's outfit and someone else who wore a Star Trek captain's costume, among others.  These folks were perplexed why people kept looking and asking why they were dressed up....  I wear gowns on the formal aka gala nights instead of following the themes (except B&W) so never paid attention to the "Masquerade" theme.  Just a bit of info for those who wonder what "Masquerade" entails.

• Haha 3

Why would anyone not just read Cunard’s very clear guidance on what they mean by Masquerade?  I agree it was far more than 10% in the restaurant taking part (late sitting) on QV recently.  Also note that the Gala ball starts during late dinner sitting so you miss a fair chunk of it if enjoying your dinner fully!

exlondoner - red and gold is super easy for men too.  Just wear a red bow tie and gold waistcoat or cummerbund.  Men have it way too easy with the same old dinner jacket on formal nights anyway 😉

Edited by RedMeerkat