Starlink Equipped Ships

Epinz300

Anyone work on Serenade lately just doing voice calls and accessing work related systems? It seemed good on Brilliance in December just browsing the internet. Reason I ask is that my wife will not go on our Serenade cruise if she can't work some. Thinking she will be fine since she won't do video calls.

Edited by coaster

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

If the work doesn't need to be done on some schedule, she should be fine.

Just a clarification for me. She will work during daylight hours. Still good? Good voice calls are the main priority. Trying everything I can to keep our cruise in September on.

Edited by coaster

On 5/11/2023 at 6:37 PM, twangster said:

Screenshot of a YT video posted by Royal Caribbean Blog dot Com 

They toured Icon in the shipyard recently.  During a cabin tour they caught this shot of an access point within a cabin.

image.thumb.jpeg.90aaec202bddd21da03260169c7afa5b.jpeg

Looks like a Cisco 9105AXW.

Royal seems to have settled on Cisco wireless going forward.

For the ignorant among us... What is the significance of this?

25 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

For the ignorant among us... What is the significance of this?

Access points in each cabin means great wifi signal strength in your cabin.  There will be no need to but in a shoe in the cabin door to use the internet.   

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, twangster said:

Access points in each cabin means great wifi signal strength in your cabin.  There will be no need to but in a shoe in the cabin door to use the internet.   

You made me laugh with this one. 

Just now, twangster said:

I wasn't kidding... it works!

My laughing was because I always remember you sharing this story.

I guess you could call it Royal Caribbean‘s best IT, one step forward.😂

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, twangster said:

Oh yeah, I should have figured that out on my own.  Thanks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Looking at booking Freedom for a 3/4 night B2B in July.  Any updates on her wifi?

At this point all ships in the fleet should have been converted to Starlink. Performance can vary, sometimes a lot, based on many factors.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

At this point all ships in the fleet should have been converted to Starlink. Performance can vary, sometimes a lot, based on many factors.

Thanks Biker.  I almost don't think it is overly needed with one sea day over the two sailings, when I can use data in Nassau and CoCo Cay. I'll have to figure out that one on my own.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Unlikely you'll get a connection to the cell tower on the NCL island - Coco Cay doesn't have one.

Now you have me thinking that I might need to get wifi. I know I’ve used cellular data in Labadee but I’m wracking my head to if I had it in CoCo Cay. In my mind I swear I used it to upload some shorts to YouTube but I honestly do not remember. I guess time will tell.🤞

11 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Unlikely you'll get a connection to the cell tower on the NCL island - Coco Cay doesn't have one.

I connect to the GSC tower all the time.  

The problem is, so does everyone else.  Speeds are pretty good until the masses figure out there is cellular.  If NCL has a ship at GSC that's even worse.    

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

In my mind I swear I used it to upload some shorts to YouTube but I honestly do not remember

If you walk out to the furthest point on the island closest to the NCL island you might pick up the cell signal there. The wifi coverage extended from the ship works quite well.

We have never tried the “shoe in the door” method.  But, I can tell you the standing on one foot, twirling around with the phone in the air doesn’t work.😊

while on Grandeur in March, we met some nice people while standing under a router in the area near the Centrum.👍

19 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

Coco Cay beach club current connectivity 

Some may care to know which ship you are talking about - I assume Indy. The wifi on the island is usually just an extension of the wifi from the ship.

Edited by Biker19

11 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Some may care to know which ship you are talking about - I assume Indy. The wifi on the island is usually just an extension of the wifi from the ship.

Indy, however Grandeur is also here today 

A very good extension 😉