P&O cancellation / Medical questionnaire

Cpot

12 minutes ago, 1031 said:

The same thing has just happened to me my husband had a water Infection 8 days ago which has cleared up with medication  but because he had a fever one night 8 days ago nothing to do with covid we tested today as well it was negative  I ticked yes  because fever was on the list it popped up in red letters cannot cruise , we was devastated I thought I would ring p & o and explain why I said yes and i thought sense would prevail and they would just say we can change it but no they said the couldn't do anything THE COMPUTER SAID NO .absolutely disgusting of P & O. I'm not letting this go either .the question needs changing 

I know it has nothing to do with me  but shouldn't all the people being refused cruising demand a doctors note from P&O to say why you cannot cruise? P&O must be making money out of people being refused boarding.

It is clearly an unfair contract. 

P&O are making money. Unless someone takes them to court , fees of £205 for under £5000, £455 under £10000 claim in small claims court. P&O will continue with this crazy unfair system.

For all future cruises the answers to all questions is No , No , No ,No ....  They won't let you be honest, honesty is yes but....  They don't listen to the but. 

So just say NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I have seen on various posts complaints about P&O cancelling a cruise after completion of medical declaration. We had exactly this problem, ticked yes to 'have you suffered from' etc in spirit of honesty as I was getting over a mild cold, had done two negative covid tests, expecting further questions much as the insurance people do. Cruise immediately cancelled and phone call to them just recieved a blunt can't be changed, claim off insurance company. This we did to be told claim off P&O.

Anyone had any success in getting refund?

Bill D.

• Host Sharon changed the title to P&O cancellation / Medical questionnaire
  • Host Sharon pinned this topic

The MCA, Government Agency, has recognised the insurance issue in respect of refused boarding for medical reasons, in this case Norovirus 

“Clearly there would be considerable benefits in screening out passengers who are suffering from an episode of Norovirus. Certainly symptomatic individuals should be identified and prevented from coming aboard. There is an insurance issue here and perhaps the industry could consider an offer of an alternative holiday at some future date to encourage honest reporting.”

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/362998/2007_guideline_norovirus_cruiseships.pdf

• Like 2

Today I completed my questionnaire and like others had had a cough so answered honestly to first question and P&O cancelled my booking. I telephoned, they informed me it’s their policy regardless of the fact I could board with negative covid test and travel pass letter. Been vaccinated, double booster and yet having a cough in past 10 days ‘might’ be linked to coronavirus even though tests were negative when I had cough. No refund, no future cruise credit contact our insurance for refund! Insurance tell me, I haven’t got a Drs letter to say unfit for travel and im not Ill so whose going to refund our money? P&O say no refund because of booking terms but they fail to understand im not cancelling they are so why aren’t they helping. Coronavirus an excuse. We cruised in August, covid negative on departure covid positive on return!!! I couldn’t submit my husbands medical questionnaire after mine as system was down.  After phonecalls I realised if I waited til Friday to complete questionnaire I could have ticked NO to first question as Dr was on 14th of month. I phoned again asked if they could void my medical form and I would resubmit Friday along with my husbands and could enter No to first question. P&O again told me No they couldn’t do that, husband could travel. I tell them No he can’t because he’s registered disabled and I’m his carer again it was no, he too would be cancelled. Regardless none of our info now visible online so can’t do anything..  has anyone managed to recoup their cruise payment and if so how??? So annoyed this is absolutely disgraceful.  I appreciate health worries but if you are fit to travel but they cancel they should be liable to try and resolve NOT keep yr money and possibly re sell cabin.  We also have another cruise booked with them  in March and it just makes u worry over the next trip.

14 hours ago, Karlina said:

Today I completed my questionnaire and like others had had a cough so answered honestly to first question and P&O cancelled my booking. I telephoned, they informed me it’s their policy regardless of the fact I could board with negative covid test and travel pass letter. Been vaccinated, double booster and yet having a cough in past 10 days ‘might’ be linked to coronavirus even though tests were negative when I had cough. No refund, no future cruise credit contact our insurance for refund! Insurance tell me, I haven’t got a Drs letter to say unfit for travel and im not Ill so whose going to refund our money?  P&O say no refund because of booking terms but they fail to understand im not cancelling they are so why aren’t they helping. Coronavirus an excuse. We cruised in August, covid negative on departure covid positive on return!!! I couldn’t submit my husbands medical questionnaire after mine as system was down.  After phonecalls I realised if I waited til Friday to complete questionnaire I could have ticked NO to first question as Dr was on 14th of month. I phoned again asked if they could void my medical form and I would resubmit Friday along with my husbands and could enter No to first question. P&O again told me No they couldn’t do that, husband could travel. I tell them No he can’t because he’s registered disabled and I’m his carer again it was no, he too would be cancelled. Regardless none of our info now visible online so can’t do anything..  has anyone managed to recoup their cruise payment and if so how??? So annoyed this is absolutely disgraceful.  I appreciate health worries but if you are fit to travel but they cancel they should be liable to try and resolve NOT keep yr money and possibly re sell cabin.  We also have another cruise booked with them  in March and it just makes u worry over the next trip.

This is awful, what kind of company cancels someone’s cruise based a a tick in the box and then suggests you get a refund via your insurance company knowing full well the vast majority of insurance policies won’t cover this eventuality. 

• Like 2

On 11/23/2022 at 10:47 PM, Snow Hill said:

This is awful, what kind of company cancels someone’s cruise based a a tick in the box and then suggests you get a refund via your insurance company knowing full well the vast majority of insurance policies won’t cover this eventuality. 

Including their own promoted insurers!   Disgraceful. 

• Like 9

I am not a legal eagle or anything like that. But I would think that if you could prove your cabin was resold then there is absolutely no reason why P&O or any cruise line can deny a person deemed unable to travel by them at least a partial refund. Since we have had to endure Corona Virus it has been both stressful and lifechanging not only for passengers, but also cruise lines and whilst I can see that the fallout has been devastating for cruise companies. Carnival Share prices down from around £40 to as low as just over £5. It has been equally hard for passengers. Now we return to something bordering normal. But there are still big problems. Lack of staff, corona virus still with us and this huge problem which rolls on in one form or another. Firstly we had passengers put ashore with no real idea as to who would cover their costs and added to this we now have these instances where passengers are being denied their cruise for being truthful and subsequently losing out big time because neither the cruise company or the insurance companies will take responsibility. It really is time something was sorted. We seem to be in an age where everyone passes the buck.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I am not a legal eagle or anything like that. But I would think that if you could prove your cabin was resold then there is absolutely no reason why P&O or any cruise line can deny a person deemed unable to travel by them at least a partial refund. Since we have had to endure Corona Virus it has been both stressful and lifechanging not only for passengers, but also cruise lines and whilst I can see that the fallout has been devastating for cruise companies. Carnival Share prices down from around £40 to as low as just over £5. It has been equally hard for passengers. Now we return to something bordering normal. But there are still big problems. Lack of staff, corona virus still with us and this huge problem which rolls on in one form or another. Firstly we had passengers put ashore with no real idea as to who would cover their costs and added to this we now have these instances where passengers are being denied their cruise for being truthful and subsequently losing out big time because neither the cruise company or the insurance companies will take responsibility. It really is time something was sorted. We seem to be in an age where everyone passes the buck.  

The only way this is likely to be resolved is via the courts or if the CMA (Competition & Markets Authority) get involved, as they did at the beginning of the pandemic when a number of travel companies were tardy with their refunds. 

There is an interesting post on the SM site we cant mention, from someone who managed to overturn failed health questionnaire, and subsequently was allowed to travel on their cruises. I hope this trickle of changes from P&O soon turns into a flood, or even that they revert to the old health questionaire and do it at the port.  If this fails then the ships medic can quickly do a covid test if they think the symptoms look severe enough.

I’ve not cruised since before Covid and am going on the Ventura on 2nd March 2023.  I need some extra confidence as I seem to be making very heavy weather of my arrangements.  The booking form says…..Three days before sailing you will need to complete an online Health Declaration at my.pocruises.com. 

I sale at 5 pm on 2nd March.
Do you think 3 days before is 27th, 28th Feb and 1st.March, so I complete the form on the 27th Feb.  Is that correct?

3 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

I’ve not cruised since before Covid and am going on the Ventura on 2nd March 2023.  I need some extra confidence as I seem to be making very heavy weather of my arrangements.  The booking form says…..Three days before sailing you will need to complete an online Health Declaration at my.pocruises.com. 

Do you think 3 days before is 27th, 28th Feb and 1st.March, so I complete the form on the 27th Feb.  Is that correct?

Yes. But don’t fill out the form erroneously because if you make a ‘mistake’ you won’t be going!

8 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

You will receive an e-mail from P&O when the health declaration is available to be completed, but make sure you answer NO to every question otherwise you wont be cruising.

• Like 2

They will send you an email to let you know the form is ready. As DevonUK says be careful how you answer the questions. Under the current rules, if you answer yes to a question about coughs, they will cancel your trip, even if your cough wasn't covid, and they won't change it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

I really hope the questionnaire is not complicated. Does anybody know what they will ask

Basicaly, have you had a cough, diahorrea etc. etc. in the last 10 days.  Answer No to everything otherwise they will cancel your cruise.

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

No need to be careful the answers are No ,No , No ...... to all.

I guess we should read the questions. If P&O have there wits about them they would change the questions a bit. Stick in the odd red herring. Like " has your cough gone, or is it still lingering?" Yes or no, your stuffed.🤣

On 11/27/2022 at 6:56 AM, Morgans said:

I would be interested to know if anyone has actually been successful in a claim from their insurance company regarding this. Please let us what their response has been.....

A very good question.

There was a thread where people postulated what tests and certification would be successful or not to enable a claim. So it would be very interesting to find out if anyone has been successful. There has been a silence lately on actual first hand experiences, NDAs could be at play.

If Megabear2 was still active I am sure she would have extracted chapter and verse from the various insurance companies.

Despite people threatening to go to the media there has been little coverage. The cynic in me thinks the media are looking for stories of pensioners starving or freezing to death due to the  cost of living, so pensioners going on cruises does not fit the narrative,

Edited by Bill Y
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1