QM2 Dress Code

Ladycommonsense

On 11/20/2022 at 4:30 PM, Ladycommonsense said:

Apologies if this has been covered before but I am new to Cunard …..   I have done over 100 cruises with P&O over the last 40 years and sadly it is now time to look further afield for my adventures. I am keen to go on the QM2 and do a half-world joining in Sydney. I have so many questions as although I have cruised for many years I feel like a Newby coming to Cunard! First and foremost is the dress code; over the years P&O have got rid of all the formal events - even the black and white night, so now they just do two celebration nights in a 2-week Cruise, so my question is how many formal nights are there on QM2 cruises and are there any other theme nights of interest? And importantly what is the acceptable standard of dress on QM2 - I’m really hoping it’s not jeans and T-shirts in the dining room at  lunchtime… 

As one whose majority of cruising has been with Cunard and P&O (Cunard commenced 1990 and P&O 1998)  I'd say I'm somewhat qualified to assess both the merits and differences of each line over the years - particularly in dress codes.

Both my wife and I have enjoyed the formality of both and while we recognise both have adapted to new descriptions of the 'traditional' formal nights of yesteryear, in reality little has changed.

Indeed, when sailing on Iona, last year - not exactly a ship one would claim as traditional P&O - we were delighted to note the high numbers of those making the effort - no matter what the evening 'dress code' was promulgated as. 

1712190166_RBFormalNightGrandAtrium.thumb.jpg.8c8e34d5c811c2bbd4bca1e1e4dc29ec.jpg

Remember, its not the cruise lines that flaunt the recommended dress code, it's their passengers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Remember, its not the cruise lines that flaunt the recommended dress code, it's their passengers

Interesting, I think you may mean flout, but flaunt works equally well, though opposite in meaning.😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Luckily, the more worldly members of Cunard's clientele are well versed in modern dress and are aware jeans, preferably the non sliced variety but that's just my pickiness, whilst not necessarily great garments for gardening, are most definitely part of daytime vacation wear from ultra luxury resort hotels to humble shacks on the beach and so are perfectly acceptable vacation day time wear on Cunard ships, none of which are in the ultra  luxury category.

Glad to know that wearing jeans is considered worldly. The marketers of so called fashion will be happy to know how easy it is to sell people of being under dressed when the conveyor offers liveried staff and fine dining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lakesregion said:

Glad to know that wearing jeans is considered worldly. The marketers of so called fashion will be happy to know how easy it is to sell people of being under dressed when the conveyor offers liveried staff and fine dining.

I blame/credit Levi Strauss.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

I like you have never worn a jean, but there is really nothing objectionable or contrary to any dress code to wearing (preferably clean and smart, as with all garments) jeans during the day, and it is perverse to pretend otherwise. It is completely different in the evening, if you want to enjoy all the ships amenities.

Firstly  the dress code says wear what you are comfortable with in the day,  so that includes jeans for both sexes.

My biased opinion ,  nothing to do with worldliness. 

Jeans look nice if you are young or have still got your younger figure, up to a point

However , one great comedy sketch was the man from Levi approaching Jeremy  Clarkson (lookalike) who at first thought he was offering money to advertise jeans, but he was offering money to stop wearing them. 

Even though I'm  6 ft and still 34 waist, my wife tells me I'm  to old for jeans , who am I to argue.  You see Tony Blair (who) in jeans and you think , you're  no longer a student. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Firstly  the dress code says wear what you are comfortable with in the day,  so that includes jeans for both sexes.

My biased opinion ,  nothing to do with worldliness. 

Jeans look nice if you are young or have still got your younger figure, up to a point

However , one great comedy sketch was the man from Levi approaching Jeremy  Clarkson (lookalike) who at first thought he was offering money to advertise jeans, but he was offering money to stop wearing them. 

Even though I'm  6 ft and still 34 waist, my wife tells me I'm  to old for jeans , who am I to argue.  You see Tony Blair (who) in jeans and you think , you're  no longer a student. 

On the other hand, if we were all restricted to wearing clothes that are flattering, some of us would never be able to set foot outside our cabins.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Interesting, I think you may mean flout, but flaunt works equally well, though opposite in meaning.😀

20 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

On the other hand, if we were all restricted to wearing clothes that are flattering, some of us would never be able to set foot outside our cabins.

Either or. Take your pick, you obviously got the Geest (Gist 😉 )

47 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Double chuckle. 😂😉

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

The conveyor you mention is primarily a holiday ship, albeit a liner and if the presence of liveried staff and fine dining, although sushi or a salad for lunch however lovely the surroundings and well dressed the staff doesn't constitute fine dining for me, gives the need to imagine the ship is akin to a modern day Downton Abby set, then fine.

Luckily, those who those who appreciate the Cunard uniform but realise it's just part of  ''the show''  have a more easy going  approach to their vacation and realise the world [Cunard in this case] is theirs to relax and enjoy as they wish during the day with the added bonus of dressing for dinner, fine dining or spag bol from the galley!

You and I will never agree but it's fun disagreeing with you. 🙂🙂

On 11/20/2022 at 8:40 PM, Ladycommonsense said:

My point was /is I don’t want to be anywhere where people are slovenly in their dress.

I have been on all Queens I find everyone dressed appropriately.  People dress casually during the day, and nice jeans are perfectly acceptable at lunchtime. I have never seen anyone who gave the impression of having been gardening. 

Also as for formal wear, I love to dress up, but some ladies, either because of circumstances or other reasons, mine being that I am partially disabled due to an accident and also being upper age and a little plump, would certainly not suit a ballgown etc so for me it's velvet or wide leg evening trousers with a flowy glitzy top and perhaps a bit more make up or bling than usual.   I have never ever felt underdressed on formal nights and to be honest lots of ladies were wearing very similar to me.   I love the ball gowns etc on other ladies and often tell them so.

I'm just packing for QV next week, and can't wait.  I have packed a couple of posh kind of track suits  to mix and max for just strolling  or wheelchairing about and doing the chair exercises. (depending on the day's energy and pain levels!) Do you think I should take those out..  Would hate to upset anyone like the OP!

I find Cunard ships relaxing and surprisingly great fun.😆

Before I go  I must just say that the post quoted above is just about the nastiest I have seen on Cruise Critic but that's just my own humble opinion. I feel it could put a new Cunard cruiser off a bit or worry them

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I like you have never worn a jean, but there is really nothing objectionable or contrary to any dress code to wearing (preferably clean and smart, as with all garments) jeans during the day, and it is perverse to pretend otherwise. It is completely different in the evening, if you want to enjoy all the ships amenities.

I don't think my opinion is perverse simply different. I understand Cunard has gone down market in order to reach the younger set. But that does not change the opinions of those who know the difference. Those that do not will never know.

7 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

I don't think my opinion is perverse simply different. I understand Cunard has gone down market in order to reach the younger set. But that does not change the opinions of those who know the difference. Those that do not will never know.

Your opinion is different to most but that doesn't mean our opinions are down market.

The world is changing and in order to survive,  Cunard is changing with it. If there really are still ''those who know different'' as far as vacation day wear is concerned then they have very little thought for the future of Cunard. 

Almost selfish really.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 1:38 PM, Victoria2 said:

A cruise is a holiday. Even resort five * hotels  have denim wearing guests during the day. That doesn't mean the evenings on QM2 aren't glammed up affairs for those who want to ''dress''. It just means the day time isn't stuffy. 🙂

Anyone who has read all of the comments on this thread might get the impression that blue jeans are compulsory for daytime wear.  Although I haven't worn jeans since I was about eight, I take no umbrage at those who do. But many people dress casually without jeans and in no way is this stuffy. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

Anyone who has read all of the comments on this thread might get the impression that blue jeans are compulsory for daytime wear.  Although I haven't worn jeans since I was about eight, I take no umbrage at those who do. But many people dress casually without jeans and in no way is this stuffy. 

Of course they're not. Jeans  was the initial catalyst  and then the word ''slovenly'' was introduced. Your ''but'' is definitely true but only goes to compliment my comment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExArkie said:

Wheelchairing” is definitely my favorite new word this week

🙃  I don't know where it came from, the word just came naturally when typing🤣

I hope people wear tough shoes in the lifts on QV next week.  I can no  longer take my tiny mobility scooter on board so have had to hire an electric wheelchair (nearly £300) but have never used one before..... I'll make the best of it and walk as much as I can.  I will enjoy, I will enjoy!!🤣

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I hope people wear tough shoes in the lifts on QV next week.  I can no  longer take my tiny mobility scooter on board so have had to hire an electric wheelchair (nearly £300) but have never used one before..... I'll make the best of it and walk as much as I can.  I will enjoy, I will enjoy!!🤣

You bet you will. 😀

10 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

You will.

Trust me.  🙂

8 hours ago, indiana123 said:

I'm just packing for QV next week, and can't wait.  I have packed a couple of posh kind of track suits  to mix and max for just strolling  or wheelchairing about and doing the chair exercises. (depending on the day's energy and pain levels!) Do you think I should take those out..  Would hate to upset anyone like the OP!

You most definitely should wear them.  I’m going to be slovenly in jeans during the day on the same cruise. 😉

• Haha 1

People who fly to meet the ship seem to always be under the gun with luggage size and weight restrictions that prevents them from bringing along a proper blazer for evening wear yet they favor jeans vs year round wool or linen both or which are about 1/3 the bulk of jeans no matter how "designer" they be.  My favorite pro jeaner and trainers pax is a cruise sailor not a liner sailor and that may be the reason for the extra casual approach.  Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone and to those not celebrating this event Happy Holidays may your stocking hung by the heath be filled with ripe stelsin.