QM2 Dress Code

Ladycommonsense

Apologies if this has been covered before but I am new to Cunard …..   I have done over 100 cruises with P&O over the last 40 years and sadly it is now time to look further afield for my adventures. I am keen to go on the QM2 and do a half-world joining in Sydney. I have so many questions as although I have cruised for many years I feel like a Newby coming to Cunard! First and foremost is the dress code; over the years P&O have got rid of all the formal events - even the black and white night, so now they just do two celebration nights in a 2-week Cruise, so my question is how many formal nights are there on QM2 cruises and are there any other theme nights of interest? And importantly what is the acceptable standard of dress on QM2 - I’m really hoping it’s not jeans and T-shirts in the dining room at  lunchtime… 

2 hours ago, Ladycommonsense said:

Apologies if this has been covered before but I am new to Cunard …..   I have done over 100 cruises with P&O over the last 40 years and sadly it is now time to look further afield for my adventures. I am keen to go on the QM2 and do a half-world joining in Sydney. I have so many questions as although I have cruised for many years I feel like a Newby coming to Cunard! First and foremost is the dress code; over the years P&O have got rid of all the formal events - even the black and white night, so now they just do two celebration nights in a 2-week Cruise, so my question is how many formal nights are there on QM2 cruises and are there any other theme nights of interest? And importantly what is the acceptable standard of dress on QM2 - I’m really hoping it’s not jeans and T-shirts in the dining room at  lunchtime… 

Oh dear - that’s a shame. I thought people would make an effort - and I don’t see jeans as ‘making an effort’ but perhaps that’s just me.

• Like 1

Just now, Ladycommonsense said:

Oh dear - that’s a shame. I thought people would make an effort - and I don’t see jeans as ‘making an effort’ but perhaps that’s just me.

Cunard's dress code is on paper very similiar to P&O.  However after 6pm I think Cunard guests do make more of an effort  it's more like P&O was like 5 years ago. Smart casual is generally smart . Cunard do have 2 formal nights per week, where most people make a real effort. 

The official dress code is wear what you're comfortable with in the day (swimwear excluded). I don't think you will find a cruise line where people dress up for lunch. Jeans are perfectly acceptable at lunch. 

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Cunard's dress code is on paper very similiar to P&O.  However after 6pm I think Cunard guests do make more of an effort  it's more like P&O was like 5 years ago. Smart casual is generally smart . Cunard do have 2 formal nights per week, where most people make a real effort. 

The official dress code is wear what you're comfortable with in the day (swimwear excluded). I don't think you will find a cruise line where people dress up for lunch. Jeans are perfectly acceptable at lunch. 

Thank you so much - very helpful. 

21 minutes ago, Ladycommonsense said:

A cruise is a holiday. Even resort five * hotels  have denim wearing guests during the day. That doesn't mean the evenings on QM2 aren't glammed up affairs for those who want to ''dress''. It just means the day time isn't stuffy. 🙂

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

A cruise is a holiday. Even resort five * hotels  have denim wearing guests during the day. That doesn't mean the evenings on QM2 aren't glammed up affairs for those who want to ''dress''. It just means the day time isn't stuffy. 🙂

The evenings on QM 2 are not just “glammed up affairs for those who want  to “dress” “.  They are for everyone — all of whom booked knowing that they were expected to “dress”.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The evenings on QM 2 are not just “glammed up affairs for those who want  to “dress” “.  They are for everyone — all of whom booked knowing that they were expected to “dress”.

Forgive me, but not every single passenger wishes 'to dress''. For those who do, the opportunity is there.

For those who don't, there are areas of the ship where they can go.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Forgive me, but not every single passenger wishes 'to dress''. For those who do, the opportunity is there.

For those who don't, there are areas of the ship where they can go.  

My point was /is I don’t want to be anywhere where people are slovenly in their dress.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ladycommonsense said:

My point was /is I don’t want to be anywhere where people are slovenly in their dress.

I am quite aware of the point of your enquiry.

The comment you quoted was not addressed to you.

My reply to you explained my take on Cunard dress. During the day, vacation wear can rule and that includes jeans. Blue denim in my case as well as white denim. You may call it slovenly. I prefer to call it vacation wear.

Come the evening, I will scrub up more than most passengers although my figure does not lend itself to  lithe couture. Not all passengers will wish to dress for dinner or indeed., the evening but they are vastly outnumbered, by those who do and in any case, there are a few areas of the ship where those who choose not to follow any suggested evening codes, can go.

If you don't want to be near those who choose not 'to dress'. then stay away from those areas. During the day however, you're pretty much up the creek without a paddle as jeans are ''allowed'' anywhere on the ship!

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 12:48 PM, Ladycommonsense said:

Glad to see at least one person who finds gardening clothing to be outre for Cunard. But then the last time I owned a pair of jeans was when I was 15 and that was 68 years ago. Oddly I have survived and thrived with nary a pair of jeans and only white T shirts that I wear under my dress shirts.

On 11/20/2022 at 3:40 PM, Ladycommonsense said:

Now that could be a serious issue as many believe that casual attire comes in many many degrees from Bubba's BBQ elegance to The Breaker's In Palm Beach. Having said that, the ship is large enough that one can easily distance themselves from people that you personally find disagreeable. Dress as you feel comfortable, I know that I do no matter where I am, on shore or on board.

7 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Glad to see at least one person who finds gardening clothing to be outre for Cunard. But then the last time I owned a pair of jeans was when I was 15 and that was 68 years ago. Oddly I have survived and thrived with nary a pair of jeans and only white T shirts that I wear under my dress shirts.

Luckily, the more worldly members of Cunard's clientele are well versed in modern dress and are aware jeans, preferably the non sliced variety but that's just my pickiness, whilst not necessarily great garments for gardening, are most definitely part of daytime vacation wear from ultra luxury resort hotels to humble shacks on the beach and so are perfectly acceptable vacation day time wear on Cunard ships, none of which are in the ultra  luxury category.

• Like 4

On 11/20/2022 at 6:43 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Fully agree. In fact I'm a trifle suspicious about this whole thread: particularly when My wife and I have cruised almost as many times with P&O as we have with Cunard.